Like all things, there are good and not-so-good linear trackers out there. The PX-3 definitely falls into the former category. In no way do I need another turntable, but I've always sorta lusted for some of the classic vintage Yamaha direct drives. I think it would be kinda cool to have a belt-drive, idler-drive and DD in my rotation ... for no other reason than "just because."

How much are they asking? There's one on eBay that sold for $350 recently and there's two more where the auction ends in about 4 hours. Use those a guide. Of course, if the shop has done some work on it and it's in pristine condition, then you might have to shell out a bit more. Consider it paying for peace of mind.

The PX-3 has an excellent reputation and if you're comfortable spending the money, I think you'll be happy. You can read about its big brother, The PX-2, at the Vintage Knob. Keep us posted!

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-PX-2.html

That's awesome. I was going to respond yesterday and let you know that those other two on eBay sold for well above $300. In fact, one went for over $500, so in terms of price you got a really good deal. Not that it should matter that much if you really love the turntable; it's just nice to know that you didn't overpay or that if you need to sell it somewhere down the line, you'll be able to get what you put into it, possibly more.

When you said "local shop," does that mean the unit has been worked on / reconditioned / restored? If so, even better.

Enjoy the table. I think you've got something that you'll really enjoy and if you decide to start upgrading the rest of your gear, the Yamaha won't be left in the dust.