180 Gram vinyl question

mot

I just took out my black vinyl Hopeless pressing of Dillinger Four Versus God and realized it was really thick (I know, TWSS) It weighed 186 Grams. My question is, Is there a difference in a pressing advertised as 180 Gram vinyl or Audiophile 180 gram, and just a record that came off the press extra thick? Like a different plate or something?

Most of the time 180g is just a marketing tool, and "audiophile pressing" is jut a marketing tool. People love to buy (spend more) on an 180g pressing because they believe they're getting a better quality product, but it all boils down to the mastering and pressing process. Sure, a heavier weight (there's also lots of 200g and 220g pressings) has a POTENTIAL to sound better, but it is not the determining factor.

Most of the time 180g is just a marketing tool, and "audiophile pressing" is jut a marketing tool. People love to buy (spend more) on an 180g pressing because they believe they're getting a better quality product, but it all boils down to the mastering and pressing process. Sure, a heavier weight (there's also lots of 200g and 220g pressings) has a POTENTIAL to sound better, but it is not the determining factor.

That's about right. The "audiophile" and "180 gram" thing is becoming a bit of a marketing tool. THough most 180 gram pressingare i my opinion are better from my experience. It jueust seems to have a better, more full/ solid sound. Lighter vinyl can definetely suind pretty good too so it's not a deciding factor.

I would also think that if a band / label were to press something on 180g (More money) they would be putting more effort in the actual mastering / editing.

It also matters who mixes the the recording. Is it "Master from original analog tpape" and by whome. I don't know names of who are good but most 180 gram true repress (Remastered from og tapes) i have are amazing. What mainly comes to mind is the new pressing of pInk Floyd's Wall, Wish you Were HEre, and Dark Side of the moon. The reveiws are off the chart on those things.

I bought Wish You Were Here for 28$ at Hot Topic cause i was itchin for a vinyl fix. When spun theat haevy peice of wax it blew my mind the clarity, "soundstage" as they call, and the surface is so freekin quite. I quickly understood why it cost my near 30$ (Also included some super heavy stock sleaves, poster, postcrd, download car). I then did some research on why it was so damn good. I found the reviews saying "Re mastered from original analog tapes" "Dead silent surface noise" "high quality german vinyl" which was pressed at the EMI plant i beleive. So that summed it up.

I Then bought The Wall (Frikin expesive) and am not disapointed at all. Worth every penny if you're gonna keep this in excellent shape and blow your friends (The ones that aren;t too cool for Floy) and parents (My dad couldn.t beleive he was hearing such goodness< he sad "Man, this just sounds so damn good") and i have gotten many compliments on my setup (Which i return to say "it's really the vinyl" even though i got a pretty good setup. polk monitor 70s (100 watt's per channel and fake bi-amped out of my Onkyo receiver, and Klipsch RW 12".)

I am waiting for Hot Topic Cash to get Dark Side (I have the 25th anniversy edistion and can only imagine the difference, based on Wall and Shine). To get it at a steal.

Also, i wam pretty dissapointed on my flimsy Tomahawk vinyl where it probably is aroun 100 grams and the holes had to by cdug out with my knifr to fit the record player. And the bass less songs on their newest alsbumb. The CD makes my system go BOOM but the vinyl falls flat. Very disspointed. BS. Maybe mike patton is so in the digital age there's no point in trying to put his stuff on vinyl, hence why you don't see much. (Totally fine with that)

Also, neil youg does some insane quality, and pricey, represses. Then new Sixto Repress is pretty darn good too, especially for 18.99 from my local record store.

There seems to be the just put it on vinyl and color some copies and the kids will buy it crowd, and then the i want it mastered for vinyl and good quality crowd. I used to be obsessed with collecting and colors and what not but since i've got a good table and system i would much rather have my 180g black copy. I've been selling colored copies of NOFX for hundred, turn around and buy it baclk on black plus a few more records. I love it!

Well sorry for rambling. And no spell check

I

^ A generalization, but not true across the board. At least for our label it is not a marketing tool, simply a different weight option from manufacturers that we occasionally offer (always at a band's request), and it is a costly one to produce.

As to how precise manufacturers are when it comes to the weight of their vinyl? That is all over the spectrum.

As a label, we've have standard releases come in both heavy and light in weight.

180 Gram orders for us have always been fairly consistent in being 180 grams or close to it.

For most manufacturers at this time, vinyl is still an manual process, therefore the human factor will always change things.

Thanks.

-J.

Yup, I work for a mastering studio & that's pretty much the long & short of it. Thicker vinyl doesn't always mean "better sound," although done correctly with a good re master from tape & a good vinyl engineer and it has the potential to sound better & for longer.

My uncle was Kiss's main engineer back in the day and he doesn't understand why ppl still listen to vinyl. To him CDs were a saving grace. He insists that after you listen to a record ONCE it starts to lose its top end. I'm sure that was more prevalent then (the 70's) but the fact remains, if you have a favorite album on skimpy vinyl the sound quality WILL degrade & quicker than if it was 180g.

All that said, my copy of Black Keys - Magic Potion feels like its 5 lbs whenever I pick it up. I'm pretty sure the exact weight is not always consistent.

A 180g pressing won't necessarily sound better than a lighter weight, unless it was specifically mastered/pressed for 180g. Just because it's on a thicker slab of wax doesn't mean the grooves are cut any thicker. And just because it's light doesn't mean it sounds like crap; the recent Foo Fighters remasters sound fantastic and are on standard weight (probably 120g) vinyl.

^ A generalization, but not true across the board. At least for our label it is not a marketing tool, simply a different weight option from manufacturers that we occasionally offer (always at a band's request), and it is a costly one to produce.

As to how precise manufacturers are when it comes to the weight of their vinyl? That is all over the spectrum.

As a label, we've have standard releases come in both heavy and light in weight.

180 Gram orders for us have always been fairly consistent in being 180 grams or close to it.

For most manufacturers at this time, vinyl is still an manual process, therefore the human factor will always change things.

Thanks.

-J.

How much of the recording / mixing / mastering process for the new Converge record was done analog vs. digital? Might also be a question for Kurt, but if you'd care to share any of that information, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Yup, I work for a mastering studio & that's pretty much the long & short of it. Thicker vinyl doesn't always mean "better sound," although done correctly with a good re master from tape & a good vinyl engineer and it has the potential to sound better & for longer.

My uncle was Kiss's main engineer back in the day and he doesn't understand why ppl still listen to vinyl. To him CDs were a saving grace. He insists that after you listen to a record ONCE it starts to lose its top end. I'm sure that was more prevalent then (the 70's) but the fact remains, if you have a favorite album on skimpy vinyl the sound quality WILL degrade & quicker than if it was 180g.

All that said, my copy of Black Keys - Magic Potion feels like its 5 lbs whenever I pick it up. I'm pretty sure the exact weight is not always consistent.

Your uncle is Eddie Kramer?

How much of the recording / mixing / mastering process for the new Converge record was done analog vs. digital? Might also be a question for Kurt, but if you'd care to share any of that information, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

It was a mixture of approaches to get it right, thanks.

-J.

People, 180gm vinyl has NOTHING to do with sound quality. Vinyl weight has NO impact on the sound. 0. NONE. It is purely used to make a thicker, more sturdy record. A thicker record can resist warping better, and that is the ONLY benefit.

I prefer 180g because I like the substance, the weight, the physical product, but it offers no sonic benefit.

People, 180gm vinyl has NOTHING to do with sound quality. Vinyl weight has NO impact on the sound. 0. NONE. It is purely used to make a thicker, more sturdy record. A thicker record can resist warping better, and that is the ONLY benefit.

I prefer 180g because I like the substance, the weight, the physical product, but it offers no sonic benefit.

Can't you make grooves potentially deeper with a 180g record?