Pro-ject Debut iii turntable

To anyone looking for the difference between an Ortofon 2M Red and Blue cartridge, I found this pretty interesting.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=35127

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=39259

One major thing that I learned that is interesting: the body of the cartridge on the red/blue is the same, and the body of the bronze/black is also the same. Meaning if you have a red or bronze and want to upgrade to blue or black (respectively), you can just replace the needle. Awesome!

^ Def good reviews, going to have to look at other forums to see what would be my next move (cart wise.)

I want to upgrade but I took such a huge leap from a $50 TT to a $400 TT that I feel my ears will need to become more pretentious before it would fully upgraded. But cosmetically I liked the 2m series look than the OM#E ones ;)

That just may be my excuse for buying stuff, but it is justified in my vinyl budget (as long as no more releases spurt up consecutively)

So I've found a good price on a Debut Carbon ($319). My current setup is a Techinics SL-D303 turntable > Marantz 2015 receiver > Pioneer CS-R 590 speakers. I've already got a good idea of what to expect in terms of answers to this question, but I have to ask. Is a $319 turntable upgrade going to make a huge difference to what I already have? Or should I aim to upgrade my speakers, perhaps my receiver first?

I was thinking of upgrading my needle, but I was more along the lines of Blue since it's around $200 mark and blue is a rad colo. I understand upgrading to the Red is pointless from where my stock OM5E Debut III is currently at :/

I will probably just save $100 for a year while researching all I can and then decide :P Took me a year to pick out a table and to get an expedit lol

Get the Blue. I have it on my Debut and it's great. The only other upgrade I see myself getting is the acrylic platter. I have the speedbox too.

So how was that jump from a $50 TT to a $400 TT for your ears? Was it incredible? I am about to do somewhat of the same myself ($70 TT to the carbon) and I'm excited to see the difference!

I jumped from a vintage JVC QV-4 to a lightly used Music Hall MMF 5.1 with Oroton Blue. Best money I ever spent. I was a little worried about going to a "manual" table but after one spin that fear was forgotten. Next best upgrade was buying a H/K 3390 receiver and then finding some great bookshelf speakers at a yard sale.

The MMF5.1 is an incredible table. And why worried about a manual table? Turntables are supposed to be simple, no automation.

Now I know. Even an old curmudgeon like me learns new things every day. The bubble on the deck, to me, is the greatest invention ever. Simple, clever and works. I do not want to brag but after two years of checking craigslist every day for used turntables I saw a listing for a MMF 5.1SE with broken dustcover. Check it out and grabbed it for $200 (the dealer said this was at his consigment shop for $40 until someone told him it was a "pretty good" deck). Needed all the accessories and I got most (cannot find the transfew screws) for a few hundred bucks. But this was 10 days after purchasing a new MMF 5.1 black with original cartridge for $600, which is now sitting in the basement in all original packaging with only 30 hours of play. My vintage deck is now on the outdoor porch and doing a heck of a job.

113.jpg