PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

given that they've never had a tour press before, it seems ridiculous to assume that they will have one this time.

FALSE!!!!!!

The blue and silver split variant of the Sink or Swim Demos 7" and the gold/orange variant of the Senor and the Queen 2x7" were both tour variants.

/end nerd rant

I hope they have a different tour press every night of the tour for the next two years.

Giving tickets out to every fifth person in line, you then pay $5 at the merch booth to put your ticket into the lottery.

Three hours after the end of the show, they will draw out thirty names. Those thirty people must name as many Gaslight Anthem songs they can in 30 seconds. Top 15 people get to purchase the record.

FALSE!!!!!!

The blue and silver split variant of the Sink or Swim Demos 7" and the gold/orange variant of the Senor and the Queen 2x7" were both tour variants.

/end nerd rant

I don't think those gold versions were tour variants, I got mine directly from sabot. The demo 7" was for sure, but I don't recall there being anything specific about the senor 7 inchers...

I emailed Infinite Merch and the guy was able to tell me that I'll definitely get a blue one. Don't care about anything else unless they announce something super limited.

All this ordeal does is prove that major labels should leave the vinyl releases to independent labels. If you're a major, and you scoop up a band like Gaslight, just license the vinyl to SideOneDummy and let them make awesome bundles! You know they're going to do it right and you still get to make some cash without pissing off the fanbase.

I emailed Infinite Merch and the guy was able to tell me that I'll definitely get a blue one. Don't care about anything else unless they announce something super limited.

All this ordeal does is prove that major labels should leave the vinyl releases to independent labels. If you're a major, and you scoop up a band like Gaslight, just license the vinyl to SideOneDummy and let them make awesome bundles! You know they're going to do it right and you still get to make some cash without pissing off the fanbase.

Yup.

I think Sabot and Devildance might've had copies in their store for mailorder, but I've never heard the gold S&tQ 7"s NOT be referred to as the tour press. The split one I have also not heard as anything but the "tour press" of that first pressing run.

Gold Senor was definitely available from Sabot. A ton of them - I think all. I ordered one when it went up and then another 3 months later for a friend.

Posting a comment like this on a forum called THE VINYL COLLECTIVE seems a bit obtuse.

It's like when people post on Facebook how stupid Facebook is.

I tend to agree with the poster. I understand there is different strokes for different folks, however; I too don't understand the phenomenon behind variant collecting. Just seems silly to me. When I go to play Handwritten, its going to sound the same on black as it does on blue. Side A is still side A and side B is still side b. I don't understand why I (personally) would need the same record in green, orange, purple, pink, and yellow. Seems like a waste of time searching, money, and space.

I will say though, when something is released I do tend to try to get my hands on the most limited out of all them or the coolest variant if it has some sweet swirl or something, but I have never had a desire to get one of those, then try to score every other color and pressing out there. Just my opinion, I am curious as to why so many people do collect all the colors/pressings though.

As a variant collector for my favorite bands, I fully understand why people don't do it. That being said, it's a hobby for me, like collecting stamps or baseball cards or what not, except that I can actually listen to and get some sort of stimulation out of what I collect.

Just my opinion, I am curious as to why so many people do collect all the colors/pressings though.

I'm not a variant collector, but I understand that "collector mentality" - wanting to have a complete set of something. I used to have that in me back when I collected comic books and baseball cards. I thankfully don't anymore, as I couldn't imagine buying an album several times over no matter how much I love it.

I will say that it occasionally pisses me off when there's a very limited quantity of an album and a bunch of copies are being hoarded by variant collectors. But them's the breaks, I suppose.

Posting a comment like this on a forum called THE VINYL COLLECTIVE seems a bit obtuse.

It's like when people post on Facebook how stupid Facebook is.

Why? Vinyl "collecting" is a fad right now. Labels are trying to cash in on the short window they have to make as much money on releasing variants. It's similiar to what comic book publishers did in the early 90's. Those comics are flooding used comic bins and are probably not worth the paper they're printed on.

In the 20 odd years I've been buying records, I've seen lots of people get into buying records and a few years later unload them. For whatever reasons (Graduating college, marriage, kids, etc...) and buying records took a back seat to life. It'll happen to most everyone on this forum after the fad has died and people have decided to move onto something new. I personally can't wait for the days to return to when I can walk out of a record store with an armful of used records for the price of what a couple of used "rare" or even new records cost now.

Don't take the previous comments as people shouldn't collect records. People should do what they want to make themselves happy. I'm glad there is a resurgence of vinyl. A lot of great records that were out of print, import only, or never released on vinyl have been pressed. The flipside is records are more expensive now than ever. When it comes down to it, It's just a fad right now.

In full disclosure, I do collect variants, but only F.Y.P variants. That's just because I've been doing it for 20 years.

I tend to agree with the poster. I understand there is different strokes for different folks, however; I too don't understand the phenomenon behind variant collecting. Just seems silly to me. When I go to play Handwritten, its going to sound the same on black as it does on blue. Side A is still side A and side B is still side b. I don't understand why I (personally) would need the same record in green, orange, purple, pink, and yellow. Seems like a waste of time searching, money, and space.

I will say though, when something is released I do tend to try to get my hands on the most limited out of all them or the coolest variant if it has some sweet swirl or something, but I have never had a desire to get one of those, then try to score every other color and pressing out there. Just my opinion, I am curious as to why so many people do collect all the colors/pressings though.

I'm with you. If I can get my hands on the rarest/my favorite colored variant out of a bunch - I'll do it. Besides that I'm okay with just owning one copy.