Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

IMG_5474_zpsdfabc556.jpeg

2month yoga result, I went from 175 (freshman bean pole) to 265 (power lifter freshman/sophomore) to 250 (fat junior) now I'm chilling at 230 (senior yogi) and going for 220 :D

6'6" btw

Not benching almost 400+ anymore but hey....I'm starting to do rad shit like head stands :P

#NoNeedToFlexSwagYOLO #matchbox420

Edited by HipsterAsFolk

Okay, so I've been out of the fitness game for a bit now (about a year and a half) and jumped back in about three weeks ago. I've been extremely focused on weights and dieting. I'm a hard gainer, so I'm built very lanky and over that lady year and a half have gained the dreaded tire around my midsection. Hopefully some of you on here can offer a critique on my current approach, which is as follows:

- weights four days a week, broken into body parts (chest/upper back, arms, legs/lower back, shoulders/tris), with Abs three days a week

- 3-4 sets descending reps (12-10-8, etc)

- steady cardio four days a week (about 2-2.5 miles a day walking fast), 5-10 sprints/box jumps. One hour a week of steady cardio. I hate running.

- 2000-2400 calories a day, all clean foods, about 200g of protein through whey, lean meats, nuts and eggs. Very few carbs outside of pre/post workout

- Supplements: glutamine post workout, multi, CLA (6-10 a day)

There's far too much information on the interwebz regarding weights/diet and it's hard considering I want to lose my tire while also building lean muscle mass. Also, I want to get super fucking ripped ya'll

Someone more knowledgeable than me can give specific guidance but from a practical perspective, that schedule seems pretty difficult to adhere to. The way I read it you've got 8 or 9 fitness items per week, which for me, would lead to burnout. 

For me, cardio twice a week and weights twice a week combined with calorie tracking is plenty to lose weight. I go around 1,800 calories on days I do nothing and 2,200 - 2,600 on activity days. On low calorie days I'll eat a little more if my body is really telling me to feed it. That is to lose, when I am just trying to maintain I up those numbers to a more normal range. 

Not sure if that helps. Good luck bud. I've got to imagine if you stick to that routine you'll lose that tire fairly quickly. 

This last week I've been exhausted. Caffeine hasn't been doing a damn thing either. Am I screwing myself over by taking a break? I plan on going to the gym tomorrow because I'm off work but it's been rough lately. I have no drive to go and when I'm there I feel like I get winded a lot faster than I used to.

You are actually hurting yourself if you don't:

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-deload-properly-and-why-its-so-important/

that's pretty cool & something I've just started doing today by accident as at work they have a new gym and there's no barbell / squat rack or even a smiths so I'm having to make do with a few machines and 25kg DBs. Dropped weights, kept the reps at 10-12 (thats what this week should be for the program i'm on). 

Lets see if it has the results in 2 weeks time and I get back to normal....

This last week I've been exhausted. Caffeine hasn't been doing a damn thing either. Am I screwing myself over by taking a break? I plan on going to the gym tomorrow because I'm off work but it's been rough lately. I have no drive to go and when I'm there I feel like I get winded a lot faster than I used to.

I'm just jumping in here, first time reading the thread & this is the first page I see.  I'm no doctor I have no background in lifting education of any sort, but common sense tells me breaks, even long ones, will be good for the long run.  I lift off & on, myself.  Since I was about 15, I'm 32 now.  Sometimes I'm off for a month or more.  And then when I'm on, I'm every other day, no matter what.  And I'm still in almost the exact same shape I was back then, and feel like it, too.  Every day.  I see guys hit it real hard, real consistently, then have equally big drop offs & your body will respond to such treatment.  I think just like anything else, moderation is key.

Granted, different people have different goals.  My goal has never been to gain as much mass as possible, just to stay active, fit, and toned.  So what I do may not work for everyone.  I'm just saying I would never be too shy to take a break.  If you're exhausted, rest.  Listen to your body, always.  You got a day off after being so exhausted?  F the gym, lay around all day.  Or do something else more relaxing.  Save it for a day off when your tank is back on full & you feel good & want to be there, you'll get way better physical-and mental-results.

I hate cardio, just want to throw that out there. I read various things bickering back and forth between whether HIIT or steady state or walking cardio is better. That has nothing to do with weights, I'm just confused on what to do. I used to like jogging, now I loathe it. What does everyone else do for cardio?

Not seeing huge drops on weight yet either, but it's only been a month of heavy training and I should probably be more patient

I hate cardio, just want to throw that out there. I read various things bickering back and forth between whether HIIT or steady state or walking cardio is better. That has nothing to do with weights, I'm just confused on what to do. I used to like jogging, now I loathe it. What does everyone else do for cardio?

Not seeing huge drops on weight yet either, but it's only been a month of heavy training and I should probably be more patient

i don't know much about weight lifting, etc, but i do know that losing weight more slowly is better for you, and you're more likely to keep it off in the long run if you do it that way.

Was anyone else required to lift in high school? I lifted weights all 4 years, because all athletes were required to take a strength training class. I even made it in some girl club for lifting a lot. Now I’m weak and soft. need to get back into it.

Was anyone else required to lift in high school? I lifted weights all 4 years, because all athletes were required to take a strength training class. I even made it in some girl club for lifting a lot. Now I’m weak and soft. need to get back into it.

We were.  Even if you weren't in sports, at least once a week in gym class we had to go to the weight room.

my gym class was the biggest joke. the way the scheduling worked out, my gym class was opposite the lab slot for the AP sciences, so it was mostly my nerdy friends and i in class together. my gym teacher was way cool and we usually did dumb stuff or he let us study during that period. also, i had broken my foot in his class in middle school (he then moved up to the high school so i had him for something like 5 or 6 years) and i think he was afraid of me hurting myself again, so he never made me do anything and i always got 99 or 100 ahaha.

Plenty of dudes are ripped and do zero cardio. Diet most important thing. You can eat more and do cardio (to create a calorie deficit) or eat less and just do weights.

I'd suggest you follow a documented training regiment (plenty of good ones available from google, just look at the credentials of the guy putting it out) and not try and piece together exercises yourself. Why not rely on an expert who does this for a living?

Plenty of dudes are ripped and do zero cardio.

it's funny watching how winded those guys get when they have to do any mildly strenuous cardio in real life, ahaha.

i used to watch those challenges on mtv with the casts from the real world, and the one dude was huge and ripped and the entire season hated on every other dude for not being as 'in shape' as him. the final challenge they had to do involved hiking/running several miles up this mountain, and the dude he always ripped on for not being as strong as him wound up practically carrying him up the hill because he was so winded due to him never doing cardio. hilarious.

Plenty of dudes are ripped and do zero cardio. Diet most important thing. You can eat more and do cardio (to create a calorie deficit) or eat less and just do weights.

I'd suggest you follow a documented training regiment (plenty of good ones available from google, just look at the credentials of the guy putting it out) and not try and piece together exercises yourself. Why not rely on an expert who does this for a living?

I agree with this. I would put more focus on your eating than your cardio. Go for a nice walk once a day or a few times a week if ya got to. If you're eating right and lifting you won't need cardio. 

As far as weights go, I have a pretty good idea as to what I'm doing, and a buddy of mine is a trainer. As for information on the net, there's just far far too much. It's mostly cardio that I'm always curious about

As far as weights go, I have a pretty good idea as to what I'm doing, and a buddy of mine is a trainer. As for information on the net, there's just far far too much. It's mostly cardio that I'm always curious about

Wasn't saying you need to do a lit review on what's out there. Just to admit that regardless of how good your workout is, there are people out there who have meticulously planned out exercises, weights, duration, progression, etc. that know more than you (just have to find the right one to match your goals), and they have put it out there for free. No reason not to leverage. There are versions with cardio and without, as you can't separate a program from a goal (train for a sport, cut weight, put on muscle, etc...).

If you just need a nudge in the right direction, to be stickied on this board means that a program is solid:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

it's funny watching how winded those guys get when they have to do any mildly strenuous cardio in real life, ahaha.

i used to watch those challenges on mtv with the casts from the real world, and the one dude was huge and ripped and the entire season hated on every other dude for not being as 'in shape' as him. the final challenge they had to do involved hiking/running several miles up this mountain, and the dude he always ripped on for not being as strong as him wound up practically carrying him up the hill because he was so winded due to him never doing cardio. hilarious.

For sure. The best cardio athletes in the world are Ethiopians with toothpick arms.

Different goals between training for athletic performance and just trying to put on size or lose fat. Just gotta find a program that matches what you are trying to accomplish. The majority of the talk in here has been focused on gaining strength or losing weight, not doing triathalons.

I did burpees with deadlifts in them today (deadlift, go down, kick out, push up, kick in, deadlift). It was pretty rough but I feel like I got a good work out. Did my triceps and shoulders afterwards.

It seems like a bad idea to me, only in that you need a tight back or you are going to hurt yourself with a deadlift. Trying to do other exercises with it in series seems like it might lead to a rushed deadlift which might equal trouble. If you are careful though, cool.

Wasn't saying you need to do a lit review on what's out there. Just to admit that regardless of how good your workout is, there are people out there who have meticulously planned out exercises, weights, duration, progression, etc. that know more than you (just have to find the right one to match your goals), and they have put it out there for free. No reason not to leverage. There are versions with cardio and without, as you can't separate a program from a goal (train for a sport, cut weight, put on muscle, etc...).

If you just need a nudge in the right direction, to be stickied on this board means that a program is solid:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

oh there's definitely a lot that i could learn out there, its just a bit overwhelming is all

It seems like a bad idea to me, only in that you need a tight back or you are going to hurt yourself with a deadlift. Trying to do other exercises with it in series seems like it might lead to a rushed deadlift which might equal trouble. If you are careful though, cool.

I'm just a real hard dude ;)

I would have stopped of I felt like I was hurting myself, it was a damn good workout though, definitely feeling it today!

• 3 months later...

I walk for an hour every morning for 1hr after my yohimbine hcl and listen to audiobooks, then again I walk to and from campus as well. So 3-9miles a day (depending on if I have to stop home or not.) Also I jump rope to failure after all my workouts, throw some moguls or mountain climbers into workouts. 

Also my favorite equipment I use are my kettle bells, got two of these bad boys  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

If anyone is trying to cut weight then here is the info for taking Yohimbine HCL.

Yohimbine HCL (.2g for every KG) w/ 200mg Caffeine pill....total = $18ish using Amazon.com Brand name: Primaforce (90caps 2.5g) about 12 days worth for me. i.e. 203.8=92.44x.2=18.48/2.5= 7.3 (7-8) pills a morning 90/7= 12.85 (12-13) days

Take the Yohimbine w/ Caffeine in the morning (fasted state) walk for an hour. Don't eat for 3-4hrs after taking the Yohimbine.

****When consuming for the first time, take a low dosage to see how your body reacts then work into it.***

#CuttingForKhalesi