Urban Outfitters Exclusive Vinyl & Sale Discussion

My apologies, for a second there I almost thought this was the internet and you didn't necessarily have to read my post. As far as being soooo rock n' roll; my stance against UO has nothing to do with being too cool for school. It's more the fact that UO has been known for stealing artwork and designs from independent artists, as well as pulling any product that remotely promotes same sex affiliation.

worked there for 3 years, and I don't think they ever pulled "any product that remotely promotes same sex affiliation". A good amount of the guys that work there are gay. As for the artwork, it probably happened. But they also have a lot of submissions from artists that nobody would ever see their artwork regardless. They also had contests for the associates to submit art to be produced and sold in the store. My buddy won once and it was awesome. I don't shop there anymore, but mostly because of my lack of discount and how expensive that shit is.

My apologies, for a second there I almost thought this was the internet and you didn't necessarily have to read my post. As far as being soooo rock n' roll; my stance against UO has nothing to do with being too cool for school. It's more the fact that UO has been known for stealing artwork and designs from independent artists, as well as pulling any product that remotely promotes same sex affiliation.

That's great and all. You realize that just like choosing not to buy their products, you can also choose not to comment/reply with stuff that doesn't quite relate to the topic.

I realize they pulled a same-sex marriage shirt like, 4 or 5 years ago now, but as a legit homosexual, I really don't care about that. I'm supporting physical music, vinyl sales, the music industry, and the musicians involved with the records I buy, and by waiting for the records to go on clearance, thats my way of telling UO that their prices suck, and their politics is garbage. And I'm kinda ok with all that. I protest against far worthier things. Just sayin.

That's great and all. You realize that just like choosing not to buy their products, you can also choose not to comment/reply with stuff that doesn't quite relate to the topic.

I realize they pulled a same-sex marriage shirt like, 4 or 5 years ago now, but as a legit homosexual, I really don't care about that. I'm supporting physical music, vinyl sales, the music industry, and the musicians involved with the records I buy, and by waiting for the records to go on clearance, thats my way of telling UO that their prices suck, and their politics is garbage. And I'm kinda ok with all that. I protest against far worthier things. Just sayin.

"legit homosexual" cracked me up

love,

a lesbian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One fact, and two questions:

The green Best Coast was available from Mexican Summer first, and then UO, I remember well. I was going to snag it three summers ago before going to see them at nxne. I figured I'd just grab it at the show, but they didn't have any and it was sold out at MS when I came home. Ended up grabbing it from UO.

So both the Sub Pop and UO color pressing of Grimes are lavender? Any difference between the two?

Is the UO press the only color version of Hot Chip?

There's an awesome looking exclusive color for Cat Power's new album, Sun:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=26015115

They were also advertising Thurston Moore's Demolished Thoughts on clear vinyl as an Urban Outfitters exclusive, though it was also available direct from Matador.

So both the Sub Pop and UO color pressing of Grimes are lavender? Any difference between the two?

Is the UO press the only color version of Hot Chip?

Grimes is on 4AD, not Sub Pop. I believe UO's lavender vinyl was the only version of this album on color vinyl.

I believe the UO Hot Chip LP is the only color version.

I went into a UO for the first time in a long time over the weekend, and they had a pretty decent-sized selection of titles from the past 6-9 months. Nothing was visibly marked down, though; do they keep clearance records mixed in with the regular ones, or what?

It seems to vary by location and employees in charge. Some locations move clearance vinyl to the area with other clearance items. Some mark them down and leave them with the rest of the vinyl. Some don't mark vinyl down at all - these are the best because if you know what's on clearance, it's going to get marked down at the register and the high profile items are less likely to be sold out.

ive never seen a clearence record at my OU. PIcked up that cat power today. Probably my favorite of the UO exclusives. Looks awesome

I actually picked up an Urban Outfitters exclusive Seafoam Green copy of Paralytic Stalks by of Montreal (I think it's /330) for $9 on clearance. Probably the best purchase I've ever made. It's the second rarest oM pressing ever.

I feel awkward going to the my local UO. There's a guy who converted an old trailer into an outdoor record kiosk and it's right outside the vinyl section at UO. I feel like I get the weirdest looks from him whenever I go through the wooden crates at UO. He usually has nothing I want anyway, so why bother?

Urban Outfitters, The Lab, Costa Mesa, CA

• 4 weeks later...

I feel awkward going to the my local UO. There's a guy who converted an old trailer into an outdoor record kiosk and it's right outside the vinyl section at UO. I feel like I get the weirdest looks from him whenever I go through the wooden crates at UO. He usually has nothing I want anyway, so why bother?

Urban Outfitters, The Lab, Costa Mesa, CA

Yeah. They don't have a very good selection and it seems a bit overpriced. I also hate when someone goes in the trailer while you're looking. It's too crowded.