Tired of splatters and gimmicks.

moonbeams

I always see people saying splatter sounds bad but I've never had a problem with one

There are inherent sound issues when using splatter, because of way the compunds are, but it is what it is. I also have had a lot of issues with Dishing and Warping...

I prefer straight up colours, but some stuff does look great.

Funny, I was just thinking to myself how great it is that most labels have moved away from the Pirates Press splatters and swirls. I always thought they were terrible. But it seems like a lot more stuff is getting pressed domestically on vinyl that sounds and looks better.

Sidenote, some of the splatter experiments Gotta Groove posts on their Facebook are super cool looking.

35588_297382144974_4220796_n.jpg

I have splatter records that sound better than some black records. The mastering method and quality of the vinyl is much more important than splatter or no splatter. Saying black sounds better than splatter is as elitist as the people who say vinyl sounds better than cds and play them on a crosley. very few of us have a set up to allow us to hear the difference. that being said, GZ records often have surface noise issues, splatter or not. just most splatter records come from GZ and most regular records do not.

It's better than most crap TMR tries to pass as records.

how do you figure?

I have splatter records that sound better than some black records. The mastering method and quality of the vinyl is much more important than splatter or no splatter. Saying black sounds better than splatter is as elitist as the people who say vinyl sounds better than cds and play them on a crosley. very few of us have a set up to allow us to hear the difference. that being said, GZ records often have surface noise issues, splatter or not. just most splatter records come from GZ and most regular records do not.

how do you figure?

Well said. I generally like the sound of GZ vinyl. But their splatters are the noisiest of all their records. Plus brown splatter looks like real splatter shit.

I don't really have a preference, they generally sound the same to me and I have a decent Stanton player. There are always going to be audiophiles out there though, that sort of thing always happens. Like how some people swear they can tell the difference between a 320 and FLAC rip.

That being said, I enjoy art so I tend to prefer records with color and styles that fit the album art. But if I pick up a copy of a record I want at a physical retailer I ne'er care if I get black because the main reason I'm buying it is because I enjoy the album and want to support the band/label.

Buying any copy of a record you love should always be the main reason to buy one though. It's the flippers that bother me the most. I don't know that just always seemed scummy to me. To just buy something for the sole purpose to re-sell it when it sells out.

Color vinyl and limited pressings where cool when I was in high school, but now that shit is played out and lame. Just give me a copy of the record and I'm fine. The only thing worse than this are the dinguses who need more to own every variant out there.

I'm really digging the GZ hate aside from what was mentioned above, I always hated that the matrix is not hand-written, their center labels are dull, and the oh so wonderful "sand" you find on their stuff now and again. The Czech Republic rules, but GZ does not.

Color vinyl and limited pressings where cool when I was in high school, but now that shit is played out and lame. Just give me a copy of the record and I'm fine. The only thing worse than this are the dinguses who need more to own every variant out there.

I'm really digging the GZ hate aside from what was mentioned above, I always hated that the matrix is not hand-written, their center labels are dull, and the oh so wonderful "sand" you find on their stuff now and again. The Czech Republic rules, but GZ does not.

I think if it's your favorite record of all time it's cool to own every variant. Not for any other reason than to support a band/release that you love.

And that sand from what I've learned comes into play with haze records. They have to grind the vinyl into dust. The plant even explained this to me before ordering and said that they would need to be dusted the first time to play correctly.

I think if it's your favorite record of all time it's cool to own every variant. Not for any other reason than to support a band/release that you love.

And that sand from what I've learned comes into play with haze records. They have to grind the vinyl into dust. The plant even explained this to me before ordering and said that they would need to be dusted the first time to play correctly.

Yeah, but even then what purpose does it serve besides being able to show off a cool collection photo on the internet? What really irks me is when it is a limited re-press (like Shiner's The Egg) and dudes feel the need to own every copy. Total hobbyist fetishism.

As for the sand, I do recall reading before that it has to deal with the haze effect. It just takes a second to clean, but it is a bummer altogether.