Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

I got this vegan protein powder. Tastes like shit but feels better in the body than muscle milk. I always found MM to sit heavy. Im always up for a rec as well.

Muscle feast! It's all natural and I've used it for a long time, a place around here called supzilla sells it in bulk, it can be found on Amazon though. I either go with that or bodybuilding.com brand.

Granted this was months ago, but thanks for the suggestions.  I did vegan protein powder at one point--ughh the taste.  I'll have to check out muscle feast.  I actually winded up going with ON gold standard.  I've been enjoying it.

I need to start lifting again.  I used to hit 330lbs benching, 550 deadlifting and squatting.  I just don't know anyone now who wants to power lift or that's strong enough to work with.

http://ironsport.com/  Not sure if this is anywhere near you. I once lifted here, it was a pretty awesome place. Sure you could find someone to lift with at this place.

Started Stronglifts 6 weeks ago with zero prior experience, today i squatted my bodyweight 5x5, it feels good to hit little milestones!

I did that for a good while, it's a nice program that just added structure to what I was already doing. However, the squatting began to take it's toll on me and I had to cool it down. I've switched it up a bit, but still do something pretty similar. 

http://ironsport.com/  Not sure if this is anywhere near you. I once lifted here, it was a pretty awesome place. Sure you could find someone to lift with at this place.

That's a bit far for me.  There is a Powerhouse Gym near me that I may go to, but I wish I had a friend on the same page as me ready to move some serious weight with me.

• 1 month later...

Squatted for the first time in 6 months (maybe more). Quads are on fire with only 100 pounds (sets of 10, though). I had been doing some body-weight squats occasionally but it's just not the same effect. You get winded more than you tire your muscles out.

Was in a pretty bad place with back pain. Wasn't "give me bottles of vicodin and sign me up for back surgery" bad, but I was having trouble playing golf, had the moderate pain down my left leg, etc. Ability to squat was not my main concern at that point.

Think I got some benefit out of replacing my mattress (went from very soft pillowtop to a pretty stiff memory foam) but especially, bought an inversion table and use it for 10 minutes a day. Feeling 10x better. I'm gonna ramp up slow and have given up on the idea of the 1k pound squat-deadlift-bench (if I could comfortably do a 200x5 set of ass-to-the-ground squats, I'd be happy with it), but feeling great to take that first step towards a proper lifting program again.

Stopped lifting for about 6 weeks because I just didn't have the time to go to the gym while preparing for a move.  Jumped back into it last week and my chest and shoulders are still super pissed at me.  Sucks that I'm such a small framed dude, so I'll never really be able to life a whole bunch.  Guess I won't be lifting up the tail-ends of VW Bugs in the near future. 

Stopped lifting for about 6 weeks because I just didn't have the time to go to the gym while preparing for a move. Jumped back into it last week and my chest and shoulders are still super pissed at me. Sucks that I'm such a small framed dude, so I'll never really be able to life a whole bunch. Guess I won't be lifting up the tail-ends of VW Bugs in the near future.

I haven't really gone lately either, I've been working so much damn overtime that when I'm not at work I'm sleeping. I need to get my ass back into it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

2014 was a bad year for me. Got wrapped up in work and ate way too many cafeteria french fries. Back injury really limited what I can do. Continued to lift throughout but lost my focus.

I've been kicking ass since Thanksgiving. Dropped 15 unnecessary pounds (coming in at 195 -- 10 more and I'll be ripped). Able to squat 250 again. I don't think I will ever try for more than 300. Not worth the risk of re-injury. Squat always been my worst lift and at 28, 300 is more than enough at this point in my life. Taking it slow but want to get there this year.

Key changes:

I eat a salad ALMOST every day for lunch at work. I make my own dressing (so easy -- 3 parts olive oil, 1 part vinegar, then throw in a bunch of spices, some mustard, whatever to mix it up. Not sure why I would ever bought dressing). Add half a chicken breast and some walnuts or cashews. Occasionally (once or twice a month) I let myself eat the cafeteria food but not often. Took my worst meal and made it my healthiest.

Inversion table helps a ton to keep my back from compressing. Occasionally I'll feel stiff and I just hang upside down for 5 minutes. I never got an MRI or anything. I think the disc has mostly receded but I'm not sure my back will ever be 100% like new again. Not sure how that works exactly (or if different for everyone).

Cut drinking in half.

Feeling really good...

I just bought a weight bench and some weights.  It'll take me a few weeks to get the room set and ready to set it all up but I'm pretty excited about having a weight bench at home.  I'm built like a pencil so I'm not going to be looking to get jacked, just toned up a bit.  Really looking to try and turn 20 lbs of fat into 10 lbs of muscle.

I'm 5 ft 10 in and am pushing 172 lbs.  For my body type I should probably be closer to 155 to 160 lbs.

I just bought a weight bench and some weights.  It'll take me a few weeks to get the room set and ready to set it all up but I'm pretty excited about having a weight bench at home.  I'm built like a pencil so I'm not going to be looking to get jacked, just toned up a bit.  Really looking to try and turn 20 lbs of fat into 10 lbs of muscle.

I'm 5 ft 10 in and am pushing 172 lbs.  For my body type I should probably be closer to 155 to 160 lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422831435&sr=8-1&keywords=starting+strength

Can be found online if you prefer. Fairly quick read. Worthwhile to spend a few hours understanding form and theory instead of just pumping, especially since you have some home remodeling to do first.

Good luck. Easiest gains are right when you start so don't give up.

Started back at the gym on the 5th of Jan after a 5 year lay off (Kids took priority). Kicked the beer on the head (Only been drinking water since) and any processed crap and cut right back on the carbs. Also watched both Fat , sick and nearly dead docs for some motivation and have added juice to my every day diet. What a difference in general well being from the changes, no more lethargy, indigestion and irregular sleep patterns, feel great again (Just turned 40). I pretty much do the 5x5 3 times a week and core work the other days (Sunday off), so far DL - 350, Squat - 275 , Bench - 190 at 180lbs BW.

Also, anyone getting into weights i would start to include some rotator cuff excercises, it will help you so much in the long run to keep your shoulders good - unlike mine

Started back at the gym on the 5th of Jan after a 5 year lay off (Kids took priority). Kicked the beer on the head (Only been drinking water since) and any processed crap and cut right back on the carbs. Also watched both Fat , sick and nearly dead docs for some motivation and have added juice to my every day diet. What a difference in general well being from the changes, no more lethargy, indigestion and irregular sleep patterns, feel great again (Just turned 40). I pretty much do the 5x5 3 times a week and core work the other days (Sunday off), so far DL - 350, Squat - 275 , Bench - 190 at 180lbs BW.

Also, anyone getting into weights i would start to include some rotator cuff excercises, it will help you so much in the long run to keep your shoulders good - unlike mine

Color me impressed. At age 40, it took you less than a month to reach intermediate status on your lifts?

Color me impressed. At age 40, it took you less than a month to reach intermediate status on your lifts?

I trained almost every week from around 20 to 35. A long slow progression which resulted in some decent lifts before i stopped. My deadlift and squat were always better lifts for me and bench was always my weak spot. When i started back on the 5th, i reckoned for DL i would probably hit 225 for 5 reps. Surprisingly it felt pretty easy, so i kept adding weight and ended up around 280lbs, something similar happened with squats Obviously muscle memory and having a decentish diet during my off time, contributed greatly). To put it into context though, following the Armstrong chin up routine i used to manage 20 rep strict chins, so far i'm struggling to reach 5, also my bench sucks and probably will until the latter part of the year. As for being 40, i dunno, i think it depends how old you feel, i think some folk go, i'm getting old, oh woe is me, whereas i reckon, just get on with it and see what happens.

I've been on a hiatus from lifting but have been doing cardio regularly, I'll get back into the weights eventually but anyways I've been having consistent shoulder soreness, like right in the middle and around my neck. I'm wondering if this is a sign that I need a new mattress or need to drink my water but it's been pretty bothersome and didn't really start until after I started using weights a while back. I'm almost wondering if it's the shoes I run in.

I took a long break from weights while i was living in California. I just ran and did bodyweight stuff. I've recently gotten back into weights and ive been using crossfitfootball.com for about a month and a half now with great results. I also really enjoy the variety of the daily work outs as opposed to a routine that can get stale pretty quick.

• 2 months later...

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but I've been using an actual blender for protein shakes lately and it's way better than a blender bottle. The bottle still serves a purpose, I've just changed my opinion that it is all you need.

Been experimenting with making protein "ice cream" as well. Lots of ways to do it but if you take casein protein, sweetened almond milk, a banana, blend, and freeze for about 10 minutes, it's close enough to ice cream and helps avoid getting sick of drinking shakes (while still getting slow digesting protein in your stomach to carry you through the night, when a lot of recovery happens).

Just sharing some thoughts.

ive always been into running and never lifting. but recently joined a gym and have been doing some lifting not looking to get cut at all just wanna see what i can do.

is there any apps to keep track of certain exercises and track reps and weight? 

***found an app on my ipod called "strong" you can create routines and add exercises and track reps and weight. seems simple enough and does what i want.