Modern Vinyl's Collector of the Month

jhulud

Those of us who are/were VC OG can remember back to when there used to be a Collector of the Month. It was fun and new back then...then of course things happened and no more.

I've been following Modern Vinyl's version of it and it's amusing. How do you guys feel about it? Ever thought of putting your hat in the ring?

http://modern-vinyl....th-august-2012/

I guess it comes down to quality vs. quantity. But yeah...we all started out collections somewhere and at some point they were small. Not all us can have a gargantuan collection of 1500+ records. That takes years and commtiment and love for the music and bands. It's the real stories attached to any record, that make the collector interesting.

Any schmoe can up and buy an uber-rare pressing of a record off eBay...to me, there's minimal emotional & personal weight to that. It's the record that you got from the one label guy who went out of his way to hook you up with and the eventual friendship off that...or that one record the band gifted you and you traveled with it for hundreds of miles to different towns when your band was on tour. Those are weighty stories and give more meaning to that piece of music and record.

I guess it comes down to quality vs. quantity. But yeah...we all started out collections somewhere and at some point they were small. Not all us can have a gargantuan collection of 1500+ records. That takes years and commtiment and love for the music and bands. It's the real stories attached to any record, that make the collector interesting.

Any schmoe can up and buy an uber-rare pressing of a record off eBay...to me, there's minimal emotional & personal weight to that. It's the record that you got from the one label guy who went out of his way to hook you up with and the eventual friendship off that...or that one record the band gifted you and you traveled with it for hundreds of miles to different towns when your band was on tour. Those are weighty stories and give more meaning to that piece of music and record.

And those are the stories we're looking for. If anybody has any, please send them in. I would love to talk with you!

The latest collector of the month may have few records but the main thing that I thought was lame / laughable was that he said he didn't focus on having a nice turntable / setup - that's more stupid than only having 150 records...

Patrick...I'm not defending the guy b/c I don't know him, but I'd like to know what makes that lame/laughable and stupid. Just curious cuz you know the saying, "Different strokes for different folks"...

oh like when keith morris signed my OFF! 7" when i didn't want him too. and i had to carry it for the whole show thinking "who the fuck does this dude think he is to assume i want his autograph?".

i realize blogs, etc. give everyone a voice and thats cool but i wouldnt even care to listen/read about someone who has 1500 random records let alone 200. its just kind of weird to me because the people that are always featured arent particularly any different than anyone else on these boards.

anyway, a long time ago someone posted a link to a video of someone who had a near, if not, complete revelation discography. i feel like an idiot because the guy in the video was fairly notable but i just cant remember who it was. that was interesting though.

Stuff like this cracks me up:

I don’t concentrate as much on my turntable set up, but right now I’m using the ION Profile LP. Despite some minor quirks I’ve had with it, it’s a pretty good machine.

I definitely notice a sound difference in quality, which again is one of the reasons why I even started collecting vinyl. The first time I played that Phantom on the Horizon record, I noticed how much better it sounded compared to the CD I had.

I'm never interested in reading these things, it's always the same- Brand New, Thrice, etc etc. Mind you, I'm not mocking collections by any means, but it just feels like I'm reading the same article over and over again. I get it, people really like Brand New and Thrice.

anyway, a long time ago someone posted a link to a video of someone who had a near, if not, complete revelation discography. i feel like an idiot because the guy in the video was fairly notable but i just cant remember who it was. that was interesting though.

I think it was a dude name Jeff (I think?) who used to work at Rev...or something like that...

I love records, so I'm interested in reading other people's thoughts on why they collect. If I know someone who is also a nerd than I annoy them because I can only talk about it with them. The guy interviewed is a newer collector and chances are he won't still be collecting records in 10 years. And really, if all your 'white whales' are records that were released in the past ten years, it shows a short sightedness in appreciation of music.

I would think if a site was going to do a feature like this they would at least screen for people with interesting stories and collections.

The least interesting type of "vinyl collector" is the kid who started buying records in recent years and is trying to track down all their favorite cds (usually from the early 2000's) on vinyl.

Woof, this is reallll cringe-worthy. When I read an interview with a record collector, I want to hear from people with walls/rooms full of records, people with huge collections of jazz/funk/northern soul/bootlegs/77-79 punk/Beatles/novelty records/SOMETHING INTERESTING. Not the same Brand New/Blink 182/Four Year Strong combos you can see in anyone's Deadformat tradelist. I get the idea of encouraging interaction with your reading audience, but either these aren't screened finely enough or this blog doesn't attract people with big collections. Someone who still uses an Ion/has never gone to a record store/considers an August Burns Red record a "white whale" because it went out of print 6 months ago is not worth interviewing about their record collection.

While I agree with the posts above about reading the same "Brand New, etc..." collectors, thing is that's also their audience. The guys with the amazing collections of records from the 60's, 70's, and 80's with meaning behind them (and don't take this the wrong way Modern Vinyl guys) probably don't give a shit about vinyl being released these days and don't read Modern Vinyl or this site.

The best thing you can do to avoid it is not read it or submit your story if it's any better.