Pro-ject Debut iii turntable

So I'm considering buying this turntable - http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debut

It's $400 retail but a friend has a lightly used version for what I'm assuming will be about half of that. I've read a few really positive reviews saying it's a great value for this price ... http://www.stereophile.com/turntables/pro-ject_debut_iii_record_player http://frankensteinsoundsystem.com/2011/02/pro-ject-debut-iii/

Does anybody own this? I think it's a good investment to upgrade from the one I currently own and at this point I'm looking for people to tell me reasons, if any, why I should avoid it.

Also - hey! First post on these boards. Hi.

It is a good budget table. I own one, and I have added the speed box, the acrylic platter, and an ortofon 2m red cartridge, and I have been pretty happy with it overall. i have been using it for about two years now. prior to that i was using the Audio Technica AT-120, which is a Technics 1200 knock off, and for the price it is great.

my only gripe was my debut's motor took a shit about 6 months after i bought it. i got a new motor sent to me under warranty and installed it myself, and all has been well for the last year and a half.

if you can get one for around $200 used i think that is a pretty good deal and i would say go for it (depending on what you already have).

If buying used, this would be a good table to get. If buying new within the price range of a new Debut III, I recommend the Debut Carbon, due to the carbon fiber arm, and the Ortofon Red cartridge. Both tables are very good, especially if you are able to get a deal on the Debut III. I have a Pro-Ject Xpression II table, and one thing that I like about it is that there are many upgrades you can get to incrementally increase the quality. My first upgrade was the tube box II. It really opened up the turntable into a whole new world of sound from my previous $50 phono preamp. After that, I upgraded the cartridge to an Ortofon Bronze. Combined with the tube box ii, my records were really starting to sound amazing. After that, I started going with minor upgrades. I purchased a speed box II, which allowed me to easily start listening to 45's. Recently, I got the acrylic platter and the Pro-Ject record puck.

These are all upgrades that can be done to a Debut III (and I guess most turntables, for that matter). Upgrading your equipment incrementally is a lot of fun, as you really start to learn what pieces affect frequency response, imaging, and just about everything that has to do with your system. I would definitely buy that used table.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'm going to get it, I'm going to try it out at home later this week. Currently there is a weird problem with my system that I'm hoping is the fault of my current table, and not my receiver. I guess I'll find out soon enough when I test out the new table.

So I'm considering buying this turntable - http://www.project-a....php?prod=debut

It's $400 retail but a friend has a lightly used version for what I'm assuming will be about half of that. I've read a few really positive reviews saying it's a great value for this price ... http://www.stereophi...i_record_player http://frankensteins...ject-debut-iii/

Does anybody own this? I think it's a good investment to upgrade from the one I currently own and at this point I'm looking for people to tell me reasons, if any, why I should avoid it.

Also - hey! First post on these boards. Hi.

Bought it. Loved it. Been using it for about 3 months and it still amazes me every time I listen to it. I have yet to upgrade it, but it seems to be very easy to do so. I would totally recommend it. And since your friend already owns one, I won't even waste time in telling you how beautiful I think it is.

Hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but I have this model and recently upgraded it with a speed box and I have a question.

If I'm playing a record at 33 1/3 RPM a side is complete and I go to flip it, the speed box changes to 45 RPM and I have to switch it back. Is that normal?

The speed box should never change speeds unless you press the button on the front. If turning off the power on your turntable is causing the speed box to switch to 45rpm, I suspect something is wrong with the speed box.

That deal on needledoctor is pretty sweet. Seriously considering it. But is it worth it to save the extra for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Rega RP1, or MusicHall MMF 2.2? All of those retail for closer to $400-$500.

I haven't looked much at the rega or music hall, but as far as audio equipment goes, you get what you pay for. If you plan on using this turntable for the rest of your life, I personally find it better to invest in something that will last and provide the most amount of listening enjoyment. There is a reason that some products cost more than others.

To give you a quick example, I started with the stock cartridge on my xpression ii and an ART $50 phono preamp. I thought my records sounded like complete garbage, and I found it unlistenable. I upgraded the cartridge to an ortofon bronze, and got a pro-ject tube box ii, and now I rarely listen to any of my CDs.

I was thinking of upgrading my needle, but I was more along the lines of Blue since it's around $200 mark and blue is a rad colo. I understand upgrading to the Red is pointless from where my stock OM5E Debut III is currently at :/

I will probably just save $100 for a year while researching all I can and then decide :P Took me a year to pick out a table and to get an expedit lol

I was thinking of upgrading my needle, but I was more along the lines of Blue since it's around $200 mark and blue is a rad colo. I understand upgrading to the Red is pointless from where my stock OM5E Debut III is currently at :/

I will probably just save $100 for a year while researching all I can and then decide :P Took me a year to pick out a table and to get an expedit lol

I have heard good things about the Blue, but I have never heard it myself. I am sure that it is a great cartridge. I wish it was easier to listen to audio products before buying. I am sure with most people on here, you have to do a ton of research and choose based off of reviews. I am happy with everything I own, but it would be nice to actually try these products in stores.