Old Canes "Shapeshifter" Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2111642971/old-canes-shapeshifter-7-vinyl-series

Remember this? It was funded January 17th 2011 and to date, has not produced a thing. The last update was in March, with Chris saying he had recorded one 7" worth of material. Has anyone heard anything interesting concerning this series? Anyone think this will ACTUALLY happen in our lifetimes? Call me crazy but it seems more than a little irresponsible to take $4,390 from people and not produce anything in a year and a half.

Project Update #2: Art Is Hard

backer_white.png For backers only, Posted by CCrisci fb-like.gif

Thank you everyone for your patience. This project has, obviously, taken much much longer than I originally estimated. At the time I started this Kickstarter I had (and still have) about 12 songs written, instrumentally, and about 5 with lyrical ideas. The plan was to take 6 of the songs and record them for the Shapeshifter series and then have a head start on the rest of the next album. I have since then recorded the 6 songs instrumentals, only to find myself stuck during the tracking of vocals.

I have lost count of how many re-writes I have done for these songs. Lets just say that it’s become very common for something to look good on paper, but sound bad on tape. Between the re-writes and obligations on other recording projects, Appleseed Cast, my day job, family etc… time has drifted on me, and here I am a year and a half later, having not yet delivered on this! I am truly sorry for that.

If I can offer up some good news, it’s this: I have recently hit the jackpot on two songs. Lyrics that look good on paper and sound good on tape… and this has given me the key to move forward. I know how I am going to do it. Or I should say, I know the voice I need to do it in. The recording of the instrumentation is already done, so now it’s just a matter of getting a few good takes of vocals and mixing. The project is again in forward motion and I should have news for you soon on the first of the 3 7”s. Thank you so much for your patience, I appreciate it very very much.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just recently left a comment asking that a survey be sent out collecting updated addresses if these ever do ship out. Considering it's close to two years since this was funded, I can't be the only one that has moved. That being said, I don't think we'll ever see a thing. At the two year point, the 4K has been spent I'm sure, a lot of backers have probably moved on, and I'm sure he feels safe just letting the project die.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is one of you guys, but someone left this comment on the page and I totally agree with him:

"We are going on two years for this soon enough. I can take failure. I can live without the money I pledged. What I can't accept is that an artist who I've supported for years and have respected can't find the time to give more than two updates in all this time. Be brave, say it's off, offer those that pledged spots on the guest list to upcoming Old Canes or Appleseed Cast shows and let's all let this one go and simply return to being fans instead of funders. I think this is reasonable and fair."

Well put. This shit is ridiculous. He needs to pull the plug and admit defeat.

That was me man. Ha ha.

I pledged the Doug TenNapel Kickstarter and have gotten literally 17 updates before it's finished with photos of his continuing progress. Made me think of how awful Old Canes has been. I know I'll still dig Appleseed and figure a spot on the guest list to an upcoming show would be a nice way to call it all even and just be friends going forward as artist/fan.

After I wrote that last post Doug TenNapel sent me the 19th update on his project. He wrote this as well:

"My favorite part of this campaign ending is that I won't be obsessively checking the Kickstarter campaign about 1,000 times a day! This has been an amazing experience, and you've all blessed me with generosity and kindness I don't deserve. I'm in your debt, and I'm going to work hard to get you the most amazing book and goodies I can possibly make. You've already helped me win, and now I want to make sure you feel a win too!"

Night and Day, huh?

After I wrote that last post Doug TenNapel sent me the 19th update on his project. He wrote this as well:

"My favorite part of this campaign ending is that I won't be obsessively checking the Kickstarter campaign about 1,000 times a day! This has been an amazing experience, and you've all blessed me with generosity and kindness I don't deserve. I'm in your debt, and I'm going to work hard to get you the most amazing book and goodies I can possibly make. You've already helped me win, and now I want to make sure you feel a win too!"

Night and Day, huh?

uh, he also had 1550 backers and raised almost 110K. im not saying it justifies whats going on with the OC stuff, but 100 backers and barely meeting a 4K goal may not inspire them to post updates (or do the work, apparently)