New VC Feature: Collection Manager (Trade List) - COMING SOON!

admin

Definitely agree with the above post.

Also, can we limit to 100 items or so per page? Having everything scrolled on one page makes it difficult to browse.

Also, how about we click on a release and it shows us who else has it? Or a database that introduces other users who have similar collections?

Also, can we limit to 100 items or so per page? Having everything scrolled on one page makes it difficult to browse.

Also, how about we click on a release and it shows us who else has it? Or a database that introduces other users who have similar collections?

i dig that similar collection database idea. yo we should start a message board :P

Things like this will come in the near future. We first have to get the core system perfect before we add all the good stuff!

Keep the idea's coming. They are appreciated!

don't know if this has been mentioned already, but i'd suggest putting the LPs and 2xLPs in the same group and just have them differentiate in the description. it's annoying to not have them together

We might just give people the option to turn off the category sorting if they want. If you do not set the correct format for each album (LP, 2XLP, 7", 10", ETC) it will not help build a solid accurate list when searching.

For some reason I thought that feature would've been the whole ideal. You put your wants up and it matches you with a person selling or trading. I was looking for that feature when making my list.

This would be a powerful tool that would bring a lot of new traffic to the site.

It really requires very strict standardization of the tradeslists (even more so than what I saw). Just played around with it for the first time and I saw different entries for Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim on "clear" and "Clear". Plus you don't want some people calling "orange" "gold" and stuff. Good luck doing anything with Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose.

Ever single option needs to be standardized (ie, chosen from a dropdown or for something like band name, you type the first 4 letters and then the full name shows up). Not sure how this info is being obtained right now. But if you can balance having rigid standardization but still having the ability to easily grow the database as new records come out and old records are entered for the first time, you have essentially made the text/spreadsheet based tradeslist systems obsolete.

This would be a powerful tool that would bring a lot of new traffic to the site.

It really requires very strict standardization of the tradeslists (even more so than what I saw). Just played around with it for the first time and I saw different entries for Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim on "clear" and "Clear". Plus you don't want some people calling "orange" "gold" and stuff. Good luck doing anything with Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose.

Ever single option needs to be standardized (ie, chosen from a dropdown or for something like band name, you type the first 4 letters and then the full name shows up). Not sure how this info is being obtained right now. But if you can balance having rigid standardization but still having the ability to easily grow the database as new records come out and old records are entered for the first time, you have essentially made the text/spreadsheet based tradeslist systems obsolete.

I was trying to figure out a way to put that into words. Thank you

This will al be fixed in a week or two. No drop downs as there is no way to have every variant on earth but no doubles or duplicates. That was what we are working on stopping and fixing since this launched.

All the good stuff is being planned as we speak! It's going to kill it!

So I found something.

When looking at a trade/for sale list on an iPad, there is no way to scroll over the green for sale icon to see the price.

Not a huge deal but I like browsing this site on my iPad.

That is interesting. I have no idea if this can be fixed as its probably not something the ipad browser can handle...and i wish i had an ipad to test with but i do not. Maybe someone with some coding background can fix. PM me?

I never thought about using this with an ipad but that could be quite fun and helpful when adding your collection. I would love to make an iphone app that you just scan a barcode and it adds it to your collection. Better yet maybe just scan the cover and it finds it and adds it to your collection. Maybe we need a kickstarter for some dev money =) Kidding.

I finished my list today. The one big complaint I have is in the organization. I entered all the formats correctly to keep the database accurate, but it is really annoying that the LPs and 2XLPs are split up and anything entered into the "Other" category (7" Split, Test Press, etc) gets mixed together alphabetically. It would be nice to be able arrange your list how you want, not strictly by the format.

I really like this feature, but it needs some more work.

First, we need to max out the number of records shown per page to 100 or so. It's difficult to browse through 600+ records.

Second, it would be really nice if the lists were searchable for other users. I like how discogs will notify me of items that are for sale in my wantlist.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, can someone look at my list and tell me why my "Split 7" and "Cassettes are spaced out in a few different spots?

I actually noticed this last week when I was building my reference lacquer / Test Pressing list in the ShopRadioCast profile. I think when you select "Other" it is alphabetizing ALL others and putting the header above each time it switches. You can see here; http://boards.vinylcollective.com/index.php?/user/3134-shopradiocast/page__tab__collection

We sent a note to someone to look I think on Thursday to verify this is the issue and fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunatley we are in between help fixing some of these bugs. We are waiting for some people to help but its a slow process. I expect the small changes to happen soon and maybe we will have a huge update of features and such in jan 2013. We have been busy just keeping up with VC in general. Its like a full time gig just keeping up with the day to day. Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

Started loading everything here and learned the quirks and workarounds-- great concept if you can ever get it to work-- and people use it (to match up WANTs with TRADE/SELLs). But the Spyware/attack whatever, locked me outta here for 4 or 5 days, so I just did like everyone else and loaded up at DF. Text entry is easy and editing easy. Search feature stinks (dragnet) unless you have a real unique word like "Antediluvia", then you get a lot less false hits.

• 1 month later...