Does Anyone Here Lift Weights?

Creatine is a special kind of sugar utilized by the body for anaerobic work (ie, quick, heavy lifts when your body doesn't have time to use it's normal sugar supplies).

Woah there, where did you hear creatine was a "special sugar"? Creatine is an amino acid that is found in food sources such as red meat, is a vital amino produced naturally in our muscles, and recreated synthetically as a supplement.

Woah there, where did you hear creatine was a "special sugar"? Creatine is an amino acid that is found in food sources such as red meat, is a vital amino produced naturally in our muscles, and recreated synthetically as a supplement.

Yeah, this was just sloppy writing. Trying to keep things simple and away from biochemistry (which is not my strong suit). Correct, it is an acid that helps with formation of ATP, which provides the body with anaerobic energy. It is also pretty cheap, readily available, effective, and never been proven associated with any negative effects on the body. It's the starting point for supplementation right there with protein supplementation.

Don't waste your money on Muscle Milk, I'm a big fan of Optimum Nutrition (soy for me). Also, the only time for protein shakes is post workout, maybe before if you need some quick calories. Otherwise, eat real food it's cheaper and more efficient/productive/healthier. I'm a huge fan of lean gains/intermentent fasting. I eat well, drink moderately, and have maintained 15% with no calorie counting or eating mini meals. I run a lot, long distance stuff so it doesn't really help cut, I have to eat less to do that. Keep shit simple so you can stick with it, that's how you will get results.

I think a lot of this is opinion.

Why is muscle milk a waste? It's on the expensive side of proteins but it is worth it for something that tastes great IMO.

I wouldn't take soy protein unless I was a vegan. Whey is the best, which is why it is everywhere. I believe whey breaks down into every amino acid needed by your body, while soy does not. Might need research to verify that.

Post-workout protein shake is good for you but not the only time to drink one. I believe some people like casein before bed to keep protein in their system all night (while your body does a lot of repair). Whey is great as a quick breakfast. Cheaper? Depends. $2 of chicken breast might have more protein than $2 of whey but I don't know about that $8 / pound T-bone. Not entirely disagreeing with you. Eating good food is a full 1/2 the battle of being fit. Drinking more than one protein shake can be helpful too, though. Just curious, what is your protein goal per day?

And lastly, great for you for being a great long distance runner. If you goal is "overall health" or "fat loss", it is great. If your goal is to "put on size" (as this thread was initially started for), it is counterproductive and not recommended.

I think a lot of this is opinion.

Why is muscle milk a waste? It's on the expensive side of proteins but it is worth it for something that tastes great IMO.

I wouldn't take soy protein unless I was a vegan. Whey is the best, which is why it is everywhere. I believe whey breaks down into every amino acid needed by your body, while soy does not. Might need research to verify that.

Post-workout protein shake is good for you but not the only time to drink one. I believe some people like casein before bed to keep protein in their system all night (while your body does a lot of repair). Whey is great as a quick breakfast. Cheaper? Depends. $2 of chicken breast might have more protein than $2 of whey but I don't know about that $8 / pound T-bone. Not entirely disagreeing with you. Eating good food is a full 1/2 the battle of being fit. Drinking more than one protein shake can be helpful too, though. Just curious, what is your protein goal per day?

And lastly, great for you for being a great long distance runner. If you goal is "overall health" or "fat loss", it is great. If your goal is to "put on size" (as this thread was initially started for), it is counterproductive and not recommended.

99% of fitness and health discussions are opinion, especially diets. There are a million different tactics that work, finding the one that works for you is the trick. There are a few simple truths and everything else is fluff, but it fluff works for you then great.

MM tastes great because of all the extra stuff, look at the label. And yes, its expensive and is more of a meal replacement than a protein supplement (16g protein/35g serving) so you are better off eating real food. If you want a protein supplement there are much more efficient products out there.

I've been vegan for 10 years, and my protein goal is at least 150g a day. You're right, my running is counterproductive to my weight training as far as building mass, my goals are strength gain and improving running efficiency. If I dropped the cardio I could probably add about 10 pounds of muscle to my frame pretty quickly because my lifting only lacks lower body works compared to most size programs.

Cool man. I like discussing this stuff. Don't take this as arguing. I also like muscle milk (when not on a no-carbs diet). Quick, fast acting protein, tastes good, and not too expensive when I order the 5 pound tubs.

The only part I kinda disagree with in the last one is that our bodies like to grow all at once. You won't see a guy with skinny legs and giant arms or a huge chest but no back strength (to a point, the ratios are different for everyone). Your post kinda seems like you are implying you can get a big upper body without doing things like squats and only cardio on the lower body. You can grow your upper body on a plan like this, but your ceiling on back, arm, chest strength is going to be lower than if you did light/no cardio and lower body strength training. I can post references to back this up if necessary.

Cool man. I like discussing this stuff. Don't take this as arguing. I also like muscle milk (when not on a no-carbs diet). Quick, fast acting protein, tastes good, and not too expensive when I order the 5 pound tubs.

The only part I kinda disagree with in the last one is that our bodies like to grow all at once. You won't see a guy with skinny legs and giant arms or a huge chest but no back strength (to a point, the ratios are different for everyone). Your post kinda seems like you are implying you can get a big upper body without doing things like squats and only cardio on the lower body. You can grow your upper body on a plan like this, but your ceiling on back, arm, chest strength is going to be lower than if you did light/no cardio and lower body strength training. I can post references to back this up if necessary.

Not taken that way at all, I like discussing it as well and know my own comments can get heavily opinionated.

I meant more so in what you said that my running limits my size gain. I stay pretty light on squats/deads/lunges to save my legs for running, otherwise that would beat them up too much. If I were to stop with the running and put more effort into lower body work than that would add size over all for sure both from less cardio and heavier leg work. I totally agree with not incorporating lower body work limiting overall fitness.

Anyone want two tubs of BodyLogix preworkout shipped to their door for $30? Bought it on clearance and am not a fan. It's 2 for the price of 1.

http://www.bodylogix...re-workout.html

Not going to keep bumping this forever but trying one more time.

Rambo, you give up or gonna keep at it? Just wondering.

I'll give this thread a go, if anyone wants to take me under their wing and share some knowledge. I just finished reading every post in this thread, but I'd still like a little insight.

Recently turned 24; I'm 6'00", and built like a twig. That's how I've been my entire life. It wasn't so much a problem in my youth... but getting older, I'm beginning to become self-conscious of how thin my arms are. I am quite literally underweight. I've written it off as high metabolism -- I'm able to eat whatever I'd like, in whatever amounts I choose, and gain zero weight from it. It's a double-edged sword. Over the past few months, I've been cutting back [hard] on junk food. I indulge in sweets every now and then, and opt to drink only tea, water, and milk. It's a step in the right direction, and I can feel it.

For a month or two I was halfheartedly working out. I would do push-ups, curl ups, and some work with a resistance band... but it would only be on a daily basis. I also tried out Muscle Milk, but I had no real direction or knowledge -- I would drink them about 30 minutes before working out, every other day. The girlfriend and friends, at the time, said that they could see a visible difference (and inquire if I was working out), but I really didn't feel any progress. The lines of my stomach became a little more defined - though hardly reached the status of chiseled abs - and my arms flexed larger than they could before, whenever I'd stretch or inspect them. But that was it.

My biggest issue, at the moment, is a sporadic schedule. It's tough to find time to set a specific workout schedule or routine. But I suppose that you don't really find time so much as you make it.

As others have stated at the start of the thread, I'm not interested in "hulking out". I'm stupid-thin, and would just like to put on a bit more mass on my arms and upper body. Having arms with some definition would be swell. I've stopped any routine I've had going for the last two months or so, and I feel like I want to get back into it. But with a little more direction and ambition, this time around. My diet is fair; three meals a day on average, with snacks in between. Not too much sugar or fat intake. I'd like to try out a longer dedication to Muscle Milk, or even a protein supplement. Just to test the waters.

The only exercise I receive is the constant walking and lifting (of nothing too heavy) at work. I also bike roughly six miles a day. But that's the extent of it.

Feel free to suggest advice, but what I'm looking at right now is...

• Eating a lot more protein. In the form of eggs, primarily. But also salmon and rice.

• Subbing out any "on-the-go" (or lackluster) meals with Muscle Milk.

• Drinking far more water.

• Investing in a protein mix. Finding a means of downing it once or twice a day.

• Starting a routine. This is where I probably need the best advice to begin with. It seems like everyone's suggesting working different parts of the body on different days. So I'm considering Day 1 to consist of push-ups? Something like three sets of X in the morning and at night, where X is the number necessary for exhaustion. (I imagine this number will be relatively low to begin with, but would ideally increase over time.) Day 2 would be curl-ups / crunches and leg presses, maybe? - I was digging the definition my torso and stomach were developing, while it lasted. I'd like to keep that going. For Day 3 I was considering perhaps dedicating a workout to the resistance band, or even running. I could also get a hold of some weights for one-arm curls, if that'd help out. I just don't know whether to make that a part of Day 1 or the [miscellaneous] Day 3. The fourth day would be used to rest.

• Should I be taking the protein supplement or Muscle Milk on a daily basis, regardless of whether I'm working out? What's a fair number of servings to shoot for? Two? Three?

• Anyone have any tips or recipes to make protein powders go down easier? Someone mentioned mixing it with Gatorade. I've heard that blending it with ice and orange juice can result in something that resembles an Orange Julius, depending on what supplement is purchased.

• Should those be taken post-workout? Or does it not really matter?

• I'm assuming it's a good idea to wait 20 or 30 minutes after eating to work out, yes? Or is that irrelevant?

Sorry for all the questions, guys. I'm just at a point where I need to stop thinking or saying I'll do something, and finally make it happen. I have no doubt that I'd feel better, physically, which is also a huge plus. I'm trying to curb a lot of the lethargy and tiredness I've been stuck with as of late. And if physically filling out a bit manages to happen in the process, that's just gravy.

Any advice or insight is truly appreciated. I'll be checking this thread routinely.

Cheers.

Man that's a lot of info. If I miss something, ask again.

If your natural metabolism is to burn 5000 calories a day then you just have to eat 6000. You want a calorie surplus (but not a huge one).

Before you decide on a workout program, what are you limited for by equipment? You don't need a $2k gym or a $30/month gym membership but the first thing you might want to get is one of those dumbell sets where you can add/take off weight.

95% of the battle with protein is getting enough. You want to have at least .5 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. Whether it comes from shakes, nuts, animal products isn't really THAT important. Whatever gets the protein in you. However, if you are going to take a shake pre or post workout, take it post. I would also recommend creatine and a multivitamin. There is no reason not to. No need to wait after a workout to eat.

Get this to help with taking the powders. I don't really like the taste of most of them either. This really works 10 times better than a spoon at getting them dissolved. My advice after that is not to add a ton of water. Just chug it quick and get it over with. Mixing it with other stuff and trying to take it like a normal drink just drags it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Sundesa-BB28-SC08-28-Ounce-BlenderBottle-BlenderBall/dp/B001KADGMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348665165&sr=8-1&keywords=blender+ball

What kind of rice are you eating that is packed with protein? Or are you just saying you think rice is healthy.

And your workout plan has flaws in it. You are missing entire muscle groups (shoulders, triceps, some legs, and back). Tell us what you have to work with (ie equipment and spending money to procure more) and we can suggest something better. Trust me, you are going to get better results with even a light intensity full-body workout than if you do a thousand push ups and sit ups a week.

Thanks a ton for reading and elaborating, lebowski. You are a fountain of knowledge.

The calorie logic makes sense. Should I be eating larger meals when I can? I'm never one to gorge myself at the table. When I wrap up dinner, I'm usually at a point where I think to myself "That was good. And I could technically eat a little more if I really wanted to... but I'll just snack later if I get hungry." That is to say, I never stuff myself to the point where I'm miserable. But I typically have room for another side of pasta / bread / rice / salad / whatever. I may have to start going back for seconds more routinely.

I'm pretty limited with both equipment and budget. I can afford to spring for some supplements, but I don't know if I can invest in a dumbell set quite yet. Fortunately, I believe there's a pair in the garage if I can dig them out. They probably aren't the shiniest pair, but I imagine they'll get the job done all the same.

Weight x .5 = protein intake for the day? I haven't weighed myself in a while, but I imagine I'm looking at 65 - 70 grams. Seems pretty doable, I think. I'll research some Creatine and price multivitamins before I begin.

I actually used to work with a guy who - I'm pretty sure - used that exact same Blender Bottle. He was nothing short of a health nut, and had the figure to show for it. But I digress. Point at hand; thank you for the link. Those little recommendations and links are exactly what I was hoping for. It's not that I'm too lazy to do my own research, but if there's a product, supplement, or other bit of advice that someone (who knows their stuff) is willing to share, I'm gladly all ears.

I was reading that brown rice was a solid choice? I know that it doesn't pack protein, but I've heard that it's a suitable food when working out or trying to get in shape. I think I only threw it in there because I have it almost exclusively with salmon.

And finally, the workout. I know it's definitely flawed, and truth be told, I probably haven't even worked on my shoulders or back before. I really don't have much to work with: a resistance band and some dumbells - assuming I can find them - is about the extent of the equipment. Financially, I can't afford to invest in anything serious right now. But it's a possibility somewhere down the line. At this point I'd probably have to keep a monthly budget of $80 - $100, and I imagine buying the appropriate supplements / Creatine / vitamins won't be cheap, up front.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

No prob man. In this thread by choice.

I don't know really about the first question. I am in the camp of dude who got flabby in college and has been working my way back to fit. Never been someone who could just eat anything and not gain weight. Always been a bigger guy as an adult (190 at my best, 220 at my worst, 6 foot tall). Something like this might help. I have never tried a "mass gainer" but it's a product designed for someone like you. Might be better than whey isolate or muscle milk. I bet it tastes much better too. In general, you want to space your calories throughout the day but most people are trying to lose weight, not put it on.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=mass gainer

Salmon is great weight lifting food. Brown rice is healthy energy too. Complex carbs will give you energy to work out. I like a zero carb diet but that's a whole nother story. No one diet right for everyone. Short of it, yeah, brown rice is great for you. Eat away. Everything green is great. Think twice about eating anything white (insert gay joke here).

A proper workout routine is much higher on the priority list than creatine. A multivitamin costs about $3 / month so it's worth it. You might try something like this (I probably wouldn't have weights shipped to me. I'd run to a sports store. Just pointing out the product). You will get a lot of bang for your buck.

http://www.amazon.co...table dumbbells

Other options would be to lowball someone on craigslist who bought a home gym and used it 3 times, find a cheap gym membership, or to utilize a friend's gym (they might welcome the company). If you absolutely have to do it with no capital investment, look around on google for a full body workout that can be done using only body weight. Something like Insanity or P90x might be the way to go. Those are a mix of strength training/cardio so there are better routines for just putting on size, but they will definitely make you fit instead of skinny.

I'm gonna hop into this thread soon but my post will be huge. One thing you need to know before I start is everyone will give you different advice as to what works for them, you need to figure out what works best for you. I recently started training with a buddy who is similar to the poster above this about 6 foot and twig thin. The best thing I've found for him is to eat, you can't grow if you don't eat! I started him on a pretty heavy regiment of mass gainers and protein shakes. Cut him back on his cardio and focused him on lifting heavier weights to failure. 6-8 reps x's 2-3 sets focusing on opposing muscles i.e. bi's and tri's one day, chest and back the next and so on. I'll post his meal plan and regiment soon. He's seeing fast results. I went to school for Physical Education/Sport medicine, so I'd like to think I know my shit. Pull-ups/dips and squats are a huge part of his lifting regiment. I put him on a low dose of creatine and nothing else as far as supplements go. Hang tight and I'll post in the next day or two with more info.

Usually the argument with creatine is not dosing level but whether it is necessary to go through a loading/unloading phase. I am in the camp that 3-5 grams per day taken post workout, no loading, is the way to go.

You really can't "overdose" on it. After a certain point it just passes through your system and you wasted some money. I've heard that a lot of what you take in a multivitamin is unnecessary and just peed out. I'd rather spend the 15 cents per pill and pee out what I don't need than be deficient in something.

@ thebiglebowski: so I reviewed your post, and I think I may spring for that Mass Gainer. I know that I can handle Muscle Milk with no problem, and I'll rely on that as a backup plan. But I'd really like to go with the ideal product, and what you've linked seems like it is indeed fit for someone in my shoes. That and your suggested Blender Ball are in the cart.

I'm going to take your advice and invest in a dumbbell "kit", too. But I'll be pricing them out beforehand. If they're within the price range that you've linked on Amazon, I can easily swing that. Ponying up the cash myself will give me extra incentive to keep at it and ensure I get appropriate bang for my buck, too.

@ thomasj182: I'd totally appreciate a lookover on your friend's regiment / diet / specifics, whenever you get around to it. I know it's a pathetic excuse, but I've been swamped with hours at work [all graveyard shifts, no less]. My body is completely out of whack and normalcy, as far as sleep and energy go. I'd like to accumulate everything I'll need over the next two weeks, and really commit myself when I switch back to a normal shift / lifestyle, at that point. In the meantime I'm just trying to "warm up" to workouts, I suppose, as to not completely shock myself with a demanding routine.

Yo Big, I've been getting a sharp pain in my left bicep when lifting. Would lowering the weight help? I don't want to stop if I don't have to.

If you keep pumping heavier and heavier to fast you will have pains in your arms...

A ) they need to recover (could be that you are stressing the group to hard)

B ) Bone-splints

Unrelated: Pretty stoked that through my job I get discounts on a private gym and also VIP for MMA classes. So I think I'm going to pack on 30lbs for work in mass, then cut weight for when I start in Jan.

Also I will be working stage for Motion City (hell yea) and Sleigh Bells ( which is still kewl)

Yo Big, I've been getting a sharp pain in my left bicep when lifting. Would lowering the weight help? I don't want to stop if I don't have to.

If it was me, I would stop lifting with that muscle (focus on other ones) for a couple days at least, test it with lighter weights, and then ease back into it. I don't really know though. I'm hesitant to give advice on how to handle an injury.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a good week at the gym and hit a few personal records.

Bench 325 x 1

Squat 345 x 1

I know my squat is weak but I neglected legs forever so I was super happy about this.

Squats are always for weak, when I was powerlifting I couldn't reach behind my back to grip the bar lol

Right now I got a sprained left wrist and a sunken right knuckle, I'm in rough shape lol

• 1 month later...

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353643982&sr=8-1&keywords=starting+strength

Book is pretty much making me realize that I didn't know what I am doing when I lifted weights.

For example, I knew you need to do squats but my feet were positioned wrong, I wasn't dropping down far enough, etc. Describes everything you can do wrong and how to fix it (I couldn't keep my feet flat and kept shifting forward on my feet. Knees were too far forward). Tons of helpful pics. Still have a ton to read, but highly recommend it. It's not like hiring a trainer -- it is a manual on how to become a trainer.

Also, I've tried a few weightloss supplements and ephedrine + caffeine just blows them all out of the water. I can eat a chicken breast and some broccoli spaced throughout the day and don't even feel a little bit hungry. Was 200 at my birthday (Nov. 5th), down to 192 now, shooting for under 185 by New Years.