$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Someone asked them about this on their facebook and they responded "There is no groove (this would actually have a negative impact on wow & flutter). The motor's natural speed consistency and the belt's tension ensures that the belt stays in the same place when the table is running." 

Seems like a lot of people have that problem and it sounds like the solution is in finding the perfect position.

i have to start it up and then use my finger nail to guide the belt up a little higher. then when i turn it off i have to hold my finger nail under the belt or else it just comes right off. it wasnt doing this at first. Just started like 2 days ago.

Well I haven't done any direct comparisons (who really would have that liberty) so much as online research and comparisons between specs and charts, frequency response, etc. but really, I have faith that in that price range you could not find a better cartridge/stylus combo if accuracy and detail is your goal. Some people prefer something a little more colored, warm and lively, and that's fine. This setup is very good quality but also very analytical. Not the best choice if that's not your goal.

I think it's pretty well established that the v15 and all it's cousins have historically been noted for their near ruler-flat response but also their terribly undetailed and uninvolving sound. It is used as reference in many mastering studios but not in many true hi-fi setups. The m97xe is the modern day equivalent of that line, although still a little dead sounding. The JICO upgrade makes a world of difference and takes it to a whole new level. Very high compliance and small profile, basically the complete opposite of what shure provides stock for the cartridge. It's pretty much as perfect a cut of a diamond you could get for a stylus.

I would be very willing to post samples if you would be interested.

So in other words you have no idea what you're talking about. Ok. Makes sense.

So in other words you have no idea what you're talking about. Ok. Makes sense.

If you say so man. I did my research. If you could come up with a more detailed or accurate cartridge in my stated price range, I'll buy one myself. Heck, I'd probably buy one for you too.

It's a winning combo. There's a reason I picked it for my own setup, and I personally highly recommend it above almost all others, especially in this price range. Do you have any personal experience with this cartridge? Or any logical reason to doubt my claims regarding it's performance?

At this point I'm seriously considering ordering one after Christmas. My vintage Pioneer has pretty much shit the bed so right now I'm stuck using an awful Sony USB table - good excuse to upgrade.

Sucks about the no pick-up rule though... I'm probably half an hour from the facility. Damn.

So the Plus with the Grado Green comes to $320 shipped. No arm lift, a falling belt and "questionable" tonearm, bearing and wiring, next to a $350 shipped Carbon Debut, of course fitted with a better cart. Again, this seems far from a good price/performance purchase to me.

So the Plus with the Grado Green comes to $320 shipped. No arm lift, a falling belt and "questionable" tonearm, bearing and wiring, next to a $350 shipped Carbon Debut, of course fitted with a better cart. Again, this seems far from a good price/performance purchase to me.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you finding the Carbon at $350 shipped? I'm sure it's been posted but I can't remember when or where.

When you look at it that way, the choice definitely leans to the debut big time. The discount code is only good until Tuesday at Musicians friend though so if you're going to order, do it before then. Who knows what type of discount they will offer after that.

Can I have one? Only if it betters the re-tipped Shure of course... ;)

Clearaudio-Maestro-v2-Ebony-large.jpg

Here: http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Maestro-v2-Ebony-Phono-Cartridge?sc=2&category=367

Thanks! :D

Low compliance carts in 2013? No thanks :P

Although clearaudio does have some nicer ones higher up in the chain... And I absolutely love their turntables, plan on buying an innovation in the future. Definitely better than rega and VPI offerings in my opinion.

Low compliance carts in 2013? No thanks :P

Although clearaudio does have some nicer ones higher up in the chain... And I absolutely love their turntables, plan on buying an innovation in the future. Definitely better than rega and VPI offerings in my opinion.

"In my opinion" doesn't mean anything if you haven't actually heard the products. From what I've gathered you're just reading specs and other people's opinions and have little to no personal experience with any of the products that you mention. Having said that, if you like what you have, that's great but stop giving advice like you have actually heard the products that you are comparing.

"In my opinion" doesn't mean anything if you haven't actually heard the products. From what I've gathered you're just reading specs and other people's opinions and have little to no personal experience with any of the products that you mention. Having said that, if you like what you have, that's great but stop giving advice like you have actually heard the products that you are comparing.

To be fair, in this hobby of ours, opinions and specs are really all we have to go on. It's not like there really is an opportunity to compare any of these products firsthand. In my opinion, based on specifications and features, I happen to like the clearuadio tables better than other offerings.

The great thing about the Internet is that my opinion can be helpful to those that need a little guidance, and it can also be completely ignored by anyone who may choose to do so. But that's what the forum is for, to discuss and share our opinions, no?

Nobody would be buying the turntable we are discussing in this thread in the first place if it weren't for opinions and specs. Nobody here has had a chance to examine and hear it first, yet we all drew conclusions and decided whether or not it was a good purchase.

To be fair, in this hobby of ours, opinions and specs are really all we have to go on. It's not like there really is an opportunity to compare any of these products firsthand. In my opinion, based on specifications and features, I happen to like the clearuadio tables better than other offerings.

The great thing about the Internet is that my opinion can be helpful to those that need a little guidance, and it can also be completely ignored by anyone who may choose to do so. But that's what the forum is for, to discuss and share our opinions, no?

Nobody would be buying the turntable we are discussing in this thread in the first place if it weren't for opinions and specs. Nobody here has had a chance to examine and hear it first, yet we all drew conclusions and decided whether or not it was a good purchase.

People generally consult message boards for EDUCATED opinions.  As you say, this is the 'internet' and people are free to spout complete, unfounded, nonsense if they choose to.   However, people also have the right to point out a pile of BS if they find one stinking up their inter-tubes.

October 20th. They originally said it would ship first week of December

I'm a Kickstarter backer and still haven't received mine. I think they have been saying that post-Kickstarter orders will be shipping mid-January in their most recent updates. The wait has sucked but it sounds like they have done a good job, looking forward to getting mine soon.

I'm a Kickstarter backer and still haven't received mine. I think they have been saying that post-Kickstarter orders will be shipping mid-January in their most recent updates. The wait has sucked but it sounds like they have done a good job, looking forward to getting mine soon.

Seriously. That sucks. Was hoping to get it for Christmas.

Find a good price on a DL-110. No washers or risers needed.

I recommended this in another thread.  Full disclosure - I've never been a fan of Ortofon.

By the way, Comet Supply sells Denon carts dirt cheap.  The only catch is that often you have to wait weeks.  I think they buy directly from Denon in bulk, so they wait for the orders to pile up.  But it's definitely worth consideration if you don't mind the fact that you might not get your cartridge until the end of Jan.

http://www.cometsupply.com//mn/DENON/

I recommended this in another thread.  Full disclosure - I've never been a fan of Ortofon.

By the way, Comet Supply sells Denon carts dirt cheap.  The only catch is that often you have to wait weeks.  I think they buy directly from Denon in bulk, so they wait for the orders to pile up.  But it's definitely worth consideration if you don't mind the fact that you might not get your cartridge until the end of Jan.

http://www.cometsupply.com//mn/DENON/

Nice find.  I've been on the fence about getting a DL-110 for a while.  This made up my mind.