$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

"Audiophile" is just being used here as shorthand for "pretty good sounding." I'm assuming what they're getting at is, "exceptional for the average user."

So what about the price? If they've found a way to cut manufacturing and material costs in their design, then so be it. Nobody will know until they actually try one. Starting with a grant, then kickstarter, and not having a "brand" to support/name to pay for, maybe they really did pull it off.

Though seriously, that's bogus about not having a dust cover. I have cats and a pomegranate, I don't want hair on my table. But the idea is really cool. I'll purchase one and write out my impressions for people to read about online.

Hahahahahahaha!!!! I was laughing so hard.

The reason they're calling this an "audiophile turntable" is because the motor away from the plinth, the plinth a solid piece of material, and that you can replace the cartridge. I would have preferred to see it have a clamp, but whatever. Had this existed ten years ago when I bought my VPI Scout, I probably could have saved $1700.

I'll believe this thing when I see it. Hearing it is secondary at this point. As a mass produced item at $150, I just don't think it's possible for it to sound even as good as a Debut III. I could be wrong and I'll gladly say it.

The reason they're calling this an "audiophile turntable" is because the motor away from the plinth, the plinth a solid piece of material, and that you can replace the cartridge. I would have preferred to see it have a clamp, but whatever. Had this existed ten years ago when I bought my VPI Scout, I probably could have saved $1700.

Hopefully they'll make an upgraded model for say, $250, and I can trade some sucker for my Classic.

I'll believe this thing when I see it. Hearing it is secondary at this point. As a mass produced item at $150, I just don't think it's possible for it to sound even as good as a Debut III. I could be wrong and I'll gladly say it.

I highly doubt even the debut iii costs more than $150 to produce. it's all about profit-margin and overhead.

• 1 month later...