$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

I was wondering this as well. If I do an Orbit Plus with all the bells and whistles (including a preamp), it puts me about the same price as the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

If you're thinking about spending 299 for the plus then just go with the pro-ject debut iii or spend a bit more for the debut carbon.

$179 is a great buy for a stylish decent manual tt. For 299 you're better off going with a tried and true brand.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're thinking about spending 299 for the plus then just go with the pro-ject debut iii or spend a bit more for the debut carbon.

$179 is a great buy for a stylish decent manual tt. For 299 you're better off going with a tried and true brand.

+1

Pardon if this link was already posted but here is a comparison of the U-Turn against a couple entry level models (yikes at the u-turn speed accuracy numbers):http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Surprised nobody has posted about the speed accuracy thing before... is it really that bad? The strange thing is reading this comparison was the first time I ever heard about this issue. Every other review I've read for this turntable has never complained about it, and I read one that said the U-turn spins very accurately at both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM...

Well, judging by the set-up of most folks here, this isn't exactly an audiophile forum. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, since audiophile forums have their own set of turn-offs as well. But my point is that this forum tends to attract folks whose main reason for getting into this hobby is simply about collecting the vinyl itself -- not necessarily for sound quality reasons. You can tell this by the plethora of set-ups that are posted with bookshelf speakers sitting directly next to someone's turntable.

I'd say most listeners here aren't the most discerning (once again, not necessarily a bad thing). 

I was kind of confused by the article, it was stated that equipment used to test the turntables was valued at $30,000+ and also stated that an iOS app and another software program was used. Anyone have an idea of what the expensive equipment was that was used for testing? Apologies if it was stated in the article and I missed it.

The reviewer said it spun accurately in this review:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/u-turn%E2%80%99s-remarkable-179-orbit-turntable-crosley-killer

Not sure if this person is judging the table by audiophile standards or not, but is it really such a drawback that people shouldn't purchase this turntable? Kind of disappointing to find out about this after I spent the money on the turntable, never found a review that had pointed it out before then. 

Actually, if you go back and read, Fremer says: 

The raw frequency deviation was significant at around ±.5% but once it was low pass filtered to remove record eccentricity induced wow it was down to very acceptable levels especially for a turntable at this low price.

So he also found frequency deviation to be significant, but it's strange that he measured around 0.5% off while the other reviewer measured closer to 0.75% deviation. Both measures got better after a low-pass filtered was applied -- but still speed accuracy is a step behind the Pro-Ject or Audio Technica.

But Fremer's review does note that the speed issues are "down to very acceptable levels especially for a turntable at this low price." I don't read that to mean it's absolutely speed accurate, but more like it's good for this $200 price range (ie Crosley).

No one is saying this is a bad turntable AT ALL. For the price, it completely blows away Crosley's. And I bet most people can't even notice 0.5% of speed deviation. There gets to the a point where objective measurements don't correlate to subjective listening anymore -- although it doees help to have data points out there to make informed decisions. My main point was that once you start getting to the Orbit Plus price level, you should absolutely cross-shop some of the more established competitors like the Pro-Ject or the Rega RP1. 

I was kind of confused by the article, it was stated that equipment used to test the turntables was valued at $30,000+ and also stated that an iOS app and another software program was used. Anyone have an idea of what the expensive equipment was that was used for testing? Apologies if it was stated in the article and I missed it.

No, I agree it is misleading and the author seems to just want to brag about his equipment. I assume he had $30,000 worth of stereo equipment hooked up to the turntables, but his measurements were taken using an iOS app called Platter Speed. It's the same app that Michael Fremer used in his Analog Planet article as well to test turntable speed accuracy. 

That wirecutter review is trash and was dubunked over at AudioKarma.

If you read between the lines you'll see that all of the turntables they reccomend, they have endorsement deals with through Amazon, which means they get money whenever someone buys one of those tables through their website. Coincidentally, the Orbit can only be purchased directly from U-Turn. Doing some basic background on the "reviewer", you'll also find he's a guy who co-edits home theatre websites and has no apparent background with turntables.

So much for journalistic integrity.

I sort of laughed a bit while I was reading that Wirecutter review. He's been reviewing audio equipment for literally half a decade. That sounded funny to me. Like there's people around who have been doing it for literally half a century. Idk. Maybe that was just funny to me. But I agree with the sentiment that the guy sorta seemed to just be bragging about his equipment.

I looked at the Debut Carbon, but I just can't justify the extra $100 or $150. I also love the way the Orbit looks, which I know isn't a good reason, but going from my first table, the AT-LP60, to the Orbit is plenty of a step-up for me, and I like the idea of supporting a small, new American business who I haven't really heard anything had about. I'm excited to see what some of you guys who are getting these in think when you get them.

for those of you that have ordered a custom turntable from U-Turn, how close to the 'week of' was it once you received your table?

I emailed to get a status update and see if I was still on target to receive mine based off of the delivery calendar estimate, and I received a very non-committal response explaining that it is merely an estimate and many factors can alter the actual time the table leaves the shop. 

please note, this isn't a slight on the company at all, I'm simply trying to get a sample of others' experience...

for those of you that have ordered a custom turntable from U-Turn, how close to the 'week of' was it once you received your table?

I emailed to get a status update and see if I was still on target to receive mine based off of the delivery calendar estimate, and I received a very non-committal response explaining that it is merely an estimate and many factors can alter the actual time the table leaves the shop. 

please note, this isn't a slight on the company at all, I'm simply trying to get a sample of others' experience...

Seems to me like they are doing the best they can do deliver a quality product.

It's very few people filling a lot of complicated orders.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter whether its custom or not, they put each table together the same way.

I ordered mine on Jan 1 and got it April 3rd, just to give you an idea.

word. Thanks for the response. Just getting anxious, excited for the upgrade.

Seems to me like they are doing the best they can do deliver a quality product.

It's very few people filling a lot of complicated orders.

Totally, I'm super-stoked to support the little guy. I realize that it takes time, I was merely looking for a sample of others experience. I'm hoping next week's delivery estimate stays true.

So I'm planning on purchasing one of these in the next week or so. Should I upgrade to the acrylic platter? This will be my first TT that's really worth a damn, and I wanna get something that I won't feel like replacing any time soon. I know a lot of people suggest springing for the Pro-Ject, but I'm more keen on supporting these guys, so I'm not really leaning in that direction at this time. Is the difference in platter noticeable enough for a relatively novice listener such as myself to justify the extra money?

I'm currently in the 'week of' and am waiting for a tracking number. The delays have been a bit disappointing, but the customer service has more than made up for it. I share the sentiment of others in that these guys are doing the best they can, and I am very much appreciative of their hard work.

I'm currently in the 'week of' and am waiting for a tracking number. The delays have been a bit disappointing, but the customer service has more than made up for it. I share the sentiment of others in that these guys are doing the best they can, and I am very much appreciative of their hard work.

I'm in the same boat hoping to receive shipping notice this week... I've accepted that it might not happen. I totally understand the situation. I could have gone with another option, but like others in the thread, the custom handmade product was too exciting to pass up.