Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

Damn lebowski, where the hell where you at the beginning of this thread?

Just a quick question since you seem more knowledgeable then I. When it comes to alcohol, is it bad because it slows your muscle growth or because it kills muscle mass? I like my wine man.

Been in it the whole time. It's a wide subject though. Too many topics for a single post.

A big portion of the alcohol discussion comes down to what you expect your natural potential to be. He is a quick article I found through google on the subject:

http://josephagu.com/2012/09/01/what-is-my-natural-muscular-potential-part-2/

The short of it is, people think that Arnold weighed 280 pounds of all muscle when he competed in bodybuilding. It is just not possible. He weighed 235 at 6 foot 2. But at 6% body fat that is huge. That is why diet is so important. My goal is 6 foot, 190 pounds, 10% body fat. That is ripped (abs, veins in your arms, etc) but realistic. Right now I am probably 205 with 15% body fat.

So does alcohol eviscerate muscle? No. It is a lot of empty calories usually taken in a short period of time with little nutritional value. Gonna increase that body fat % if not used sparingly. If you like wine, the fruitier the wine, the worse it is going to be for you.

Also you will notice that a lot of the supplements have stimulants in them (preworkouts, thermogenics). They are designed to give you energy to workout and to help you burn calories. Alcohol is a depressant, so it is going to slow your metabolism down. They just don't go together naturally. And mixing stimulants and depressants is a bad idea usually (see the banning of drinks like Four Loko), if you take any of the more advanced supplements.

I'm 6 feet, 190 and I wouldn't say I'm ripped. I guess it all depends on body type though.

I wouldn't say "body type", I would say "body fat %". Very reasonable that someone who doesn't work out and has a "normal" physique to have lean mass of 150 lbs and body fat over 20%. It's not an easy thing to estimate but kinda ballpark:

5-10% body fat: RIPPED

10-15% body fat: Toned

15-20% body fat: Average

20-25% body fat: flab

25%+: fat

I know what you mean. I do workout regularly but I don't watch my diet at all. I eat whatever I want and drink beer quite often. I need to find a place to measure my body fat percentage because I'd like to know where I'm at.

Plenty of places on the web where you can post a picture of yourself from neck to waist and have people who know what they are doing take a guess. Probably right to a couple percent.

I think a real scientific method involves submerging you in water and measuring your buoyancy. Not 100% on that, though.

Would Muscle Milk Light be a suitable option for someone with a veg/fish diet or should I get the full calorie stuff?

You can get protein powders at the grocery, so buy your first tub there. Take your time and read the label to make sure there is nothing you don't want in you. Google it on the phone if something worries you. Buy a small tub to start and maybe switch brands/flavors a few times to get a sample. Then buy your favorite in bulk to keep the price down (if you continue with the plan for some time).

Whey and Casein are both derived from Milk. They are the two most popular and what Muscle Milk and 90% of other proteins is mostly a blend of (at least the protein part of it. Muscle Milk is really more of a "meal replacement shake with a lot of protein" than pure protein powder. Basically, same thing, though). There are also protein powders that are part/fully created from eggs. Then there is soy protein for the veggies.

Go with the full calorie stuff unless you find some ingredient you don't like. I'm assuming you won't, as long as milk-based protein is fine. Are you worried that a protein powder is going to be created from beef/pork/chicken? Don't. Pretty sure none of them are created from anything with legs. From a weightlifting point of view, milk protein > egg protein > soy protein > protein deficiency. You decide what works with your diet.

I have a 5 pound tub of Muscle Milk that is going to be sitting for a while. Trying to limit myself to 20 grams of carbs a day. If you look at the labels of your food, this is really nothing. One MM shake would pretty much have 20 grams. Gonna go with a pure whey while I do this diet.

Is Mac skinny now?

Anyways, you shouldn't be super worried about calories. Echoing what was said a couple times, your basic needs are a calorie surplus, a lot of protein, and stable exercise program with moderately heavy weights. These three will get you to your goal. There are extreme cases (ie, people who pretty overweight) where they can have a calorie deficit and still put on muscle. Being a smaller dude to start, you NEED a calorie surplus when bulking.

From what you have posted, you should have no problem dropping a little extra weight (you control your diet and like cardio) after a month of bulking. Eat healthy food but don't count calories.

That said, I suggest you buy normal muscle milk and a pure whey powder. Not sure what exactly they do to make it "light" but if you are worried about calories, take a pure whey shake and not Muscle Milk, which contains fat and sugar by design. Take the whey when you feel like you have had a lot of calories during a day but still haven't hit your protein goal. Take the Muscle Milk in place of a meal.

As long as you are hitting a goal of 80+ grams of protein a day, the rest will work itself out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following what you've guys suggested. The only difference thus far is that I'm tired all the fucking time and I have a gut now. I cut down on beer (like 1 a night a couple nights a week if that). Maybe I need to increase the amount of weight I'm using? I dunno. I almost wanna just get back into running again. I'd rather just be skinny than skinny-fat hahaha.

I'm out of advice. If you are putting on weight (even bad weight) you have the calorie surplus. You should be hitting the 80 grams / protein a day number. 5 sets of 5 to 10. You should be tired, not exhausted. And you should feel at least 90% recovered before you lift again (ie, that is why you give it 3 or 4 days usually before hitting a muscle again).

That should be enough to put on some muscle. What has it been, a month? You should feel at least a little stronger.

You could maybe try lifting with someone who works out regularly. Try and copy them. Other than that, I dunno. There are lots of conflicting opinion out there about the minute details (ie sets of 5, sets of 10, etc...) but the general theme is lift fairly heavy weights, eat well (quality and quantity), and rest, and you should see results.

I lift. Right now I'm in a cutting phase. 350 calories every 3 hours: 50g protein, 25g carbs, and 5g fat. I weigh out my food so it's on point. Mostly chicken, eggs, veges, and beans. My metabolism is on fire. I should drop at least 3 pounds a week doing this it's a 3500 cal. deficit.

There are tons of ways to lose weight -- it all boils down to what allows you to get a calorie deficit. You can eat a bunch and do a lot of cardio, you can really hammer the veggies, you can focus on eating lean proteins, thermogenics help, etc.

I'm loving the keto diet (essentially same thing as Atkins). The idea is that you get your body's metabolism running on fat, rather than on sugar and carbs. 60% of calories from fat, 35% from protein, 5% from carbs. I eat cheese, nuts, meat, and dark green veggies. I feel strong and am losing weight. Can fry food in flax meal, use ranch dressing, etc. I need to get better at carefully managing the calories like you. Right now I just eat when I'm hungry.

Diets are awesome but since I got my new job as a bouncer I've been on eat whatever I want as long as I don't break my 36inch waist line lol

Pizza and protein, but a lot of this has to do with the fact I work Friday and Saturday and stopped drinking for the most part.

Bust any faces yet?

Don't waste your money on Muscle Milk, I'm a big fan of Optimum Nutrition (soy for me). Also, the only time for protein shakes is post workout, maybe before if you need some quick calories. Otherwise, eat real food it's cheaper and more efficient/productive/healthier. I'm a huge fan of lean gains/intermentent fasting. I eat well, drink moderately, and have maintained 15% with no calorie counting or eating mini meals. I run a lot, long distance stuff so it doesn't really help cut, I have to eat less to do that. Keep shit simple so you can stick with it, that's how you will get results.