Cartridge adjustment for thicker slipmat

You'll definitely want to make sure that your VTA (vertical tracking angle) is correct. As to how much the mat change has altered it, who knows, but you should be able to find information / instructions on how to adjust your VTA on the web or in the manual that came with the Debut. When you look at your tonearm / headshell with the new mat installed, is it perfectly level with the platter? If so, you're cool.

edit: I just did a quick google search and there's no real VTA adjustment on the tonearm for the Debut ... other than to place a shim under the cartridge or change the thickness of your mat. However, if your new cork mat is too thick and your headshell / tonearm is "tail down," you're going to have issues remedying the situation. With some tonearms you can place spacers under the screws on the base, but according to others on message boards, you can't do that with the Debut.

Anyway, you should definitely check the VTA with the new mat and report back to us. If it's off, maybe someone can come up with a solution. There's a chance that you may have to switch back to a thinner mat. Not necessarily the felt one, but something else that's a similar thickness.

I measured the thickness and the cork mat is just under 1/8" thick and the felt mat is just under 1/16". So basically it's just a 1/16" thicker. I placed the needle on a record and from what I can tell the cartridge was level. I still have the stock OM 5E cartridge on it right now.

I feel like a 1/16" is negligible since records can vary in thickness by a similar amount, but I could be wrong.

If it sounds ok and the arm looks level (or very, very close to it) then you should be ok. a 3x5 card is a great way to see how level your arm is. Carelully queue the needle onto a non spinning record and gently place the card next to the arm.

You are right, there is some wiggle room due to differences in vinyl thickness.

The Shure is a great cartridge, but it also requires the larger counterweight on the DebitIII. I seem to remember the OM5e being a lot cheaper a year ago. Around $35. But as anyone who's used one knows, It's cost is enormous in the the damage it can do to your listening experience and records.

The Shure is just that price on Amazon. There was a while there that the cartridge went for very cheap.