A few stores have put up a pre-order for the new 180g pressing of Californication. According to Elusive Disc, the vinyl was cut by Bernie Grundman. Anybody heard anything else about this? The original pressing sounded as bad as the CD did, so I'm hoping they did a decent remaster for this.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WEALP47386

$36.99 for a 2xLP is ridiculous. Hopefully someone gets them at a more reasonable price because I'd like a copy of this.

I pre-ordered it last night 8 minutes before the IVWT 17% off sale ended, got it for $29 shipped. Still pricey, but better than the competitors.

I'm also wondering if they'll do an RSD release for this.

• 2 months later...

It's labelled as "Limited Edition 180 Gram Vinyl". The inner sleeves are polylined, a lot like the I'm With You record. No surface noise on this new press, I feel like my older pressing had more pops and surface noise in general--so that's a huge plus for this reissue. As for the mastering, it's definitely quieter than the CD master and may even be quieter than the previous pressing. Definitely a step up from the previous issue.

My guess is it's the previous press. All the retail prices on the new reissue are at least $30, and I doubt someone on ebay can get them cheap enough to sell for $22.

Well, after asking the seller he said it was "the one released this year", which would imply the new Grundman-mastered one. He was selling more than 1 copy, which also helps support my idea that it isn't the original press.

So, I bought it - hopefully I just found a good bargain.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just spun this today. And there was repeated skipping in the same part of the LP (chorus of parallel universe and some part of scar tissue).

Anyone else have skipping issues with this?

EDIT: Seems like the problem's gone after some thorough cleaning... Sorry for the unnecessary bump.