New/Modern Cassette Tapes Thread

nelso330

OK, I may get my head chewed off here, but I've noticed a lot of new bands putting out cassette tapes...(i.e. Woods, Whirr, Real Estate, Twilight Sad) and I've seen a bunch of people talking about them...so I am assuming there is some interest in these?

Recently, bought a tape deck for $10 (super clean sony) and like 20 tapes for $1-2...not bad....I've also came across some cool releases specific to tapes, they certainly are very rare and limited runs....soooo

Maybe this could be a thread of all things TAPES, where people post links to new releases and such, because it seem a little time consuming to try to track down all the rare stuff out there....and if not the thread will die before it begins....????

There's been a ton of tape threads around here lately, but it's all good. The label I work with - Notes and Bolts - just released our first last month and have four more in various stages at NAC right now. I'm getting a lathe cutter soon and that'll be great for small run vinyl, but I'll still do tapes. Love them!

there should be a sub section! there's one for turntables and stuff (which is obviously vinyl related so it makes sense), but I feel like it would be a nice thing to keep the cassettes separated and make the vinyl section less congested (even though this is a vinyl board, cassettes are awesome!)

there should be a sub section! there's one for turntables and stuff (which is obviously vinyl related so it makes sense), but I feel like it would be a nice thing to keep the cassettes separated and make the vinyl section less congested (even though this is a vinyl board, cassettes are awesome!)

I agree

I'm with you. My tape collection is starting to grow. I like nabbing them because you sometime get em for 3-4 bucks so you can just grab a bunch. An easy way to get into new bands. I also find myself buying a lot of noise releases on tape for some reason. Maybe it's an aesthetic thing, gross noise punk creaking out of a piece of shit tapedeck appeals to me.

Anywho, tapes are alright in my books.

i like releasing tapes now and again - its a fun cheap medium and you can do some creative things with packaging - for a fraction the cost of vinyl

this, i really want to do do diy packaging but have the cassettes made pro, but the the band we just put out wanted the tapes to look old school and professional, so we did.

i love tapes.

Not to poach, but the n&b boards have been dead lately and we have a cassette section. Post there, ya'll!

Please do so folks, the N&B boards are great.

I try and try to keep up over at N&B but I have a hard enough time keeping up with VC. Still looking forward to the 7" I ordered from ya. Will most likely grab the cassette you guys put out soon....I didn't know it was up already.

this, i really want to do do diy packaging but have the cassettes made pro, but the the band we just put out wanted the tapes to look old school and professional, so we did.

i love tapes.

we've done a mix of about everything thus far (all pro duplicated on the CS side)

but:

-screenprinted handcut J-cards/insert / imprint on tape

-hand splattered/double rubberstamped deluxe cardboard boxes, with an 11x17 lyric sheet inside+vinyl sticker imprint on tape

-regular standard laser printed j-card / imprint on tape

-sticker labels with standard laser printed j-card

-offset print covers with hand letterpressed covers

-just offset print covers

working on three new tapes for next month one just a standard j-card/tape the other two I'm still drafting up the cases for them but they are going to be handcut / scored cardboard boxes with a bunch of cool shit.

its fun, I like em

not the best photos but this was my favorite we have ever done - looked awesome - sold for shit (well...made way too many..2nd tape we ever did though. got a bit too ambitious)

tumblr_lql50c51d01r2o1mho7_1280.jpg

tumblr_lql50c51d01r2o1mho8_1280.jpg

tumblr_lql50c51d01r2o1mho9_1280.jpg

Okay guys, question.

I feel like I'm going to be playing my Floral Green cassette pretty frequently.

Am I slowly destroying it every time I play it?

Well, I think as long as your tape deck/walkman is in fine working condition your tape should be safe and sound. Be careful if you're using an old thrifty cassette player. I bought a nice looking one that seemed to play fine for a bit, then it would decide to crap out and the spindles would unsynchronize or something leading to unwound, unhappy tapes. If the reel itself bends or folds during something like that, then yeah it'll damage the quality of the sound.

To get this thread rolling with "new" cassette news...

The Ropes have two new tapes coming up in the next Youth Attack update. (there are some other tapes that will be in that update too, but the Ropes are the only ones I am looking forward to)

For the few people on here who are into experimental/noise music...

Iron Lung records has two Mutant Video tapes in the webstore. Both worth picking up. Also looks like the Iron Lung - Cold Storage collection tape is there too for you PV fans. http://ironlungrecords.bigcartel.com/

The Accidents - "Demo Color" from the latest Ekhein batch is one of the best synth tapes to come out this year. Check out a sample/buy here http://www.ekhein.com/

One of my favorite new labels "Space Slave Editions" will have three new tapes available on 9/26.

Space Slave 6: Matt Northrup / The Aloha Spirit "Split" c40

Space Slave 7: Matamoros "Reflection Duct" / Derek Rogers & R Lee Dockery "Things Are Different Now" c40/c56

Space Slave 8: Thoughts On Air "Softlight FM" c36

I am stoked for all three of those!

I don't mind the cassette format, but if it's a release that is already available on vinyl or cd it seems pointless.

some people like the aesthetics/nostalgia/format for various reasons - I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way about vinyl and cds if stuff is available digitally these days. different strokes for different folks. those who like them buy them, those that don't don't - not much more or less pointless than collecting things on multiple colors of vinyl

To get this thread rolling with "new" cassette news...

The Ropes have two new tapes coming up in the next Youth Attack update. (there are some other tapes that will be in that update too, but the Ropes are the only ones I am looking forward to)

For the few people on here who are into experimental/noise music...

Iron Lung records has two Mutant Video tapes in the webstore. Both worth picking up. Also looks like the Iron Lung - Cold Storage collection tape is there too for you PV fans. http://ironlungrecords.bigcartel.com/

The Accidents - "Demo Color" from the latest Ekhein batch is one of the best synth tapes to come out this year. Check out a sample/buy here http://www.ekhein.com/

One of my favorite new labels "Space Slave Editions" will have three new tapes available on 9/26.

Space Slave 6: Matt Northrup / The Aloha Spirit "Split" c40

Space Slave 7: Matamoros "Reflection Duct" / Derek Rogers & R Lee Dockery "Things Are Different Now" c40/c56

Space Slave 8: Thoughts On Air "Softlight FM" c36

I am stoked for all three of those!

I was on that Iron Lung tape in a flash. I'm camping YA for those Ropes releases!

I just checked the site and saw the PC green 7" was shipping out a while ago. I haven't got mine yet, was there a problem with my order?

Rainbo had some back ups and could only get us a certain amount of both greens and blacks, so we had to give the vast majority of what we got to the band for their cut. Got the rest in late last week and will be shipping out in the next few days. Because of the tardiness, I'll have a surprise in there for you. :) It's funny, it's our first vinyl release and it's been a bit of a learning curve for sure - I'll say this, NEVER AGAIN with pre-orders. That mess is silly! We have three other 45's in various stages of production now and we're really excited. Tons of vinyl and tapes!

In terms of tape labels you guys should check out - try Catholic Tapes, Lillern Tapes, Field Studies Imprint and Teen River. Those are just a small sampling of the gaggles of great cassette labels going here in Chicago!