ESPN John Clayton Commercial

smithkd24

Maybe it's because I don't care about the NFL, but this guy always seemed ridiculous to me. The guy CLEARLY never played sports in his life. I always laugh at people like this, who live on the sidelines without ever doing it themselves. My next door neighbor growing up could rattle off baseball stats like it was his job, but he couldn't throw a baseball. Not like, he just wasn't good at it, he couldn't throw a ball. How do you "love" a sport but not do it? I'm not saying you need to go pro in it, but give it a shot.

Maybe it's because I don't care about the NFL, but this guy always seemed ridiculous to me. The guy CLEARLY never played sports in his life. I always laugh at people like this, who live on the sidelines without ever doing it themselves. My next door neighbor growing up could rattle off baseball stats like it was his job, but he couldn't throw a baseball. Not like, he just wasn't good at it, he couldn't throw a ball. How do you "love" a sport but not do it? I'm not saying you need to go pro in it, but give it a shot.

The same way a lot of people truly have a love and passion for music and everything related, but cannot pick up a single instrument and play it. I don't doubt their love of music at all.

The same way a lot of people truly have a love and passion for music and everything related, but cannot pick up a single instrument and play it. I don't doubt their love of music at all.

lol. its pretty obvious john clayton never had the physical stature to play football. thats not a knock on him, its just the way it is. who knows, maybe he did play at some level but either way - you can tell he wasn't built to play professionally. if you understand the game, the mechanics, etc. - then youre at least qualified to discuss / analyze the game. in his case, he knows it well enough that he gets paid (probably handsomely) to talk about football.

todd haley - steelers offensive coordinator, former kansas city chiefs head coach never played football. he grew up as a ball boy and played golf (yes, golf) in college. he was also the offensive coordinator for the arizona cardinals when they went to the super bowl a few years ago, and well - we know how many times they've gone to the super bowl. he knows something about the game and didnt have to play either.

there's also a huge difference between knowing every "stat" and knowing how to play the game, which is what most analysts specialize in. also, there are tons of former players who are horrible analysts, especially baseball players. I cringe every time I see Mark Mulder open his mouth on Baseball Tonight.

I acknowledge all of that.

Yesterday I was reading an article in New York Hockey Journal about every kid playing goalie on a young house team. The coach's philosophy is that you can *think* you know what it's like to be a goalie, but until you hop in there for yourself, you don't really, truly get it.

That's what I want. You can armchair quarterback all you want, and you can draw up the best plays in the world, but if you're never out there on the field, you haven't experienced it enough to TRULY get it.

Yes, not every player is a good analyst. I say the same thing about coaching - Gretzky was the best thing to happen to hockey and he was a TERRIBLE coach. The people who see the whole game the best are often the ones who were involved but in a marginal role so they spent time on the bigger picture. I'm not asking for Clayton to have been All-Pro MVP, but in the same way I take nothing from anything Jim Rome says, it's easy to criticize people for something you've never even tried.

Oh well. I know most people disagree with me, it's just a legitimacy thing I can't get over.

Yes, not every player is a good analyst. I say the same thing about coaching - Gretzky was the best thing to happen to hockey and he was a TERRIBLE coach. The people who see the whole game the best are often the ones who were involved but in a marginal role so they spent time on the bigger picture. I'm not asking for Clayton to have been All-Pro MVP, but in the same way I take nothing from anything Jim Rome says, it's easy to criticize people for something you've never even tried.

I think the thing to remember is that john clayton is a reporter, not an analyst, in the sense that you don't see him diagramming plays and things like that, but rather reporting news/facts.

oh, and please avoid any comparisons between john clayton and jim rome... seriously