Does anybody on here have a job in the music industry? (anything really, whether working with a label, at a pressing plant, whatever) If so, how did you get into it? For those of you that work with smaller labels (Thomas, Flood), how did you get started? Just give me all the information you can. I want to either get a job doing something involved with music someday, or start a label, or something. Just FYI I have a BS in Business Management and minor in music and I'm hoping my degree will help me out somehow. But seriously, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I work for Bottletree over here in Birmingham man. I just started as an intern in January and it panned out in my favor....though it's not with a label....I would say being an above average intern at a place you'd like to work would do you well

....Don't be so modest, let him know that you rap on the side too

shaq-rapping1.jpg

....Don't be so modest, let him know that you rap on the side too

shaq-rapping1.jpg

yes, This, exactly this!!!!

naw, I started out as a sound intern over at Bottletree, but they'd always ask if I could help out doing Load-In and Load-Out for bands, then back-stage security for some of the larger shows, work the door for the smaller shows. currently I run food during the lunch shifts and just do the other stuff whenever they need it. but Brian's already approached me about running sound starting sometime this fall (our head sound engineer does sound for Bazan, and that whole Control tour is coming up so he'll be gone for that for quite some time). I have to say I feel pretty lame starting a job in this field at 29....as it's all I've wanted to do since I was like 17 or 18, but I guess better late than never?

addtionally, for me personally, it's really rewarding working for a place and with a group of people that are constantly praised as favorites among the indie-rock stuff. this article popped up a few days ago http://www.gourmet.com/food/gourmetlive/2012/062712/10-emerging-food-music-cities?currentPage=1 and Torche recently named us their favorite venue in the country via Pitchfork, it's just rad working at a place that does it right and does it right for the right reasons.

i decided i was going to start a label, and throw shows to fund it. I eventually went to college and double majored in management and marketing... but that was after the fact.

I'm considering going back to school for accounting, but I don't know. I really just wanna do something I love next instead of just having an office job or going back to school.

I know people whove started off in the mailroom and have moved up to some decently good positions in AR/PR and marketing, even design work. look for jobs as assistants at labels or agencies or management groups, get a basic understanding of the industry from that perspective first, and try to move up from there. I have a couple friends who started off as agent assistants who are now agents themselves with some pretty big bands they represent.

I have the same degrees as you, major in Business marketing/mgmt and a minor in music (education was my initial major, but dropped it) and i am now getting my masters in labor relations, and i'll tell you (and everyone) this, any unpaid internship is 99% of the time illegal unless you're still a student and getting college credits for it. but sadly, unpaid internships are really common still, and are a really good way to get into a tight industry like music biz. I had another friend who worked in NYC for a major label, got the job through an unpaid internship after college, worked at some bar in greenfieldtreeburg in brooklyn in the evenings until the internship turned into a real job. not sure thats something you'd be interested in doing, but its sadly part of the beast.

I'm an Audio Engineer and I work at this studio Mastering & Mixing audio for film.

http://westwestsidemusic.com/3credits.htm

Everyone is right in the fact that it's all about who you know and how you network, but the best advice you'll get is probably to not get discouraged. Just because some old dude who has been in the business for 40 yrs is making you feel like you don't know anything it doesn't mean you're useless. Chances are that guy doesn't know how to use a file transfer site or plug in an ipod correctly and that might just give you a good reason to be there, or at least a more updated view of the professional landscape.

Most of all, (and this might seem obvious) WORK REALLY HARD. People notice when you put %100 into something, even if that's walking into a record label and starting a conversation with someone. At least your out there, IN PERSON, trying to get your hustle on. Good luck man.