Death Waltz Recording Co. Vinyl Soundtrack Label for Cult Film Enthusiasts

Hey, guys!  I have a few questions about receiving subscription titles in the US.  One thing that frustrates me about ordering from DW as a US customer is the lack of knowing when anything ships and having a reasonable window of patience.

For instance, I ordered Mangiati Vivi and Chopping Mall on May 5/6 and waited until the end of June to write DW about the orders.  Apparently, Mangiati was shipped and supposedly signed for (I live in a boring sub-division).  I guess Chopping Mall was never sent.  Spencer refunded me for Mangiati and sent Chopping Mall again (still waiting on that).  

I am new subscription member and I just remembered the email sent on May 19th said City of the Living Dead would ship June 21.  So, here I am close to August and have no idea if it was even sent.  What about Godzilla?  

Can any of you US customers give me some peace of mind since I spent a good chuck of change for these awesome titles?

Thanks! 

Hey, Velocirafftor. Welcome. First, it can take up to 4 weeks for records to arrive from UK. I find most DWRC shipments take between 2-3 weeks to reach me on the northwest coast counting from the date they were actually dispatched. This is a key detail. Pre order dates and even release dates don't mean much to a subscriber. It is the subscription ship dates that matter. For example, COTLD didn't ship to subscribers until Godzilla did. Mine just arrived today. This is pretty typical for DWRC. They often ship subscription records in pairs. So, in brief,

-Pay attention to those subscriber emails! They will tell you things like what is shipping with what and when.

-If it's been a month since they were supposed to ship and you've not seen them, it's time to inquire.

-COTLD and Godzilla should be arriving soon.

Lastly, Chopping Mall is made by Waxwork in the USA. Its for sale on their site and not through DWRC. Also, it's not out yet. This could help explain why you don't have it yet and why Death Waltz won't ship it to you. Chin, chin!

Lastly, Chopping Mall is made by Waxwork in the USA. Its for sale on their site and not through DWRC. Also, it's not out yet. This could help explain why you don't have it yet and why Death Waltz won't ship it to you. Chin, chin!

Whip, thanks for replying!  I did not know they shipped sub titles in pairs; that's good to know.  Also, regarding Chopping Mall, I was talking about Slumber Party Massacre, haha.  

Where do you find out what items have been dispatched?  Twitter/Instagram/FB/DW Site?  I don't have any emails saying if anything has been shipped.  

Edit:

So, I just received Godzilla and CotLD and much to my dismay, the top left corner of the box was torn off and the corners are severely bent.  The box was also the flimsiest box for vinyl I've ever seen.  I know they're trying to cut down on shipping costs to the US, but I'll gladly pay for top notch shipping boxes.  These jackets are extremely nice; however, I don't want bent ones.  I guess I'll have to see if they can send me replacement jackets.  

I've only ordered one other thing directly from DW and actually received it.  Part of me feels, it's really just not worth subscribing or ordering directly from them anymore and sticking to LITA.  I wonder if they'll do subs through them for US customers at some point.  

What a downer.

That stinks. I'd encourage you to email them directly. They are pretty good at working with customers, but they are small and it may take more than one reminder email. Their cardboard is garbage. Every package I've gotten from them has been coming apart around the tape, but thankfully the records have all been fine. I read elsewhere that a lot of UK mailers are pretty sub par. I wish they did subs through LITA as well if only for the safety of the records. I'll be interested to hear what they say about swapping out your covers.

Yeah, the DW mailers are pretty rubbish. I don't know if they use different ones for shipping overseas, but these are what we get:

It's basically a card envelope.

I was actually surprised that both records arrived in great condition!

Holy moly, that is bad!  I'm sure I would have received the same thing if DW had sent me just 1lp.  It was just a flimsy box that I feel I could spit on and disintegrate it.  I understand reducing shipping costs, but I'd rather have a protected LP and not deal with the hassle of replacing anything.  

I know everyone complains about the UK mailers but they are standard vinyl record mailers that have been used for years.  As a club dj i used to receive hundreds probably thousands of records with this type of mailer & they were 99% of the time absolutely perfect when i got them.  I imagine that when these collectable records are sent they use stiffeners inside to make them a bit more sturdy.

Yeah, the DW mailers are pretty rubbish. I don't know if they use different ones for shipping overseas, but these are what we get:

Yes, this is the same mailer I've seen Death Waltz ship to me in the US. I stopped buying from them over a year ago because of damaged records. I was in contact with Spencer about these shitty mailers and he said that they used the best mailers available in the UK and had no access to stiffeners either. I have ordered from many UK shops and never seen anything as bad as Death Waltz. I have a real problem with any company that does mail order for a living and can't at least try and make sure records arrive safely.

3aHNbE7.jpg

It's basically a card envelope.

I was actually surprised that both records arrived in great condition!

Yes, this is the same mailer I've seen Death Waltz ship to me in the US. I stopped buying from them over a year ago because of damaged records. I was in contact with Spencer about these shitty mailers and he said that they used the best mailers available in the UK and had no access to stiffeners either. I have ordered from many UK shops and never seen anything as bad as Death Waltz. I have a real problem with any company that does mail order for a living and can't at least try and make sure records arrive safely.

The best mailers available in the UK?  I've received vinyl from Amazon UK, other UK shops, and other parts of Europe and have never seen these mailers before.  A reissue label that puts this much love and care into their releases should take a further step and ensure they actually arrive safely especially if these releases cross the pond.  

The best mailers available in the UK?  I've received vinyl from Amazon UK, other UK shops, and other parts of Europe and have never seen these mailers before.  A reissue label that puts this much love and care into their releases should take a further step and ensure they actually arrive safely especially if these releases cross the pond.  

IF you put a cardboard stiffener in one of these then they are fine. Being in the UK, I've received plenty of these (and at least one from the USA); they've all come with stiffeners and the records have all arrived in excellent shape. Without a stiffener, the rigidity is being 'provided' by the record and then these must suck mightily. They are far from being the only mailer that suffer this problem though.

I was on Banquet records ordering online page for an unrelated reason. They seem like a good place to use as they're a very popular UK mailorder company and they use the cardboard envelopes.

We ship CDs in Mail Lite padded envelopes. Vinyl is dispatched in the strongest mailers available in the UK with multiple card stiffeners to protect your purchase. Posters are sent in rigid tubes, separate from the rest of your order. We aim to package your order with care and we're always reviewing our packaging to improve it. We ship around 40,0000 orders worldwide annually with around 0.5% reported damaged in transit.

Well first up they're not the strongest mailers available in the UK (with or without stiffeners). Earache's are much better.

Also, let's assume that there's an extra zero rather than a comma in the wrong place and so that makes it 40,000 orders a year. 0.5% of that is 800. That actually seems like a lot to me and I would expect the significant majority of those to be vinyl as padded envelopes for CDs seem to do the job (in my experience) better than 99.5% of the time.

For what it's worth, I have been ordering vinyl here for about 25 years and the mailer shown has been pretty much the de facto standard. And I have sent and received vinyl and sent with no real issue. Mind you a lot of this was not really for collectible reasons, just how music was delivered...but I don't remember any real issues.

However, recently with vinyl becoming more fashionable I have noticed a few more solid card offerings which wrap around being used, mainly from Europe and a few from the UK.

Death Waltz Recording Co. are proud to be stocking a carefully curated selection of titles from other labels in our webstore including releases from GOBLIN, ENNIO MORRICONE, ANDREW LILES, NICO FIDENCO, BARRY GRAY and many more.

http://deathwaltzrecordingcompany.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=673c806be6df971e159ac0bd8&id=3061121fec&e=4c62d41ea7