Ear Plugs/Ear Gauges: What's the dealio?

Guest thankyoubasedgod

Guest thankyoubasedgod

Okay VC, so I'm not trying to be judgmental here, even though I really am being judgmental. And I apologize if I offend anyone or come off as disrespectful to those here who may have ear gauges. But this is a music forum and I'm generally not into the 2000s rock music scene, so I ask those of you who are into this scene and have experience with it: what's the deal with ear gauges? I never understood the trend. Why is/was this so popular among "scene" kids and the now boarder line extinct hardcore/emo scene? If you have your ears gauged, why? What is their purpose? Do you like the attention you receive from them, is that what they're about?

Gauges are strange because they're only used/in practice with that little screamo/modern day "pop punk" community. I'm aware of their use in ancient cultures, but in the modern day world they're only worn by kids who like screamo/hardcore/pop punk music. Whereas things like tattoos and piercings have no cultural/musical boundaries.

I've discussed this with many friends over the years and everyone thinks they're disgusting and unattractive. Even some of my friends who have them agree that they are disgusting and give off a "cottage cheese" odor if you don't wash your ears or clean your gauges. That's pretty disgusting. But I've never been able to get anyone to answer why they had them.. And I don't understand. So my main question here is, why? What is the purpose of permanently stretching yours ears and making them smelly?

tumblr_m51zu5bZHq1rq2y6uo1_400.png

303173510_25e4fbff45.jpg

plastic-surgery-repair-of-ear-gauging-indianapolis-dr-barry-eppley.jpg

that they are disgusting and give off a "cottage cheese" odor if you don't wash your ears or clean your gauges. That's pretty disgusting. But I've never been able to get anyone to answer why they had them.. And I don't understand. So my main question here is, why? What is the purpose of permanently stretching yours ears and making them smelly?

As someone with stretched ears, that's a pretty closed minded and ignorant way to look at things.

That would be like me asking why fat dudes in plaid shirts with beards who like bands like hot water music always smell like shit. Do they not realize by getting fat and growing a beard and wearing a plaid shirt they just making themselves smelly?

Guest thankyoubasedgod

I use to have 5/8 lobes, took those suckers out and grew up. If I ever go back to a shit job I will def put them back in.

SCREAMO \m/

I just looked that size up and that doesn't look bad. The smaller ones don't look bad. I'm talking about the ones that seriously stretch your ear lobes out.. What is the point?!

And did your ears close back up?

over a few years i went from an 8 to 0. and then i got bored and took them out.

there was never a "purpose" for it. it was kind of a pain in the ass to do it, but i enjoyed my plugs in the same manner that i did my vans.

Guest thankyoubasedgod

As someone with stretched ears, that's a pretty closed minded and ignorant way to look at things.

That would be like me asking why fat dudes in plaid shirts with beards who like bands like hot water music always smell like shit. Do they not realize by getting fat and growing a beard and wearing a plaid shirt they just making themselves smelly?

I don't think people make a conscious decision to get fat! And everyone smells if they don't practice proper hygiene.

But apparently plugs aren't very hygienic cuz I've had multiple people tell me their plugs smell like cottage cheese by the end of the day when they take them out. So I don't understand what it is about them that people find attractive/makes them want to gauge their ears. This is why I'm asking this question! And again, I apologize if I've offended anyone! I'm just saying what I've observed and been told and asking "why"!

Guest thankyoubasedgod

I think this sums it up pretty well:

I guess it does! It all comes down to personal opinion I guess, but I can't put myself in the shoes of someone that would want them. I just don't see any benefit from having your ears stretched to the point of no return.

The reason why I made this thread is cuz I was just talking to a friend from high school who's dorming out of state, that I haven't spoke with in 2 years. He randomly brought up his gauges and told me they were huge now and he was making them bigger.. But he hates how ever since he reached a certain size, at the end of the day when he takes them off (especially now that it's getting hot and humid out), there's a white gunk on them that smells rotten. Idk, I just can't understand it haha.

All piercings smell bad if they aren't cleaned regularly, even small studs. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that bodily fluids and enclosed spaces create smells.

People get piercings because they like the way they look and/or feel, and people in "scenes" or cultures often use appearance to differentiate themselves from outsiders.

Now did you really not understand that, or did you just want to bash other people?

Guest thankyoubasedgod

Yes, but small piercings don't excrete an incredibly inconvenient and foul smelling cheesy discharge unless I've missed that all of my life. And it's the one thing that I've noticed to be found in and specific to one scene.. Whereas fashion, hairstyles and other piercings and body modifications can usually be found in multiple scenes. So I was simply trying to figure out why that was, and what people found appealing about it.

And yes, you've caught me red handed.. again. I need to figure out how I can outsmart you cuz you're constantly blowing my spot.

Large ones don't excrete "incredibly inconvenient and foul smelling cheesy discharge", if you clean them daily..

Also, since no one has answered your other question - I'm going to make a guess and suggest it started in the late 90's with some sort of metal or hardcore scene because it made people look "tougher" and they were going for intimidation.

Guest thankyoubasedgod

Large ones don't excrete "incredibly inconvenient and foul smelling cheesy discharge", if you clean them daily..

Also, since no one has answered your other question - I'm going to make a guess and suggest it started in the late 90's with some sort of metal or hardcore scene because it made people look "tougher" and they were going for intimidation.

Yeah I actually looked it up and apparently it depends on whether you're still stretching them/if your ears are in the healing stage or not? And what materials your plugs are made out of. Idk, I will admit I'm super ignorant on this topic, but that's why I asked a music forum about it. There isn't much information though on why it resurfaced and became popular again, but what you said is prolly right!

you people are clueless. it didnt start in the hardcore scene by any means. it's been in the modification community well over the last 40+ years and more so in other cultures. ive had my ears stretched for over 20 years and it wasn't for any reason than because i wanted to. same goes for my septum, and very few people know of my septum being pierced because i never wear a cb, just a retainer. everyone has their reasons. my ears are stretched and my ears don't smell by any means, because like the rest of my body i wash and clean them. do you also ask people why they got tattoos?

Guest thankyoubasedgod

you people are clueless. it didnt start in the hardcore scene by any means. it's been in the modification community well over the last 40+ years and more so in other cultures. ive had my ears stretched for over 20 years and it wasn't for any reason than because i wanted to. same goes for my septum, and very few people know of my septum being pierced because i never wear a cb, just a retainer. everyone has their reasons. my ears are stretched and my ears don't smell by any means, because like the rest of my body i wash and clean them. do you also ask people why they got tattoos?

I am clueless, that's why I asked!

And nope, people get tattoos for reasons other than "just because they wanted to", so I understand that. There's decorative purposes behind them and people can also permanently document important people, memories and components of their lives on their bodies through tattooing. It's also seen in multiple fashion and music scenes where as ear stretching isn't and is way less common. I can understand most piercings too, it's decorative. But in my uneducated opinion, I thought ear stretching looked destructive and didn't understand it. So that is why I asked.

Honestly, I think when it comes down to it people just want to be different, and having a huge gaping hole in your ear is different. I remember the first time I ever saw someone with gauges was actually on an episode of Fear Factor, and the girl didn't look like she was "hardcore/emo" or whatever. However it does seem that in the "scene" the size of your gauges can almost be a status thing... I could be totally wrong on that, but that's how I perceive it.

like any type of body mod the person does it because they like it, the way it looks, and the way it makes them feel. I've had my ears stretched for about 3 years now and IF YOU DO IT CORRECTLY they won't 'give off a cottage cheese odor' or whatever else you said.

that being said I work in a professional office (graphic design, so it's a bit more open minded), but it is easy to hide mine by wearing my hair down and I've even got compliments when I wear floral/girly plugs.

but when I see other people with stretched ears I don't automatically think that they like pop-punk. 2 of my close friends have theirs streched, one only listens to rap and the other loves classic rock.