Thoughts on tube monoblocks...

I've been thinking about adding some tube monoblocks to my system. I've been eyeing Antique Sound Lab's Wave AV-25DTs, http://www.divertech.com/aslwaveav20dt.htm . They've received killer reviews, are an awesome price, and you don't find a lot for resale. But I'm always into other options.

Here's what I'd like...

1) Spend less than $1,500 on a set.

2) No volume knob.

3) At least 15watts.

Slinch, bearchuck, Kannibal, anyone else with some knowledge, you dudes got any ideas?

I'm not gonna be much help, because apart from big names like Audio Research, McIntosh, Copland etc. all of the killer tube equipment I've had the opportunity to hear is basically just small local (EU) businesses, and their products are either unavailable or outrageously expensive in the states. I've never heard of the ones you mentioned, but some of my favorites that should have great international support are Unison Research, Jolida, Opera/Consonance, and Melody. All of these should have models (second hand) in your price range, though not necessarily monoblocks.

What speakers do you have? Because almost everything will work great with a tube preamp and a SS power amp, whereas getting the best out of a tube power amp (especially with single-ended designs) calls for some serious speaker matching.

My best friend has the Triad Silvers and he's looking to get rid of em at a very good price for me. Custom stands too!

I can't even find an online store that sells a lot of these small company tube amps. None for Melody. If you know of some (International is fine, some might have a US distributor), send em my way!

No idea, they're really hard to find. Melody Valve Hifi (official site) is down, and as far as I know the M880 is out of production. You can check their current lineup on the official US distributor site, but they don't list prices: http://angelcityaudio.com/products/melody-valve-hifi/ Though I think the cheapest mono pair is around $5k.

I always saw these as the products you hunt for. When (if) they pop up on the used market, and if you happen to have cash to spare, you grab a pair and never look back. I've been waiting for a particular turntable this way for over a year now, it popped up a few times, but there was always something (bad condition, bad price, bad timing...). So I'm still waiting patiently :)

I have no experience with tube power amps or mono blocks. I considered getting a second GFA-555 (which i am running now) and going mono but I think it would be overkill. Not saying I wouldn't love to investigate and try tubes or mono blocks, but after spending a lot on my system last year, I think I'm set for a while.

I think my system is already well beyond my enviorment, anyway, and until I buy a house and can upgrade my listening space, I don't think I will get much improvement for upward changes. At this point my wants are: a better RCM, Better turntable and cartrige set-up and maintenence tools, and then some room treatments.

Thanks guys. Im happy and fortunate to have gotten some great prices, both new and used, on this stuff. Just 3 years ago i had a Technics SL-Q3 with stock cart, Technics AVR, and Huge ugly, JBL floorstanding speakers. Sometimes I seem stuck up with my comments, but I think It's because the setup I had would cost someone less than a ATLP60 and sound a heck of a lot better, so I just have a hard time with anyone spending their money on junk like that.

Getting back to mono blocks, what would be the purpose besides getting more power? Form/coolness factor is definitely an OK answer here, BTW.

Oh the table is the weakest link. I consider my whole system to be entry level audiophile.

I believe that if you're going to upgrade, you should pay double of what you're upgrading. My table and cart were about $700. So I'd need to drop at least $1400. But the table is also the newest piece. So I will eventually upgrade the table, by it'll be down the road.