MAN ADVICE

So somebody asked about online dating sites, so I have a first hand story regarding one. So I was at a bar on Saturday night and spotted a knockout blonde, went back to my table and stated "there is a gorgeous blonde across the patio". My friends responded by saying "go talk to her", which I said "nah, she's with people, and she has to have a boyfriend". So after months of not checking my PlentyOfFish, I ended up getting on the next night, only to find this amazingly beautiful blonde chick with a profile on there. So I hit her up with a dumb message, saying "hey, I'm sure there are way better questions to ask a pretty girl, but what's the name of your cat?" Long story short, she loved it, we messaged throughout Sunday night, I get her number this morning and asked her to coffee tonight. We went to coffee, coffee turned into drinks, turned into me asking her to dinner on Saturday, turns into her going and seeing Ben Nichols Thursday night, turns into her texting me about a minute ago about how great she thought our night went.

Basically, at this point, I fully endorse dating websites. Seriously, girl is smoking hot.

Dating websites are a great way to meet people. I'm a big guy myself and had little luck at first. But once I learned how to write up a good profile that makes me sound witty and confident and plays up my mind as opposed to my looks and reclusive habits, things really started to change. Girls started messaging ME! Upload pictures of you out having fun instead of in front of the bathroom mirror.

I've probably met about 15 girls through dating websites this summer... most of them have been meh but I met a few great ones. My latest girl is turning out to be pretty great, we've been texting almost nonstop since late August and have hung out at her place a few times, I've been helping her with reno stuff. Got a little fingerbang action last night after we laid some flooring. The one before that turned out to be a squirting fuck buddy. But she was a butterface, and I love making out, so I moved on. New girl is fucking cuuuuute!!! And sweet. And smart. And handy. And funny. And tasteful. I'm smitten!

The key is persistence and confidence! My response rate from girls is probably close to 1 in 10 or something, but I just keep messaging girls and eventually someone bites. And once you start meeting ladies and learning your own strong points, your confidence will gradually grow, and it seems that women can almost smell confidence... like a sixth sense. I feel like I'm in my game now. I've been getting out to bars and clubs again and dancing my face off and with my new found confidence girls keep approaching me, where that never happened even a year ago.

Have you ever tried repeating mantras or using reminder notes to send yourself subliminal messages? Repeat to yourself "I am ridiculously good looking and ladies can't get enough of me" as often as you can remember and it will help build confidence. Advertising works because of the frequency of the messages they display moreso than the content. McDonald's doesn't make you want a Big Mac by making it look delicious, they make you want it by showing you ads so often that you can't think of anything BUT a Big Mac the next time you are hungry. (As an example....)

Someone needs a boost in self confidence.

it's not a matter of confidence. i've had people rewrite my profiles, i've even made a fake profile exactly like mine with a friends picture (he knew what i was doing) to prove a point and it proved exactly what i envisioned. that it doesnt matter what a profile says. they simply base everything first and foremost on physicality and go from there. which is why the dating sites don't work for me. i'm fine with it, I'm sure eventually i'll meet someone, but not on a dating site.

i only make fun of my physical appearances for humor sake only. i know i dont share the same physical appearances of rocky dennis, but i know i'm not a george clooney (though the gray hair is coming in nicely) either. besides i have way too many idiosyncratic behaviors which make me incapable of being in a relationship with most.

it's not a matter of confidence. i've had people rewrite my profiles, i've even made a fake profile exactly like mine with a friends picture (he knew what i was doing) to prove a point and it proved exactly what i envisioned. that it doesnt matter what a profile says. they simply base everything first and foremost on physicality and go from there. which is why the dating sites don't work for me. i'm fine with it, I'm sure eventually i'll meet someone, but not on a dating site.

i only make fun of my physical appearances for humor sake only. i know i dont share the same physical appearances of rocky dennis, but i know i'm not a george clooney (though the gray hair is coming in nicely) either. besides i have way too many idiosyncratic behaviors which make me incapable of being in a relationship with most.

Glad to hear that it's just a self deprecating sense of humor and not an indicator of a lack of self confidence. I actually share your sense of humor regarding personal appearance.

Sucks to hear your not having any luck on the dating site. What site/sites have you used? I recently signed up for eharmony.com and like you haven't had much luck. To be fair I've done nothing proactive with it and only a week or two completed my profile. I need to be more proactive with it, but honestly it just seems so weird to me. I just can't get past how fake everything seems on the dating site. I'm not the kind of person who does well trying to frame my personality in a less than bluntly honest fashion, and because of that I fear dating sites aren't the appropriate medium for me. Although with descriptions like, "rigidly rational", "logically objectively egomaniac" and narcasistic dreamer with delusions of grandeur", I dont know why the ladies aren't lining up around the block to get a piece of what I've got. :P

Hopefully you'll have more luck with your dating exploits in the future. I wish I could provide you with some profound and deep advice on how to woo the lady people, but I like you, am a bit of a crazy person.

Glad to hear that it's just a self deprecating sense of humor and not an indicator of a lack of self confidence. I actually share your sense of humor regarding personal appearance.

Sucks to hear your not having any luck on the dating site. What site/sites have you used? I recently signed up for eharmony.com and like you haven't had much luck. To be fair I've done nothing proactive with it and only a week or two completed my profile. I need to be more proactive with it, but honestly it just seems so weird to me. I just can't get past how fake everything seems on the dating site. I'm not the kind of person who does well trying to frame my personality in a less than bluntly honest fashion, and because of that I fear dating sites aren't the appropriate medium for me. Although with descriptions like, "rigidly rational", "logically objectively egomaniac" and narcasistic dreamer with delusions of grandeur", I dont know why the ladies aren't lining up around the block to get a piece of what I've got. :P

Hopefully you'll have more luck with your dating exploits in the future. I wish I could provide you with some profound and deep advice on how to woo the lady people, but I like you, am a bit of a crazy person.

i signed up for a few. i even thought of going to one of those christian sites, but fuck, eharmony was enough (i got off every site after about a year and half). you can only take so much "yeah, you're not my type". or don't bother because of the fact that i'm not religious. oof. once i even got a "i don't date guys with tattoos, as they are against god". of course i emailed her back "..against who? never heard of him. does he work with you?" i was really hoping for a response, but alas no cigar. i don't share much in common with most people anyway. (shrugs shoulders)

anyone else on dating sites ever have the anxiety of people you know seeing your profile? i mean, theyre all pretty location-specific, so it only seems likely to me that people who know me might see my page. hell, ive seen people i know... and for the most part theyre people whose presence on a dating site dont surprise me. interpret that as you may.

but anyway, for some reason that freaks me out, as if its any different than the hundreds of people who have access to my facebook page which is more or less the same portrayal.

anyone else on dating sites ever have the anxiety of people you know seeing your profile? i mean, theyre all pretty location-specific, so it only seems likely to me that people who know me might see my page. hell, ive seen people i know... and for the most part theyre people whose presence on a dating site dont surprise me. interpret that as you may.

but anyway, for some reason that freaks me out, as if its any different than the hundreds of people who have access to my facebook page which is more or less the same portrayal.

i always saw people i knew on dating sites and i'd PM them. maybe to just grab a drink. nothing more, and they'd still refuse. maybe they think i'm trying to hit on them since i know they're looking. which isn't the case.

anyone else on dating sites ever have the anxiety of people you know seeing your profile

I have anxiety over whether answering the phone when it's a number that I don't immediately know, so of course I have anxiety over it. Yeah it does suck thinking that people you know might run across your profile but I am good at ignoring problems. As a humorous, yet related tangent, a few years back people found a coworkers profile on a Swingers website. Oh the hilarity.

i signed up for a few. i even thought of going to one of those christian sites, but fuck, eharmony was enough (i got off every site after about a year and half). you can only take so much "yeah, you're not my type". or don't bother because of the fact that i'm not religious. oof. once i even got a "i don't date guys with tattoos, as they are against god". of course i emailed her back "..against who? never heard of him. does he work with you?" i was really hoping for a response, but alas no cigar. i don't share much in common with most people anyway. (shrugs shoulders)

Looks like your experience has been similar to mine on eHarmony and just further backs up my thoughts about dropping that and it's crazy prices and trying something else. With eHarmony till now I've just pretty much checked out the daily matches and done a little bit of looking around and almost every person has a profile that is half about them and half about there love of Jesus. Seeing as my profile has multiple references to the fact that I am proud and devout atheist I've yet to see anyone on there that I thought was super cute and seemed to be someone I would get along with.

Come on world I'm not asking for much I just want to find a super cute girl, who loves Sci-Fi movies, is into punk rock music, is vegan or vegetarian, can name 1 or more fact/s about Noam Chomsky, hates religion, loves baseball, plays video games and wants to play with my penis.

Is that to much to ask for world? If anyone knows what dating site those girls hang out at let me know. :P

I’ve talked a lot about this with my girlfriends and I think the general question among them is ‘why can’t these guys meet women in real life’. There is still a pretty crazy stigma attached to online dating. It’s kind of sad. Most of them say they’d only try online dating as a last resort if they end up 30 and still single.

I do have one friend who uses online dating all the time. She’s gone on 20+ dates. Most of them never went anywhere. To say she has a hard time meeting men is an understatement. She is a 6’1 shot putter at one of the big 10 universities here in Michigan. Anyway, she did get serious with one of the men she met up with. they ended up seeing each other for about 8 months. He turned out to be super religious. After they slept together he said things like “God doesn’t approve of what we did” and “I need to pray about this”. My nickname for him was bible face Eventually he told her he thought he was a sex addict but would keep saying the ‘i need to pray about this’ shit each time they slept together. THEN he refused to sleep with her once she got on birth control. . Anyway my point is after the whole bible face incident, she started thinking that most of the men using these dating sites had some kind of hang up, either they had a kid, were shy, newly divorced, or just plain fucked up in the head.

I love the Tick, the comic and I loved the show and cartoon. Anyway I have had dates from a few sites and every girl I met was somewhat mentally imbalanced. The positive part was that if sex didn't happen on the first date it happened on the second. The negative part was than they became crazy. It was like I am not going to show how crazy I am till we have sex and than I am going to unlock pandora's box.

My co-worker told me about this one howaboutwe.com. You fill out a small profile with some interesting questions and then post actual date ideas and people can let you know whether they are interested in doing that date. You can get pretty creative and it offers some nice ice breaking opportunities. I actually just had a date with this really cool girl last night. After the date we exchange phone numbers and she said that she wanted to hang out with me again.

I'm also taking Madie's advice about not blowing up her phone. Though I am stressing as to when to tell her why I'm single after all. Also anxious about why she is single.

holy shit! 30 and still single? that means I must join online dating now!!

i am 30, single and loving it (i sound like a 30 year old that can't get a date - those people often say that). i think being 30 and single is amazing, especially in a big city like Chicago. while it's nice to have a significant other, being single right now and through the course of the last few years has been amazing. fully established with the career, small mortgage payment, no car payment, and a list of all other non-monetary issues (travel, hang with who i want when i want etc) has increased my happiness level ten fold.

there is a split between men and women having hangups, for whatever reason it may be. men and women all have their flaws, if one would consider a previous marriage a flaw. i once went on a date with a 29 year old... I was 28 at the time. she was a widow at the age of 24. just imagine how fucked that has to feel.

if one goes on 20+ dates and nothing much ever works out, sounds like she has hangups.

holy shit! 30 and still single? that means I must join online dating now!!

i am 30, single and loving it (i sound like a 30 year old that can't get a date - those people often say that). i think being 30 and single is amazing, especially in a big city like Chicago. while it's nice to have a significant other, being single right now and through the course of the last few years has been amazing. fully established with the career, small mortgage payment, no car payment, and a list of all other non-monetary issues (travel, hang with who i want when i want etc) has increased my happiness level ten fold.

there is a split between men and women having hangups, for whatever reason it may be. men and women all have their flaws, if one would consider a previous marriage a flaw. i once went on a date with a 29 year old... I was 28 at the time. she was a widow at the age of 24. just imagine how fucked that has to feel.

if one goes on 20+ dates and nothing much ever works out, sounds like she has hangups.

Don't get me wrong I'm not going nuts about getting into a serious or really any relationship right now. The issue is that I am recently divorced after about 1 and a half years of being married and with the woman girl for a total of like 6 years. I'm really just trying to figure out how to get back out there after a long lapse of being out of the dating game. So far online dating has helped boost some self esteem and such for me. I've been on a few dates and some good some bad. It doesn't matter to me honestly.