Streetlight Manifesto - The Hands That Thieve

I've only listened to the re-recording a couple of times. I really still prefer the original recording because its what I grew up listening to. On its own, I love Catch 22's 'Keasby Nights' more than anything SM, just on history and time invested in it.

I use the SMrecording when ranking all their releases. Still amazing, but I prefer the original.

Don't really agree with this...  Here's my opinion KN>EGN>THTT>99>SITB.  We're talking about the original Keasby Nights, not the re-recorded one, right?

Agree but still unsure about the ordering between 99 and SITB.  I was shocked by the lack of love for Keasbey Nights.

As for the difference the Catch 22 version has more of a raw sound to it. I prefer it over the cleaner, Streetlight Version because it is the way I first heard the album and how I expect the songs to sound. There are some subtle differences between some of the songs too. 

To me they are two totally different albums, I can't compare them. But yeah generally speaking the people who listened to Keasbey Nights in high school/ middle school when the album came out tend to like it better than the remake that happened almost ten years later. On the other hand, those that find Catch-22 through their love for Streetlight usually like the Streetlight one more.

Alright, so I've said some pretty heated things on here in regards to the mess involving refunds from the RISC store, but this morning I decided to give calling another try and after the first call not going through (the number doesn't have a voicemail set up so if the line isn't open the call drops), the second call went right through. I'm pretty sure it was Dave who answered, and he very quickly and courteously refunded me. I briefly had the chance to ask what the deal was with the wait, and he just said that he's going as fast as he can. I'm not going to sugarcoat it and take back everything I said because honestly this is still being handled poorly, but Dave restored some faith I had in the fact that these dudes probably do have it rough and are at least trying. I've decided against ordering from Victory and instead just picking this up second hand or from Amazon or something, and to make it up to streetlight I'll just grab a bunch of merch at their show.

For those of you on here still trying to get refunded, call (213) 742 8837 a few times today until the line is free. If you get the chance I didn't, just remind Dave that most of us are still in the dark and if he can get some kind of update out that says they're still working it'll go a long way with the fans. Hope this helps some of you.

finally got my refund tonight. seems like for whatever reason they waited exactly 1 month after releasing the "all vinyl orders will be automatically cancelled and refunded" statement to start issuing refunds. glad this disaster is over with.

did you get any email or anything? or did you just have to check your bank account / credit card statement?

did you get any email or anything? or did you just have to check your bank account / credit card statement?

i got several emails about a refund. 2 were from the risc store; 1 telling me my order was cancelled and refunded and the other was a response back to one of the countless emails i sent them asking about a refund apologizing for taking so long. another email was the paypal notification. but it wasn't out of the blue though.

since they weren't replying to emails and never answered the phone at all last week or this week no matter what time of the day i called i had to resort to essentially spamming the band's facebook page. plus my credit card company bascially told me tough shit when i called them about this situation. i commented on the band's facebook every day this week asking about refunds. it sounds petty and childish but it worked in my case. eventually i got a message on facebook from this guy, Dan, who works for the risc store and manages streetlight's facebook.

he asked me for my order number and a wee bit later i got a refund. the thing that is slightly bullshit with the refunds is that they are apparently only issuing them via paypal, even though i requested it be put back on my credit card since i didn't pay for the order with paypal. they sent the refund as a payment, so paypal took out fees, which leaves you with slightly less than a full refund. it only equates to a dollar and change but it's the principle of the matter. all my comments on streetlight's facebook have since been deleted, which Dan "asked" me permission to do even though he already deleted them before messaging me.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the retributionalsodomy blog post that is somewhere in this thread (its in here right? I'm too lazy to look for it) even putting my love for the band aside, I can't say it looks good for Victory's side of the story after reading through what a bastard Tony and the label is/are. The issue seems to stem from the fact that the industry is changing and the traditional label is a dying breed, as can be seen by this video I can't seem to embed: 

Judging by the retributionalsodomy blog post that is somewhere in this thread (its in here right? I'm too lazy to look for it) even putting my love for the band aside, I can't say it looks good for Victory's side of the story after reading through what a bastard Tony and the label is/are. The issue seems to stem from the fact that the industry is changing and the traditional label is a dying breed, as can be seen by this video I can't seem to embed: 

I read that as well, and while it seems damning, its still one side of the story. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I recieved the 'mega bundle' sans the CDs & Vinyl. I have to say it's rather... Anticlimactic. I got some okay t-shrts and a mediocrely printed 'limited edition' hoodie. I also received a tiny poster that was sloppily rolled so is pretty roughed up. Possibly I'm just jaded but I feel like I didn't get my $50 worth.

• 2 weeks later...