Is dead format.........dead?

This is my process:  After I buy a record, I go to discogs and find the pressing. Then I copy and paste the info into DF and arrange it the way I want it to read. Sure, I have to move some stuff around but it's customized to the way I like it and it's uniform. See here:

Test Pressings

Appleseed Cast, The ‎– "Illumination Ritual" LP (Graveface GRAVE090/William Schaff hand-screenprinted/stencil cover signed by artist - #39/50)

Appleseed Cast, The ‎– "Illumination Ritual" LP (Graveface GRAVE090/William Schaff hand-screenprinted/stencil cover/unnumbered - x/72)

Blenderhead ‎– "Blue Tile Lounge" 7" (Tooth & Nail TNV 2/black)

Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Blue handmade screened jacket/orange marble vinyl - #2/5)

Brandtson - "Send Us A Signal" LP (Red handmade screened jacket/black vinyl - #15/20)

Chandeliers - "Unheard Intensities" b/w "Time Drive" 7" (N+B 003/Black - x/?)

Coltrane, John ‎– "Blue Train" LP (Blue Note BN LP-1577/Classic Records/mono/2003 remastered version/200 gram - x/20)

No pictures available.Copeland - "In Motion" LP (Approved test - #10/10)

Craig's Brother - "Lost At Sea" LP (Tooth & Nail/Veritas Vinyl/Vinyl Remains - x/10)

Earl Long ‎– "Term Two" LP (ShanGorilla Records SG-10004 - x/5)

Lenz, Frank - "Brothers Who Are Breathing" b/w "Sexy Sixth" 7" (Black - #2/8)

Pink Frost - "The Sun" b/w "You Should Know" 7" (N+B 004/Black - #14/14)

Starflyer 59 - "Silver" LP (Tooth & Nail/Crossroads of America - x/10)

Starflyer 59 - "The Changing of the Guard" LP (w/ Bonus 7" test pressing/white vinyl - x/30)

Strongarm - "The Advent of a Miracle" LP (Second pressing/Blank Page Empire - #25/30)

Thou/The City Is The Tower [split] - "Dwell In The Darkness of Thought and Drink The Poison of Life" LP (Init INIT 65/black - x/5)

Twothirtyeight (238) - "You Should Be Living" LP (Black - #16/30)

Zao - "Liberate Te Ex Inferis" LP (Screened cover - #12/15)

Zao - "Self-Titled" LP (Screened cover/black vinyl - #7/10)

Show off - kidding - kinda haha

Radio2.jpg

For different functions as others have mentioned above.

I also keep a spreadsheet and text document of purchases on my pc and backed up to google drive and external  hard drive. The financials I don't put on DF or discogs. The discogs wantlist notification is great, like fleaBay search; the DF marketplace - will it ever come about?  The search engine here and DF are horrible (the Google trick helps though)

last few times i tried to update pressing info, shit wouldn't work, so i stopped trying... kind of annoying. site is definitely neglected.

I would certainly keep my DF list up-to-date if they had a way to easily browse what other users have for sale/trade.

the search function is so bad. like, so incredibly bad. can't find a damn thing using it. still love the collection function though. that and excel help me keep track of shit.

the search function is so bad. like, so incredibly bad. can't find a damn thing using it. still love the collection function though. that and excel help me keep track of shit.

Maybe this isn't common knowledge but on DF put what you're looking for in quotes and it works perfectly. 

i swear i tried this before... now i just feel like a doof

Don't feel like a doof, just letting you know so hopefully it makes things a bit easier. Obviously like someone mentioned it doesn't really help with looking for things people have for sale/trade, but it's good for trying to find pressing info or to see who has what.

Maybe this isn't common knowledge but on DF put what you're looking for in quotes and it works perfectly. 

may be the most helpful technical post I've read here. Would have saved sifting through alot of junk search finds when I was actively hunting down some records 3 years ago. If the title had a rare word, that was the only saving grace.

True. But it comes down to being able to search for something that is marked as "for sale/trade." I don't care if someone has an album if it isn't up for grabs.

This feature is pretty new and sometimes folks will be up for sales/trades even if not marked -  you never know unless you ask (there is a thread about that too, maybe over on DF, about PMs. It doesn't bother me re: emails, it's quick and easy to say 'sorry, not for sale,' but sometimes it's win:win.)

• 1 year later...

Went there the other day for the first time in a bit and no boards to be seen, as previously mentioned here. It's been waning for some time, but honestly sad to see the boards there gone. I'm still updating my collection info, but really should considering backing it up elsewhere.

Nick does (amazing) woodworking now, so his focus is elsewhere. Wish he'd let someone else take it over, who can knock it out of the park.

Edited by danyc