Urban Outfitters Exclusive Vinyl & Sale Discussion

2 minutes ago, swb said:

As someone who has been both dead broke and well off, I have nothing but empathy for people who are broke and no judgment on how they spend their money. That life can suck really bad and you deal with some predatory BS that zaps up whatever excess energy or cash you have, so I'm in no place to tell someone how to get through it.

In my own experience, I've found it one million times easier to save money and spend smart when you have excess money coming in. When I was in my 20s and broke, I spent hundreds of dollars a year on overdraft fees (and balance minimum fees!) that I incurred from spending money on food, records, entertainment, gas, school, basically everything. It'd set me back for months and cause more late payments and more late fees. Since I've been well off, I've paid zero dollars on overdraft fees and I've been able to both save and spend smart. Why? Am I suddenly a responsible moral adult? No. It's just that now, when I make a stupid occasional mistake, there are almost zero consequences. I can accidentally spend too much on something and nothing happens. I can forget to pay something and I can easily afford the late fees. 

It is so so easy to  offer advice like "spend less!", so I get when people say that trying to be helpful, but I have to remember to reject that impulse and instead put myself back in that headspace of being broke and offer empathy rather than admonishment. It really is a racket being broke and if people want to buy records or do things that make life suck a little less, even if it costs them more money, I say go for it. :)

I too was broke when I was younger, and am comfortable now, but while I have empathy for those who are still having trouble making ends meet often it comes down to choices. Even when I was broke I think I overdrew my account one time, and that's because my car needed repair and my rent was due. Records are a luxury item, and if someone really is in it just for the music there are less expensive ways to listen to music than vinyl.

Our empathy for that person doesn't excuse the fact that they made a poor decision.

11 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

I too was broke when I was younger, and am comfortable now, but while I have empathy for those who are still having trouble making ends meet often it comes down to choices. Even when I was broke I think I overdrew my account one time, and that's because my car needed repair and my rent was due. Records are a luxury item, and if someone really is in it just for the music there are less expensive ways to listen to music than vinyl.

Our empathy for that person doesn't excuse the fact that they made a poor decision.

Totally get you here but IMO, for some, the equation can be a little more complex than "make smart financial choice = higher quality of life" or, at least, have other elements that make me less interested in highlighting each poor decision.

If someone makes the personal decision that their #1 goal or focus is to achieve a certain level of financial security, above all else, then I definitely think their perspective of eliminating all decisions that lead them away from that goal is right for them. If that isn't someone's main goal, above all else, then I don't know if I can tell them "You should have done X financial decision instead of Y financial decision". I can see how being broke and overdrawn and having some more records is a better life than being less broke and less overdrawn with less records. Not accounting for extremes or outliers, I tend to peace out of moralizing someone's situation and offer my best human-to-human vibes.

But, as I said, 100% get you and I do agree with you in many circumstances. To look at it selfishly, in case anyone is thinking I'm pandering or trying to appear selfless or something, part of why I don't indulge the instinct to wade into someone else's financial choices is because I'd simply be wrong. Whatever assessment I made for them, by virtue of me not being them and knowing all the particulars of their life, would most likely be inaccurate. So, "you do you" is also a selfish way to not be wrong. :P

Edited by swb

10 hours ago, dethrock said:

I'm not trying to tell you what to do but if you have so little in your account that buying a record makes you go into over draft, maybe it's time to rethink some of your spending habits.

A Canadian being a prick to someone they don't know, no way?!?

Let's not make this into how a 33 year old who has been collecting records for 20 years and has a great job and makes great money needs to reevaluate how he spends his money. Buying records months ago + being on tour for the last two weeks + paying for rent + UO sending out records before they said they would + a $98 order = what happened. Had I known they were going to send the records, I would have made the appropriate arrangements for that not to happen. Shit happens, doesn't I can't be upset about it. Sometimes I fucking hate the morons on this board. 

9 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

Let's not make this into how a 33 year old who has been collecting records for 20 years and has a great job and makes great money needs to reevaluate how he spends his money. Buying records months ago + being on tour for the last two weeks + paying for rent + UO sending out records before they said they would + a $98 order = what happened. Had I known they were going to send the records, I would have made the appropriate arrangements for that not to happen. Shit happens, doesn't I can't be upset about it. Sometimes I fucking hate the morons on this board. 

Shit happens. Been there. Learned my lesson and started balancing my own check book as pre-orders were made so I could avoid this. It helped me.

Edited by deftbarley
Removing my snippy comment and replacing with something helpful

9 hours ago, MyEnemy said:

What do you expect when you turn a forum thread into your blog?

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, swb said:

Totally get you here but IMO, for some, the equation can be a little more complex than "make smart financial choice = higher quality of life" or, at least, have other elements that make me less interested in highlighting each poor decision.

If someone makes the personal decision that their #1 goal or focus is to achieve a certain level of financial security, above all else, then I definitely think their perspective of eliminating all decisions that lead them away from that goal is right for them. If that isn't someone's main goal, above all else, then I don't know if I can tell them "You should have done X financial decision instead of Y financial decision". I can see how being broke and overdrawn and having some more records is a better life than being less broke and less overdrawn with less records. Not accounting for extremes or outliers, I tend to peace out of moralizing someone's situation and offer my best human-to-human vibes.

But, as I said, 100% get you and I do agree with you in many circumstances. To look at it selfishly, in case anyone is thinking I'm pandering or trying to appear selfless or something, part of why I don't indulge the instinct to wade into someone else's financial choices is because I'd simply be wrong. Whatever assessment I made for them, by virtue of me not being them and knowing all the particulars of their life, would most likely be inaccurate. So, "you do you" is also a selfish way to not be wrong. :P

I have come here for some financial advice... see... I contribute 9% into my deferred comp. Because I will have a pension this is to hopefully send one of my two boys to college. I am currently invested into the low risk generic option because I just want the money I saved but I'm barely seeing a 5% profit. Can you suggest a mutual fund with a better return and also do you think the purple pressing of the Marshal Mathers LP is a good choice or should I just try to pick up a previous pressing? Thanks

Just got my copies of No Strings Attached and Celebrity delivered....

Jackets look great, especially Celebrity with the foil(?) shiny-ness. I was expecting another mess like the Christmas Album, with everything being super pixelated, but the pics are super clear and sharp. Celebrity is a gatefold while NSA is just a sleeve (mine arrived with a decent seam split on the top of NSA even though is was shipped beautifully <_<)

Currently listening to NSA, and the sound isn't too bad. it's got some nice depth to the sound. 

I'll update once I listen to Celebrity