PO: The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

this album is not growing on me. if i could sell my copy for 50 bucks, i probably would.

I want to love this album.. I really think the opening and closing of the album are great, but the middle just kinda drags on. It doesn't really do anything for me, and I really enjoyed American Slang.

Did you guys call each other before posting in this thread?

I want to love this album.. I really think the opening and closing of the album are great, but the middle just kinda drags on. It doesn't really do anything for me, and I really enjoyed American Slang.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about it - 45, Handwritten, Biloxi, Mae & National are terrific songs, the remainder pretty forgettable.

this album is not growing on me. if i could sell my copy for 50 bucks, i probably would.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about it - 45, Handwritten, Biloxi, Mae & National are terrific songs, the remainder pretty forgettable.

None of you will ever be as mad about this album as this guy.

That guy ranting is kind of how I feel about the band overall, but I don't care enough to write huge rantings.

The stuff generally sounds good, but when you really want to dive in and connect with it all, you realize it's not deep, it's just a patchwork of catchy things. I don't DISlike the band, and I do have a copy of all their albums, but they're nothing I go out of my way for.

None of you will ever be as mad about this album as this guy.

that's pretty hilarious. and dare I say, kind of spot on? I mean, I really dig this album, but the dude's right about a lot of stuff.

That guy ranting is kind of how I feel about the band overall, but I don't care enough to write huge rantings.

The stuff generally sounds good, but when you really want to dive in and connect with it all, you realize it's not deep, it's just a patchwork of catchy things. I don't DISlike the band, and I do have a copy of all their albums, but they're nothing I go out of my way for.

totally agree man.

they bonus 7" sold on ebay 2x for 149$

wtf...

Personally, I'm not all that surprised. Maybe a bit higher than I'd have expected, but I had no doubt it would go for a lot.

I hated spending $37 to get this from Germany, but when I realized that $37 is the cheapest I'd ever be able to get it for, didn't really seem that bad. No way somebody is going to pay that kind of money for it and then turn around sell it for less.

Those LPs + 7" probably didn't go for $149 a piece. Someone made an offer for both and he accepted. I offered $75 for one ..he countered at $90. But someone snagged both before I saw the counter offer. Can't see paying more than $50 for just the 7" alone....there is 750 of them. Alot of other records have less pressed than this (with better songs too) and go for way less. But I guess there's multiple variants for those records too..so gotta factor that in.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album as a whole. It's still miles ahead of most other music being put out.

EDIT: WOW, that guy is pissed.

Here's where he lost me:

"Then we have Keepsake, which might be about murdering a woman and dumping her body in the river, but it’s like he wrote that song then fudged it because he wanted to be all nasty and honest like Johnny Cash or Nick Cave but didn’t want his mummy to think he’s not a nice boy. It’s like Nick Cave if you took away all the gothic menace and minatory artistry. Did they have harmonica on any of their older songs? If not that’s another PROPER HEARTLAND ROCK BAND checklist tick."

If he's too dense to realize that this song is about Brian's dad, his liberal use of a thesaurus is not enough to make me take him very seriously.

What I hate about eBay discussion like this is the temptation. Logic dictates that I should just sell my Euro Version +7" for $100 and then go to Hot Topic and pay $15 for a regular pressing. I could then hit IVWT with the remaining $85 and have 6-8 other records I want. It becomes hard to justify holding something like this when you have more interest in hearing a diversity. The solution is that people quit paying insane prices for things like this and I'll have peace in my mind.

Those LPs + 7" probably didn't go for $149 a piece. Someone made an offer for both and he accepted. I offered $75 for one ..he countered at $90. But someone snagged both before I saw the counter offer. Can't see paying more than $50 for just the 7" alone....there is 750 of them. Alot of other records have less pressed than this (with better songs too) and go for way less. But I guess there's multiple variants for those records too..so gotta factor that in.

The auction page states that they sold for $150. So... yeah.

How much was the LP + 7" with shipping to the US from Green Hell/ Flight 13 anyways?

I bought one individually, and it was 30 euro, which I think is/was roughly $37.

What I hate about eBay discussion like this is the temptation. Logic dictates that I should just sell my Euro Version +7" for $100 and then go to Hot Topic and pay $15 for a regular pressing. I could then hit IVWT with the remaining $85 and have 6-8 other records I want. It becomes hard to justify holding something like this when you have more interest in hearing a diversity. The solution is that people quit paying insane prices for things like this and I'll have peace in my mind.

For what it's worth, it sounds like the "Euro Version +7"" is actually a "regular pressing + 7"". I think a couple pages back it was determined to be the US press of the album with a 7" slipped in the shrink.