PO: OM - Advaitic Songs

• 1 year later...

That is fuckin' sexy, franco. Well done!

Glad to reignite some passion on the board for them.

Can anyone tell me if Advaitic Songs come in a gatefold sleeve? I've seen many pictures but none of it opened and the few spine photos I've seen make it look like it would be gatefold.

I have yet to order a copy but I've got Pilgrimage and the other three LP's are on their way to me.

Any input on ordering from Holy Mountain Records direct?

Can anyone tell me if Advaitic Songs come in a gatefold sleeve? I've seen many pictures but none of it opened and the few spine photos I've seen make it look like it would be gatefold.

It's not a gatefold, just a wider sleeve to hold the 2xLP.  Also, OM is rad and I'm glad to see some other board members dig them.  They don't really get much love around here, none of the Drag City artists seem to.

I've been trying to get into Advaitic Songs, can't get into it as much as the first two albums. :unsure:

I'm going to keep trying, we'll see.

Honestly, I think there's something to love about all five albums. Its taken me a long time to get to this point where I can really appreciate them all on their own. There's definitely way less fuzz bass on AS and I think that and the fact that the instrumentation is much more representative of the instruments that would be used for this style of music that they're borrowing from and overall its much cleaner sounding is what makes this album a bit harder to swallow for some fans. But I have to say that hearing "Sinai" (with its sick drum groove) and "Haqq al-Yaqqin" melodically transform over the course of their 10 to 11 minute duration is an excellent listening experience and worth the price of admission. The rest of the album is great as well.

It's not a gatefold, just a wider sleeve to hold the 2xLP.  Also, OM is rad and I'm glad to see some other board members dig them.  They don't really get much love around here, none of the Drag City artists seem to.

Thanks for the answer. Gonna be a pain to store it the way I typically store LP's.

One of my favorite bands. I have been following them since their first release, now have everything they've put out incl. 7"/10"s and Al's solo stuff. Need more! Hopefully a new record is in the works. Btw, they are also one friggin' awesome live band.

I'd have to say "Rays of the Sun/To the Shrinebuilder" from the split w/Current 93 is my favorite track. Try it on a good stereo or good headphones.

Honestly, I think there's something to love about all five albums. Its taken me a long time to get to this point where I can really appreciate them all on their own. There's definitely way less fuzz bass on AS and I think that and the fact that the instrumentation is much more representative of the instruments that would be used for this style of music that they're borrowing from and overall its much cleaner sounding is what makes this album a bit harder to swallow for some fans. But I have to say that hearing "Sinai" (with its sick drum groove) and "Haqq al-Yaqqin" melodically transform over the course of their 10 to 11 minute duration is an excellent listening experience and worth the price of admission. The rest of the album is great as well.

Yeah, I mean, it's a pretty sweet album overall I guess. Maybe it's less that I don't really enjoy it and more that I don't see myself listening to it as often as I'd like to necessitate my purchase of an album on vinyl. I'm trying to limit myself lately because my other hobbies are expensive too :/