iPhone v. Galaxy ( New phone suggestions?)

Yo, long term iPhone fan boy here (since the G2 suckazzzz.) I've been on AT&T for the pass few years and finally have a reason to switch over to Verizon ( 22% off from corporate benefits \m/.) So I was wondering if anyone here would make any suggestions for a new phone.

But basically since I'm flipping over after my contract is up in the next few months, I was considering something from the Droid genre of smartphones, basically all I use my phone for is sending dix pix and listening to music in my car or at the gym (get buff ninjaz.) I'm a pretty big guy and the iPhone feels like I'm shaking hands with a "little person" ( that's the PC term right?) So I was looking at getting a Galaxy which is basically a larger iPhone.

Does anyone have any experiences w/ the Galaxy or other Droid related phones? I see that I can switch out the memory for my 64gb MicroSD card and all that jazz, but how is the iTunes to Droid sync? Is it fairly easy to do or does it consist of ass hattery like my former Black Berry's needed?

I've had my Galaxy SIII for about 3 weeks and it's easily the best Android device I've owned (I've had a few phones and tablets). If you're coming to play at the big kid park this phone would be perfect for you. Out of the box it's super user friendly and since it's Android you're free to wreak havoc should you choose to get balls deep in customization. Know that the bootloader is currently locked and doing crazy kernel modifications are not possible at the moment but fixes and in the works (if you don't care for modding your electronics than this is something that will not make a difference to you at all).

If you wanna drive in head first and mod out your device the Galaxy Nexus is like $99 right now and can run Android 4.1 (Jellybean). Jellybean will be available for the Galaxy SIII later, but since Google basically "made" the Galaxy Nexus it can run almost anything you throw on it.

• 7 months later...

I've had my Galaxy SIII for about 3 weeks ...

If you wanna drive in head first and mod out your device the Galaxy Nexus is like $99 right now and can run Android 4.1 (Jellybean). Jellybean will be available for the Galaxy SIII later, but since Google basically "made" the Galaxy Nexus it can run almost anything you throw on it.

The Nexus is easily mod-able, that's the whole point I'm running stock 4.2.2 (from Verizon no less).

Also to note the SIII does have JellyBean available as a regular over-the-air update.  Updated my g/f's S3 some months ago.

I know this is old, but I didnt want to make a new thread.

Have had an iphone for 4 years; just went android.

Best decision ive ever made.

Couldn't agree more.  Ardent 3G/S & 4 user, went to a Galaxy Nexus.  Never looked back.

The Nexus is easily mod-able, that's the whole point I'm running stock 4.2.2 (from Verizon no less).

Also to note the SIII does have JellyBean available as a regular over-the-air update. Updated my g/f's S3 some months ago.

Couldn't agree more. Ardent 3G/S & 4 user, went to a Galaxy Nexus. Never looked back.

Yeah, a lot changes over 8 months ;)

I've had an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4S, and a 5. A few months ago I switched to a Galaxy S3, and I love it. There are definitely tradeoffs between choosing Android vs iPhone, but for me there are more things I like about the S3 than the iPhone. 

My favourite features are definitely expandable memory, and much much better battery life. I don't think I could go back to the tiny screen of an iPhone.

Unless Apple makes some drastic changes in the next little while, I will not be buying another iPhone.

unrelated.

i'm sick of how many iphone commercials are on tv. there's the ones directly from apple. and then there's the iphone commercials for the iphone on at&t. and then the commercials for the iphone on verizon. 

love my 5 though.

S4 is supposed to come out in June/July when the iPhone 5s comes out. Eligible for an upgrade in July, so I'll probably be getting the S4, unless the new iPhone blows me away. I love my iPhone 4, and all the new iPhones just don't do it for me. Could give a shit less about Siri, and didn't like the design of the iPhone 5. Most of the cool features I liked are readily available on my current phone with the new OS.

I just bought an S3. I would have loved to wait for the S4 but that would have cost a crap ton. I've been an iPhone user since the 3. I liked every one that I owned up until last October when I upgraded my 4 to the 5. I hated that phone and did not want to use it for another year and a half. So, I chalked up the loss and paid full price for the Galaxy S3. My wife likes iphones b/c of the simplicity it offers. She is taking my old phone and we're selling the 4 to her friend. 24 hours into the S3 and my only complaint is that I should have upgraded to this back in October rather than the iphone5.  I could have saved myself some decent money. Oh well, live and learn... 

I guess I'm in the minority but I love my iPhone.  I've been an iPhone user since the 3G.  All of my friends who have had Androids had issues with them and eventually went to iPhones. My boyfriend is currently experiencing problems with his Galaxy but he's being stubborn and refuses to make a move to a different phone.  Sometimes he'll wake up in the morning and the time will be off by a bunch of hours, or he won't be able to read text messages (and when he can, they come up under the wrong person's name), and most recently, his phone only charges/turns on when it wants to.  The other night we were having dinner and his phone, while plugged into the brand new charger he just bought from TMobile, was constantly turning on and off over and over again and wouldn't let him reset or do anything.

Some funky stuff going on there.

I'm kind of the opposite right now I've only been Android since going into the smartphone realm.  First the HTC Incredible which had its issues but overall was a decent phone.  Currently have a Droid Bionic which is a giant piece of crap and I know if I stick with Android I won't be touching Motorola again they've lost my trust.  My wife has a Nexus Galaxy which she is in love with.  I'm not sure if I'm sold on Android anymore and I've been tempted to try out an iPhone for the next contract, but seeing more focus on 1 specific phone from companies has me kind of excited.  Ie:  Samsung Galaxy series or HTC ONE where they're not focused on getting as many phones out as possible and just working on getting quality phones out is definitely a better place than where Android was a year or 2 ago.