Shipping records to Germany?

Guest deathbydrums

In the last year I found it more common, although in a few of those instances I was suspicious if it was really lost. For a while I avoided shipping outside of North America but now I sometimes request payment sent as a gift if I'm unsure who I'm sending records to overseas or if they have few feedback ratings.

EDIT: Although 2 people have told me that sending money as a gift through paypal is not available from Germany, despite me giving instructions on how to do it, so that may not be an option.

I've had a couple packages that were shipped to Germany recently that took a couple months or more to arrive. Never used to have that problem. I had a paypal claim against me too, and with 1st Class International packages, you don't get proper tracking so it's hard to prove that the package was even shipped.

Germany doesn't track anything, I send items from the UK and pay extra for tracking, they get tracked up until they leave the UK but once they arrive in Germany, nobody knows where it's gone?!

The items usually arrive after about 3-4 weeks even when you pay the premium service that should take only 3 days... it's crazy that Deutsche post don't track the items.

I bought a record from Denovali Records, Germany, a few months back and it also took 3 or 4 weeks to arrive in the UK, the address on the front clearly said United Kingdom but when I finally got it, it was stamped 'missent to India'. Crazy?!

also after many many many conversations with the people at the customs office some guy finally told me that especially if its marked as a "gift" a package gets stuck at customs

yes, because you have to pay taxes according to the content's value either way.

another funny fact is that they always add the shipping costs to the price of the item/s to calculate the value of the content.

wow, i thought they would only sent them back, if you did not show up at their office in a timely manner.

the times before i got a letter and picked them up at the custom.

after some time, i got an email from the seller, saying he got it back.

don´t know what they did with that package...

the seller luckily shipped it again and i got it 2 weeks later.

The good news is that usually nothing ever gets lost on the way to Germany, or within Germany, except stealing neighbours maybe?

How quickly a package gets to the buyer in Germany depends strongly on the customs office and officer. Sometimes they let it pass through, other times they will keep even a single LP and make the recipient drive for several miles to their office to pick it up - even if the value is below the gift limit (25 Euros). Some customs people are really the Nazis of today (as in Soup Nazi - even though I'm sure customs offices are a popular workplace for actual Nazis).

Once they held a package but didn't send me the notification that allows me to pick it up. They also refused to let me pick it up without the little piece of paper and after two weeks they sent it back to the US. I'm sure the heartless cold customs bitch I talked to on the phone a couple of times was a Nazi. A real one, you know.

Hot Topic packages usually arrive within 4 days in Germany.

Those are fully trackable (first you have to use USPS; after the package arrives in .de you can use dhl.com with the same tracking code)

Never had any problems with sending to US or CA / nor with getting packages from there.

But you really should use package tracking...