Record Stores in Orlando?

I tried. I really, really tried. But that "list a record store" thread is too long, and is not in actual list form.

I'm moving to Orlando in two weeks, and I could use some help finding cool music stores and maybe even some cool food places too (preferably with fake meat). Also, I realize I can google "Orlando Record Stores", but that doesn't really help if I want to know where to get good/cheap used records, or Ambient or Soul/Funk stuff or whatever. I remember reading something about Retro Records, and the sandwich shop (Pom?) next to it, both being highly recommended. How are they?Thanks again.

How do you ask for advice then try to tell someone who offers advice that their advice is in fact wrong?

I lived in FL for 19 years, whenever I went to Orlando, I went to Park Ave. Yes, their rare section is priced pretty close to eBay prices but they're not the most overpriced record store around. You might not get [insert your favorite band that's popular and has a record that sells for $100] but you'll certainly find something worth the money.

Nice people too. No pretension whatsoever.

A good place to eat lunch is 503 Mills, which is the address. Great sandwiches and lots of beer.

How do you ask for advice then try to tell someone who offers advice that their advice is in fact wrong?

Actually, sir, since I feel I asked for Vinyl spots and Vegetarian food, and he hits me with a (predominantly) CD joint and BBQ, I was trying to clarify what exactly it was that was good about Park Ave, and was trying to decipher if he read what I was actually kinda looking for. That is how I do it. Also check Park Ave on Yelp, and nearly everyone mentions their "overpriced cds", and even a cursory glance on their own website shows that they sell a $5 Snow Patrol cdep for $16.99 + Shipping, and they haven't updated the page in several years. I kinda wanted to gleam a tad more information from that fellow. Also, if you read past the part where I ask about Park Ave, you'll notice I succumbed to his BBQ advice. Sheesh.

So anyway, 503 Mills will be getting some of my business. Thanks.

IMO none of the record stores in Orlando are very good. Park Ave has a great cd selection, but not a whole lot of vinyl. R&R Heaven has a lot of stock but I never found much that interested me. Both are on the high side with their pricing.

Vinyl Richie's Wiggly World of Records sounds cool if it's the Florida's Dying people. I don't believe that was around the last time I was in Orlando. (2007ish)

IMO none of the record stores in Orlando are very good. Park Ave has a great cd selection, but not a whole lot of vinyl. R&R Heaven has a lot of stock but I never found much that interested me. Both are on the high side with their pricing.

Vinyl Richie's Wiggly World of Records sounds cool if it's the Florida's Dying people. I don't believe that was around the last time I was in Orlando. (2007ish)

Park recently opened up an entire new aisle set aside for used records. It's really grown since.

Like others have said, Park Ave has a good selection of new and an alright section of used depending on what you are into.

Might I suggest heading further south to the St Pete/Tampa area?

Mojo Records and Banana's Records have a pretty nice selection of used vinyl.

You can spend a whole day at either of the Banana's locations and still not cover it all.

Like others have said, Park Ave has a good selection of new and an alright section of used depending on what you are into.

Might I suggest heading further south to the St Pete/Tampa area?

Mojo Records and Banana's Records have a pretty nice selection of used vinyl.

You can spend a whole day at either of the Banana's locations and still not cover it all.

Nice. Thanks for that info. Will check those out on my days off.

Here are my reviews from a couple years ago in the 'Record Store List' thread... they pretty much still hold true other than there is that new Vinyl Richies place. It's all hard to find (read obscure) punk stuff from what I hear, but I haven't visited yet.

Park Ave CD's: Great store with cool people. Not a big used vinyl section but you can occasionally find something good. They are more focused on new items, especially of the indie/punk/hardcore/etc variety. They typically have all the new releases and even the harder to get ones. Prices are what I would call 'normal'.

Rock & Roll Heaven: They have the largest Used vinyl collection in Orlando. Not much new. Fun to sort through as they have everything. Punk/indie/classic/folk/hip-hop/country... just everything. Not to mention hundreds upon hundreds of non-sorted 7 inches in the back. There are some good finds to be had here, but only one problem... in my opinion they are way over priced. If you are willing to shell out the cash for something thats harder to find then you'll be ok, but if a bargain is what you are after this isn't the spot.

Retro Records (59 North Bumby Avenue, Orlando, FL 32803) : This is where you go to find a bargain on used stuff. Great prices and a good selection. The only thing with these guys is you won't find any current music though. Their main focus is on classic rock titles. The majority of their inventory pre-dates the 90s. If you're looking for some Zep, Beatles, Clash, etc at a good price then this is where to go. Also a decent selection of Jazz and singles. I like going here, but again just know there is nothing current here.

I cannot in fair conscience recommend Fake Meat, but here are a few good spots to check out:

Pom Poms and her sister restaurant Tako Cheena (both open late night)

Most Vietnamese restaurants near the Colonial/Mills Intersection

4 Rivers

Ravenous Pig (outstanding food if you are looking for a nicer dinner)

If you drink, then you should visit Redlight Redlight for some good beer.

from the times i've been to orlando, park ave has been the best. Yes they're overpriced, but the cost of the record comes out to what you would pay after shipping. The guys that work there have always been nice too.

rock & roll heaven like gabe said has a large collection. Lots of gems, but i also agree that you're going to pay for it.

retro was cool. Lots of used cds. The records were hard to look through as the crates/boxes were stuffed. Got a couple new order records there.

Vinyl richies (floridas dying) was hard to find. turns out it's a very small (SMALL) room in a parking lot. Lots of stuff that's popular on terminal boredom. Everything he has for sale on his florida's dying website is what he has for sale in his store.

If i had to choose the best, it's park ave, but like kurtz said, there really isnt a solid good store.

Actually, sir, since I feel I asked for Vinyl spots and Vegetarian food, and he hits me with a (predominantly) CD joint and BBQ, I was trying to clarify what exactly it was that was good about Park Ave, and was trying to decipher if he read what I was actually kinda looking for. That is how I do it. Also check Park Ave on Yelp, and nearly everyone mentions their "overpriced cds", and even a cursory glance on their own website shows that they sell a $5 Snow Patrol cdep for $16.99 + Shipping, and they haven't updated the page in several years. I kinda wanted to gleam a tad more information from that fellow. Also, if you read past the part where I ask about Park Ave, you'll notice I succumbed to his BBQ advice. Sheesh.

I actually messed up the name of the resturant so just use the internet to figure out where it is. You're so good at looking things up on Yelp.

I used to live right outside of Orlando in Winter Park and there was a little record store that had just opened up called Hullabaloo (spelling?). I don't know if its still open but they had great prices. I always found stuff I wanted, but they didn't have a huge selection at the time. Great people too.

In his defense I didn't really catch the veggie part either and 4 rivers is the best place in town. For a vegetarian try some of Orlando's more hipster offerings like dandelion cafe and stardust cafe. A good chain to check out is pita pit, there is one downtown on orange and one in the winter park area. Another good vegetarian place is sweet tomatoes, it's unbelievable buffet for a great price and there is lots of soups and salads for no meat eaters. I'm sure there is more that I don't know about but I could ask my friends, though they always complain about the lack in Orlando. If you want meat I can make many more suggestions.

As for park ave I fucking love them and I go there 2-3 times a week just to hang out and see the people that work there. Alex is my favorite but Mikey and thierney and jeff and everyone else is all very cool and helpful. Park ave isn't meant for crate digging, it's for releases that are still in print, and if its in print they can probably get it for you. I usually can't beat PACDs prices with most anywhere else. They also have novelty stuff like books, international sodas etc. the website is never ever updated but add them on facebook to get updates and events like the record release parties that they have. They have pretty big names coming in for signings and performances too, my sister saw the civil wars there earlier this year. Tl;dr great store great people

I agree with everyone on the other record stores and if you need anything or advice or help in Orlando just let me know. I'll be around this week and next and then I'm moving to Gainesville to I to UF but I can answer most questions since I was born here and i haven't been able to get away since. Enjoy otown!

Ps sorry for typos im on my phone

In his defense I didn't really catch the veggie part either and 4 rivers is the best place in town. For a vegetarian try some of Orlando's more hipster offerings like dandelion cafe and stardust cafe. A good chain to check out is pita pit, there is one downtown on orange and one in the winter park area. Another good vegetarian place is sweet tomatoes, it's unbelievable buffet for a great price and there is lots of soups and salads for no meat eaters. I'm sure there is more that I don't know about but I could ask my friends, though they always complain about the lack in Orlando. If you want meat I can make many more suggestions.

As for park ave I fucking love them and I go there 2-3 times a week just to hang out and see the people that work there. Alex is my favorite but Mikey and thierney and jeff and everyone else is all very cool and helpful. Park ave isn't meant for crate digging, it's for releases that are still in print, and if its in print they can probably get it for you. I usually can't beat PACDs prices with most anywhere else. They also have novelty stuff like books, international sodas etc. the website is never ever updated but add them on facebook to get updates and events like the record release parties that they have. They have pretty big names coming in for signings and performances too, my sister saw the civil wars there earlier this year. Tl;dr great store great people

I agree with everyone on the other record stores and if you need anything or advice or help in Orlando just let me know. I'll be around this week and next and then I'm moving to Gainesville to I to UF but I can answer most questions since I was born here and i haven't been able to get away since. Enjoy otown!

Ps sorry for typos im on my phone

Thanks for all the tips and help. Just want to clarify that I am moving there with my partner who is vegetarian. I'm not vegetarian, but have to keep his interests in mind. We won't be arrive there until next Saturday, u-hauling it from jersey, leaving thursday morning. Sorry if I came off brash regarding Park Ave, I had only heard and read about the being a cd joint. I will def check them out next weekend.

I live in Winter Park (which is basically Orlando) and I'd completely back Park Ave CD's. They aren't over priced and the dudes that work there, especially Alex and Calvin, are really good guys. Incredibly nice and very knowledgeable. I actually bought my Pro-Ject Debut III from them on RSD this year.

And like everyone else said, check out Rock and Roll Heaven. Good used selection.

I'm not a vegetarian, so I can't help you out there. But 4 Rivers is definitely the best BBQ place in town, in case your non-veg friends ever ask.

• 2 years later...

i am in Kissimmee, FL for my wife's family reunion.  I stopped into Park Ave today after reading this thread and all I have to say is WOW!

that place is awesome.  I dropped some serious cash in there today. 

great spot Floridians, I wish we had something this cool where I live.