Tone arm not returning

So I have a JVC L-A31, with an automatic return. Problem is, when it returns, it starts to slide away from it's little holder and drops back on the record near the beginning. This wouldn't be such a nusiance if it didn't hop and leave a mini scratch on the record when it's supposed to lock into place. This only happens when I'm playing a 12" 33 somehow, one anything else it doesn't fall exactly where it's supposed to but it doesn't fall on the record or the platter.

I'm just wondering if this is a common problem with auto-returns or if I'm going to have to open it up and figure it out. I thought it might be tracking weight and the arm being too light but nothing change much when I changed the weight. I play at 1.8g.

I had the exact same problem with the JVC L-A55. It's an easy fix.

First take off the platter (so that it won't fall down when you flip the table), then remove the screws on the bottom and open it up. You'll see a lever that pushes the tonearm to it's resting place. On that lever, there is a piece of rubber that has become sticky due to age. Just tape it over (it's easier than removing it) with some paper tape, and clean the tonearm bit in case it is a little sticky as well. That should do it.

This :P

Not going to lie, I miss being able to have my M. Ward record put me to sleep at night </3

I agree with this. When I used to use my dad's old automatic player, I would leave the record on while I fell asleep since it would turn off on it's own. Other than going to sleep though, there is nothing that I like better about that table than the one I have now.

i turned off my auto return because sometimes the arm lock would fall closed while a record was playing, and cause a similar experience to this.

also the auto return made some lock grooves, oddly shaped 7"s, and smaller discs like 5"s impossible to play.

theres a small switch under my platter that needs to be turned with a flat head screw driver, twisting it one way turns off the return, and twisting it another turns it back on.

theres also similar switches for speed adjustments under there as well.

not saying your table would do anything like this, i'm just ramblin' about myself.

A turntable without at LEAST auto return is like buying a car without power steering. Sure it'll work but why would it be a perk?

I'm not sure if this is serious or not. You guys realize that high end tables don't have any automation right? I don't and never will own another turntable with any type of automation.

Q Up, bitches. Q Up.

http://www.needledoctor.com/The-QUP

http://thequp.com/videos.html

And c'mon ajxd ... I agree with you in principal, but we're on Vinyl Collective here, not Audiogon. The bar & grill down the street from my house isn't high-end either, but damn if they don't make the best veggie ruben in the world. My cell isn't high-end, but it makes crystal clear phone calls.

Beside, there are plenty of automatic / semi-auto tables that sound pretty sweet, and if you can find a reputable one that is in great shape or that has been serviced recently, chances are it will be trouble-free for a long, long time.

Whoa whoa whoa. Veggie Ruben in Charlotte? Tell me where, as I'll be there Saturday!

And yes, I do have to take the audience into consideration. You make the valid statement that melikecheese forgets, "has been serviced recently", but how many of these posters even know where to get service? I worked with one of the most noteable repair guys in the US, Joel Thorner of The Turntable Factory. Since his passing, I have no idea where half the internet sends their tables for repair nowadays.

The Comet Grill, baby! Definitely my favorite bar food in Charlotte: http://www.cometgrillcharlotte.com/

As with all vintage gear, turntables come with a buyer-beware warning. The chances of one needing repair or servicing is certainly greater than that of a new TT. Still, I think that there's plenty of reliable, well-built + great-sounding vintage machines out there; you just have to do a little research and understand what you're getting yourself into.

Vintage repair guys are few and far between, but they're out there. Again, just do a little digging. Also, some of these automatic turntables aren't all that complicated. If you have a problem, post your issue on a reputable forum and usually you'll receive good advice. Shit - slinch knew exactly what the OP's problem was and the fix was a simple piece of tape.

Basically, different strokes for different folks. Some people appreciate the convenience of automatic features, and that's fine. You can still discover great sound if you go that route. Of course, you'll hit the ceiling pretty quickly in terms of upgrades.

Other people work their way up the hi-fi ladder and yeah, you won't find much automation at the top. What's more is that there is way more opportunities to tweak and modify your setup, and that can be a real bonus if you're someone who is always searching for a better, transcendent sound from your gear.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...