Gaslight Anthem "45 RPM Club" fan club membership (w/bonus 7-inch annually)

I'm not into participating in this kind of speculation butttt I'm pretty sure Brian went through a divorce recently, so I think that would contribute to his temperamental behavior and attitude lately. It's gonna take some time for him. And yeah, the fan club was a bitter experience for most, even myself. But I just chalk all this up to rough patches. The band's nowhere near done. 

Not only a divorce but his ex is the sister of a bandmate (right?).

That's gotta be a really akward situation.

even reading they almost broke up bums me out. i will probably cry if they do. while he does say ryan adams couldn't have written heartbreaker with whiskeytown he follows that up right away saying "but i know i can do what i want with these guys" so i'm not worried for the immediate future. when i saw them on stage last year he looked like he was having as much fun as i've ever seen him have.

that being said - it sounds like no brian solo record? i'm pretty okay with this if it means more gaslight.

Does this mean more or less songs about Maria ?

Probably the same amount. They've been giving interviews about redefining their sound since 59. And essentially, all of their records sound like Gaslight, except for maybe Handwritten, which sounds like Gaslight-lite. Not an edge to be found on that one.

Brian comparing himself to Ryan and Gaslight to Whiskeytown is ridiculous. Ryan has a lot more talent than Brian has. Covering pop songs with an acoustic guitar does not make you a singer/songwriter, it makes you like every other person on youtube with a fucking ukelele.

Well he's never been as good as Springsteen, Westerberg or Strummer either, but that's not really the point.

Good band for a few years. They fell apart because of their "extreme" influences. I dont mean Gary Cherone but instead trying too hard to write like Bruce while acting like Eddie. Never figured out who they were. Consciously trying weird instruments might help but itll take a few albums.

Looking forward to the next album exclusively featuring theremins, sitars, and Brian on the didjeridoo.

Good band for a few years. They fell apart because of their "extreme" influences. I dont mean Gary Cherone but instead trying too hard to write like Bruce while acting like Eddie. Never figured out who they were. Consciously trying weird instruments might help but itll take a few albums.

I can totally see Brian covering ' More Than Words' and acting like his was the best version ever.

If they fell apart...I couldn't tell from Handwritten. Thought that album was just as good as any..other than SOS. And they never found their identity....so why does every album sound like a TGA album? Where's the emoji for rolling my eyes when I need it? Could use that emoji a bunch of times on the past few pages. Opinions... Everyone's got one.

If they fell apart...I couldn't tell from Handwritten. Thought that album was just as good as any..other than SOS. And they never found their identity....so why does every album sound like a TGA album? Where's the emoji for rolling my eyes when I need it? Could use that emoji a bunch of times on the past few pages. Opinions... Everyone's got one.

lol let me rephrase it then. Their identity is writing lyrics like Bruce while trying to be Pearl Jam. It was interesting til about 2010. Shit they were a big reason why my wife and I drove 7 hrs to a festival before. I wish they couldve evolved into something more. When I think about them I think of Bruce, eddie, dulli, etc. They championed their fav bands a little too much without doing anything special of their own.

Opinions... Everyone's got one.

Yeah, including you.

They championed their fav bands a little too much without doing anything special of their own.

Disagree with this. I think they've done pretty well combining their influences into their own thing. I've always liked how much Brian wears his influences on his sleeve and uses them as the setting for his own music. I mean he lifts whole lines from other songs. It's not like he does that thinking no one would notice. It's the point of most of his writing that all those guys are the soundtrack to what's going on around him. That's pretty much what the entirety of The 59 Sound is about.

That said, he obviously boxed himself in writing that way album after album and it's no surprise that it became a hard thing to get away from in terms of people expecting it. And it never helped that he always describes his own stuff as sounding like other bands. I remember in the lead up to American Slang he described it as sounding like The Jam and The Who and a few other bands. And it really didn't at all, so it seemed kind of strange that he would put that sort of weight on it when he could have just as easily described it as its own thing. It's lame to hear him getting this pissy about it now when he did it to himself.

Who really does anything new these days anyways? Shit like Skrillex is what "new" music sounds like today. If you've got two guitars, a bass and drums someone else has used that chord progression, or had a similar drum beat, etc...

Sounds like Brian wants change just for the sake of change. I don't think the vast majority of their fans have any problem with the current musical trajectory. They don't care if it sounds similar to another band, just that it sounds good.

Brian comparing himself to Ryan and Gaslight to Whiskeytown is ridiculous. Ryan has a lot more talent than Brian has. Covering pop songs with an acoustic guitar does not make you a singer/songwriter, it makes you like every other person on youtube with a fucking ukelele.

"Hold You Up" is a pretty good Whiskeytown-era Ryan Adams impression, in my opinion.

Let the dude grow within the genre a little bit before you compare him to a random dude on youtube.

My take is that moderate success went to homeboy's head and he needs to take himself much less seriously.

Be grateful that people give a shit about your band and get over yourself a little bit. The Springsteen thing (which you instigated by the way) will never go away so just learn to ignore it and realize that a million people would give their left nut to be in your shoes.

I say all of this as an admitted Gaslight fanboy.

• 1 month later...