Is dead format.........dead?

2 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Dead format is pointless. What's the point of it?

You may as well just make your own list on Microsoft Word. 

Discogs is far superior.

So much this, I hate trying to look at people's for sale list there and trying to decipher what it is they are selling!

27 minutes ago, ok_computer said:

Discogs makes it hard to curate my wants when I just want a copy of an album that's been pressed 20+ times, but I don't particularly care which pressing. I'm not really using any social aspects of Deadformat, but it's great for keeping my lists.

Discogs has this little button you can push called "Add to wantlist"  you can add as many items/pressings as you want.  My want list currently has about 800 items.

4 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Discogs has this little button you can push called "Add to wantlist"  you can add as many items/pressings as you want.  My want list currently has about 800 items.

And I get that, which is useful for shopping on Discogs. But sometimes I just want an uncluttered list I can refer to when I'm looking around a record store or something. (edit, I do get your point though, a word doc on my phone would accomplish the same thing more or less)

Edited by ok_computer

6 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

Dead format is pointless. What's the point of it?

You may as well just make your own list on Microsoft Word. 

Discogs is far superior.

Between 2007-2013ish,  maybe 2014, it was a thriving community like this. Lots of good people talked about a lot of different kind of music. Collections were simple to track and prior to Nick expanding, linking to one's collection was easy. It was great. I see why it looks like nothing now. But at one point, I was on DF many hours any given day.

Edited by somethingvinyl

2 hours ago, museummouth said:

Yeah the dead format boards used to be a great place to buy. Usually cheaper than on here too. Got some great stuff on there. 

I'll back this statement up all the way. I stumbled upon DF and VC around the same time. I spent the majority of my time on DF and acquired a large portion of my collection through sellers on there. Most of, it not all my white whales have been thanks to DF sellers. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad Nick is keeping the Tradelist function alive.  If he could get that marketplace working with wants/haves to match up with a notification feature like Discogs- that would be an awesome alternative to weeding through threads or blind PM'ing people with things you're looking after searching Collections.

• 4 months later...

Dead Format is shutting down on October 1st, 2017

I'm sad to announce that on October 1st, 2017, deadformat.com is officially shutting down. 

This decision has been weighing pretty heavily on me for quite some time - I've tried convincing myself that there was always more time in the day - and that I'd be able to continue developing new features, improve upon on existing ones, and just generally make the site better and better.

Unfortunately, that just hasn't happened - and as of right now there's no sense in trying to maintain the site in it's current state. So at the end of this month I'm ripping the band-aid off. 

Thanks SO much to everyone for all of the support during these last 10 years, especially those of you that have stuck around since the early days and really helped build the community. So many fantastic memories from the message board that I'll never forget...

I understand that a lot of you may want to save your collection to have it hosted elsewhere - you can retrieve a plain-text copy of that here:

If you have any questions, comments, etc please feel free to email me - [email protected].

Nick

Well that sucks

Edited by slinch

3 hours ago, jaypeap said:

just migrate to discogs.com if you haven't already.

it's 2017 ya'll. if your release isn't there try this: https://www.google.com/search?&q=add+submission+to+discogs

I love discogs but I don't think I'll ever list my records there.  Way too clunky for my taste.  I hate browsing their lists as well.  So much so that I don't even bother looking when I see someone link their collection through them.  Google docs it is I suppose...

Edited by gutzonborglum

3 minutes ago, jaypeap said:

just migrate to discogs.com if you haven't already.

it's 2017 ya'll. if your release isn't there try this: https://www.google.com/search?&q=add+submission+to+discogs

And what if I want all my records, CDs, movies, games, prints, books, tech and other stuff all in one place, easily editable and still searchable and automated? Discogs is a great site, but deadformat had its pros as well. It's a sad day to see it go.

This sucks big time. I really love the way the list allowed me to add and edit and all that. I'm sure I can do similar stuff on google docs or something similar but there was a charm to the functionality of deadformat and the fact that it was a group that was dedicated to listing your records. Man... Its weird to think of it being gone.