Someone press The Fountain Soundtrack

Seriously though the music for this movie is stunning. I haven't seen it in years because it's tough to revisit. It was one of the more intense theatrical experiences I've ever had though.

The first time I saw it, there were about 100 of us in the theater and about 50 of them left halfway through with various degrees of laughter and "the fuck?" When the credits rolled, another larger group laughed and threw their hands up in frustration and I heard things like, "What the hell was that?"

Once those people were gone, though, those of us in the audience who remained until the last second of the credits sat in stunned silence broken only by the muffled sounds of people weeping.

• 2 weeks later...

2deep4u?

No. Aronofsky's movies usually suffer from his apparent vanity and complete (well placed?) lack of faith in the intelligence of his audience.

He starts off with some sort of theme he wants to convey and is so terrified that his audience isn't going to understand his 'really important' message that he just clobbers them over the head with it for basically the duration of the movie.  zero subtlety.

It's like being proud that you FINALLY saw the sailboat when all he really did is draw a really big fucking sailboat.

No. Aronofsky's movies usually suffer from his apparent vanity and complete (well placed?) lack of faith in the intelligence of his audience.

He starts off with some sort of theme he wants to convey and is so terrified that his audience isn't going to understand his 'really important' message that he just clobbers them over the head with it for basically the duration of the movie.  zero subtlety.

It's like being proud that you FINALLY saw the sailboat when all he really did is draw a really big fucking sailboat.

100% disagree with you, I think you're digging too deep into it.  I never found his movies to be the type of "the big reveal"... he tends to simply convey a concept and then examine the details of it for the hidden beauty.

He starts off with some sort of theme he wants to convey and is so terrified that his audience isn't going to understand his 'really important' message that he just clobbers them over the head with it for basically the duration of the movie. zero subtlety.

I'd like you to go very in-depth on how this is the case for Black Swan for example. Cause I didn't get the feeling you have during that at all.

The thing about Aronofsky and why he is so extraordinary in my point of view is that all of his movies except for Noah, which is sadly his worst, invoke an emotional or rather spiritual intelligence in the viewer. Imagine an ocean of feels, his plots are simply tiny rafts that are influenced by the stream.

The ironic part about Noah is that the huge arc Hollywood made him build was too big to actually make the viewer feel anything else except the puffed up plot.

I'd say his characters are so over the top so it would be easier for the viewer to actually take the ride, be absorbed by it.

So yeah, the plot is happening quite obviously, if you want to participate though is your choice.

Definitely an awesome movie, no questions asked, I'm just saying that it's my least favorite from him.

Edit: I think Black Swan was his mainstream sweet spot without being to 'artsy' for the moneygivers, with Noah he finally had the funds but also more people telling him what he can and can't do. Executive Producers can be the worst.

• 3 months later...