ATLANTA PEOPLE: Help me out

I've seen a million "what to do in chicago threads" and have been happy to help, but i'd like a bit of quick help myself.

I'm planning on visiting your city in a few weeks. I'll land on thursday sept 20, and will be leaving saturday sept 22 in the morning. so i have two days and two nights. I'm coming for the twothirtyeight show at the masquerade. i usually book hotels in new cities through hotwire or priceline. just pick 4 stars and let them choose. i just wanna make sure i book in the same area. it'd be nice to be able to stumble drunk back to the hotel, but i'm not counting on it. there isn't many choices in the midtown area, but there are some nice ones in downtown. it'd also be cool to stay in a good area with some nightlife. though we'll be renting a car to get around, most likely.

then any food, record store, bars, breweries suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. i just gotta solve the hotel problem first.

if you want a little bit of an odd ball place to stay, try the highland inn, it's like a mile or two away from the masqurade and about a mile or two from little five points. the highland inn is an old hotel, small ish rooms, it's an odd old hotel.

skip the vortex and go to the EARL in East Atlanta, they have a better burger. Eat a chicken burrito from El burro pollo on Saturday, it's right next to the highland inn.

I'll look around Nic. The Vortex is really great and Little Five Points is my favorite part of the city. Staying downtown probably isn't the best idea unless its cheaper or the same price. Nothing is close enough to the Masq to walk really so you'll end up driving.

Stay in touch with me on here or on Facebook and let's see what's up. Ill be there.

stay here:

http://www.thehighlandinn.com/

its pretty reasonable and right in the middle of the virginia highlands...tons of restaurants, bars, shopping...etc

you can walk to the masquerade(about a mile walk..its really not bad), criminal records and little five points. I've stayed here for numerous shows at the earl and the masquerade. the only thing is i'm not sure what the public transportation is like to get there from the airport.

it's not super fancy but it's clean the the folks who work there are friendly and the neighborhood is unbeatable

also if you're into beer, the porter in little five is a must as well

if you want a little bit of an odd ball place to stay, try the highland inn, it's like a mile or two away from the masqurade and about a mile or two from little five points. the highland inn is an old hotel, small ish rooms, it's an odd old hotel.

skip the vortex and go to the EARL in East Atlanta, they have a better burger. Eat a chicken burrito from El burro pollo on Saturday, it's right next to the highland inn.

haha, just saw this. i def reccomend this. it's exactly a mile to the masquerade and probably a half a mile walk to little five

also if you do get a rental car they have free parking....gonna cost at least $15 a day downtown.

and one more place i love around there...victory sandwich bar in inmnan park.

great late nite spot, cheap drinks and great food.

the trains in Atlanta aren't going to be much help unfortionatly. If you wanted to get a hotel in downtown, the train could get you to from the airport to downtown but not much else. so if you skip a car the train wont get you anywhere fun.

highland inn is probably the closest hotel to the masquade and like the other dude said, it has free parking so that's a plus.

also not to put a damper on your show, but it's in purgatory inside Masquerade. that place is the worst of the three indoor rooms. the stage is like a foot off the ground and the room is set up weirdly.

Good idea on highland inn. It's definitely the closest place to the masq. El Myr for dinner and Clermont post show. The Masq is technically old 4th ward, but there's really not any hotels near it. There's not really a lot to do in the downtown area. Midtown/buckhead is more ritzy type bars/clubs. I'd stick to Little 5 and EAV and old 4th ward and maybe Virginia highlands - especially if you stay at the highland inn because its walking distance.

hell is the best. so many places to stand and see a good show. heaven is a theatre sized show, hell is a club sized show, purgatory is like open mic night.

Purgatory got redone a few months ago. It's a lot nicer now. It's more open - the bar is on the side of the room and the stage isn't in the corner anymore

Ria's Bluebird (another poster recommended it) has really great pancakes.

Be sure to check out Piedmont Park.

Criminal Records is pretty good for new records but they have usually have very few used records (unless they've recently bought a collection). You can sometimes find good things digging around at Wax 'n Facts.

Go to Antico for neapolitan style pizza. It's near the Georgia Tech campus.

This will be difficult since it sounds like you won't have access to a car, but Buford Highway has some of the best oriental food on the east coast.