Crackly sound on 1970 Magnavox

So I have this old 1970 Magnavox record player- you know, the ones in the rectangular box that look like furniture. Well, it sounds great except for one thing- whenever I play a record, I'll notice that the sound is super crisp/clear for the first song or song and a half on the record. But as the needle/arm moves closer to the middle of the record, the sound starts to get crackly/distorted. I've noticed this pattern with each record I play and I was curious if anyone has any insight into what would be causing this pattern of clarity ---> crackly/distorted sound. I've checked this out on many records and it's consistent each time.

Is it as simple as getting a new needle for it or is something else going on?

If it sounds good at the beginning, I wouldn't say its the needle. Check to timing of when it sets in on multiple records. Use a stop watch. It sounds like there could be an issue with the wiring within the tonearm. If it gets to a certain point, and the static starts, it could be the angle of the tonearm that causes a kink in the wiring. Not the easiest of fixes, but it can be done.

Is it consistent that you start a record, song and half later it gets distorted, if you restart the record from the beginning it sounds fine again?