PO: DJ Shadow - Total Breakdown: Hidden Transmissions from the MPC Era 1992-1996

We at DJShadow.com are very excited to announce that "Total Breakdown: Hidden Transmissions from the MPC Era, 1992-1996" is now available to pre-order, exclusively at DJShadow.com. The release highlights Shadow's earliest productions on the Akai MPC and contains previously unreleased material spanning from 1992 to 1996. Included among the highlights are instrumental tracks from an aborted 1994 EP planned with The Gift Of Gab, which includes the original demo of what would eventually become "Six Days."

The collection of "MPC Era" tracks follows on from the much-loved "4-Track Era" releases from 2008 and 2009, and establishes a pattern which should be familiar to Shadow fans. "I like to follow up new material (such as the recent 'The Less You Know, The Better' LP) with a tastefully-done archival project," Shadow explains. "As long as the old stuff is given a context and doesn't overshadow the new, I think it's a healthy exercise for me, and one that re-calibrates me for whatever new musical path lies ahead. I think it's important to revisit where you've been occasionally so that you can determine where to go."

"Total Breakdown: Hidden Transmissions From The MPC Era, 1992-1996" is available for pre-order on CD, double-vinyl, and digital download, with exclusive MPC Era Tees and a Poster (designed by LRG Clothing Company).

http://djshadow.com/

Oh really?

How much?

I'd also like to try and get the Cage/Rumsfeld cut picture disc (I got the Cheney Radiohead remix) and wouldn't mind replacing my kind of worn out copy of Camel Bobsled Race.

I was able to pick up a few handmade LPs for $20 a pop at one shop. The one I live really close to sells them for $35 which is absurd (they still have The Outsider instrumentals). The shop I work at never got any.

I have the Rumsfeld but am missing the Cheney. I got the Rumsfeld for free with an order years back. I have Camel Bobsled on CD but never got around to picking up the record. I usually see them on Discogs for pretty fair prices.

So, I really like Preemptive strike and Endtroducing, should I snag this as well? I'm not a big fan of his last few albums.

This is from that era so it would be right up your alley. The only Shadow letdown for me was 'The Outsider' but I still liked a few tracks on it.

You can sample some of the MPC Era on his site.

So, I really like Preemptive strike and Endtroducing, should I snag this as well? I'm not a big fan of his last few albums.

Yeah some of The Outsider was great (This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way) is one of my fave songs of his ever) but I hear ya.

The Less You Know is pretty good, though.

If you think about it, it is damned impossible to ever touch Endtroducing and not just because of it's greatness, but also because of why it's great.

The man worked on his craft for over a decade so it was all leading up to that...

But this and the other old works compilation (The Four Track Era) are great because you get to hear all of his formative works, which ironically, helped me appreciate The Outsider all that more... you see how much he went back to his roots of emcee based hip-hop... unfortunately The Outsider focused primarily on hyphy bay area emcees...

I will back Shadow til the day I die... do not pass up the opportunity to see him live under any circumstances.

Yeah some of The Outsider was great (This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way) is one of my fave songs of his ever) but I hear ya.

The Less You Know is pretty good, though.

If you think about it, it is damned impossible to ever touch Endtroducing and not just because of it's greatness, but also because of why it's great.

The man worked on his craft for over a decade so it was all leading up to that...

But this and the other old works compilation (The Four Track Era) are great because you get to hear all of his formative works, which ironically, helped me appreciate The Outsider all that more... you see how much he went back to his roots of emcee based hip-hop... unfortunately The Outsider focused primarily on hyphy bay area emcees...

I will back Shadow til the day I die... do not pass up the opportunity to see him live under any circumstances.

I agree 100% with everything you said. The "hyphy" bs on The Outsider is the only stuff I can do without.

I take it that you're in to Unkle as well?

I recommend snagging one from UGHH.com now.

The 4 track era is sold out now and was pretty reasonably priced there too.

UGHH has a lot of other genres too and has sale LPs too for cheap... just a thought.

I can't speak highly enough of my experiences through that site and they throw in stickers sometimes and you get to pick free items depending on your purchase total.

• 11 months later...

Damn, I didn't even notice they still use that shitty Top Spin service with the terrible shipping prices. 

Ha, that makes this sale completely useless. Sorry for the bump.

Is Top Spin really bad when shipping vinyl?  At $46 for UNKLE and Entroducing shipped I can't find it elsewhere for much less.  If I know they'll arrive in good condition I may just bite.

Endtroducing is an absolute must have in my opinion. It's pretty easy to find elsewhere.

Also, nice to see someone mention Unkle around here.

I appreciate the bump as well and this reminds me to buy some UNKLE soon!

I see Endtroducing everywhere but never feel like paying more than $20 for it. Kind of dumb, I know. I have far more expensive records. I just need to buy it.

Is Top Spin really bad when shipping vinyl?  At $46 for UNKLE and Entroducing shipped I can't find it elsewhere for much less.  If I know they'll arrive in good condition I may just bite.

Bad shipping prices, not bad at shipping items (I don't think Top Spin actually ships the items, I believe they are a payment host but I might be wrong). I see Shadow/Unkle stuff used semi regularly in my town. I know a lot of stuff is commonly on Discogs.