Amoeba Hollywood Getting Smart

the other ameobas have had a punk section for years.

their metal section is kinda weird tho. plenty of metal still in the rock section.

rasputins in san jose actually had a whole 'doom metal' section there last time i went.

it gets kinda hairy when you start splitting hairs between genres...i'm sure it's a lot easier to throw everything in'rock' and you only have to look in once place.

but i don't really mind either way...

Typically, If I have something in mind that I'm lookin for, I usually just ask someone if it's in the system. If it is, but it's not in stock, you can ask them to make a special order.

If I'm just browsing, I just aimlessly walk around until I find something worthwhile.

I can recall buying a bunch of random shit out of the punk section over the years at amoeba, I've just been to all three too much to recall which had what. I remember one time in SF I facepalmed when I found fugazi in rock, cattle decapitation in punk, and between the buried and me in metal (although I guess that's the most appropriate for it). I wonder if they just guess off the band names sometimes...

I'm not into punk, but Amoeba Hollywood does as good of a job as you can separating Metal from Rock, there's always some question marks, like older Metal, they usually put all that stuff (Maiden, Sabbath, Priest) in Rock, but stuff like King Diamond and Mercyful Fate is in Metal. All Prog, even new stuff like Dream Theater is in Rock. If it's Prog Metal or Power Metal (mostly Euro Metal) it's in Metal.

Overall I love going into Amoeba, because if you don't find it in one section there's always a chance it will be in another section, and that circle goes on and on until you leave with 10 things you didn't even want when you came in and forgot about the one thing you came for!