Am I the only one who was disappointed with the 10th anniversary pressing of Your Favorite Weapon?

Well, firstly, seeing as how none of the tracks have their original segues (why?) this leads me to believe the record has been remixed, if the finished master they originally made 10 years prior had these songs linked together. But it wasn't advertised as being a remix, only "remastered". There is obviously alot more than a remaster going on here. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I do kinda like that we get to hear a few extra seconds of each track and how they were oriinally performed in-studio.

The audio quality is what really rustles my jimmies here though. The back cover credits the original mastering engineer (why? this is irrelevant) as well as the new mastering engineer and the location where it was mastered. But the disc itself says MASTERDISK, which does not match up with the info given on the back. Da fuk?

Secondly, the audio presentation certainly doesn't sound like it's of the quality that I associate Masterdisk with. I've never heard a record this bad before. The highs are extremely sibilant and splatter everywhere, obviously a bad cut. Sounds like someone played the lacquer before it was plated or something, because the mastering engineers at Masterdisk surely know how to make a good sounding cut with clean high end.

It ain't my equipment, my setup is meticulously aligned to Baerwald, and I use a line contact stylus, so sibilance and inner groove distortion simply aren't words that apply to my setup. Or any of my other records.

This sounds so bad it's embarassing. The pressing isn't much to write home about either. surface noise could be lower, vinyl could be flatter, and it could've been centered better. But all of that could be forgiven if the cut didn't suck so hard. For what it's worth, I have the white vinyl.

So what gives?

i listened to my clear copy yesterday, and for the first time, noticed that the sound quality wasnt up to par.

just about everything else you mention is looking far more into it than i ever would.

I'm keeping it, besides, I paid way more than $5 so thats not happening lol.

I can't help but to feel like I was ripped off though. THis clearly is a shoddy product and could have been improved with only slightly more care than they ended up putting into it. But I suppose Triple Crown assumes all the Brand New fanboys will get their panties in a bunch over any affordable vinyl repress and will be more than happy with it on their Crosleys.

I may look into things too much, but it's better than to have looked into things too little. That's why I seek out the best issues of albums I like, and the CD clearly is better sounding than this abomination. If the 1st press were better sounding I would splurge and buy one without hesitation. But the most probable case is that it was cut from 16/44 files, so why even bother.

Labels should stop bleeding their customer's pockets with inferior products. Thats just my 2 cents. When it comes to what is supposed to be a niche and premium product, "good enough" doesn't quite cut it. Especially when it's not even as good as the standard CD.

go ahead and talk shit about daisy. youre the one blind to a solid and ambitious piece of art... not me.

also, my first down vote! yay!! realtalk was right! everyones hates me on here.. it only took a week for anyone to show it!

go ahead and talk shit about daisy. youre the one blind to a solid and ambitious piece of art... not me.

also, my first down vote! yay!! realtalk was right! everyones hates me on here.. it only took a week for anyone to show it!

I don't hate you. Failure By Design was the first BN song that I heard and they've been my favorite band for years so I had to defend it, ya know? Also us Daisy liking folks have to stick together.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a copy of it yesterday at Hot Topic and listened to it and it sounded perfectly fine. I'm not using a cheap player either. Running an AudioTechnica LP120 into an Onkyo receiver through a pre-amp. I'm quite happy with the pressing.

*throws in obligatory, press "Deja Entendu" again plead*

I just bought a copy of it yesterday at Hot Topic and listened to it and it sounded perfectly fine. I'm not using a cheap player either.

Running an AudioTechnica LP120 into an Onkyo receiver through a pre-amp. I'm quite happy with the pressing.

*throws in obligatory, press "Deja Entendu" again plead*

wat.

Didn't even know HT was still selling these.

I just bought a copy of it yesterday at Hot Topic and listened to it and it sounded perfectly fine. I'm not using a cheap player either. Running an AudioTechnica LP120 into an Onkyo receiver through a pre-amp. I'm quite happy with the pressing.

Agreed. Played my black copy on my set-up (Debut III, Marantz Receiver) back when they came out, and I have no complaints about sound quality. Production could have been better on the CD anyway so in comparison I notice no reduction in quality.