Black Friday 2012 RSD Releases Updated 10/9

dreamover

From last year's Black Friday, from the Record Store Day site, which also applies this year:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/CustomPage/1225

Also, since these Black Friday pieces are DIFFERENT than Record Store Day pieces as far as what you’re allowed to do with them, we thought we’d pass along some information we’ve gotten from a few of your fellow stores, some ideas and guidelines for how to handle Black Friday product. We know your first priority is your store, and really, your store is pretty much our priority as well. As Record Store Day has grown (and boy has it), we’ve started to realize how negative customer impressions and feedback can impact the reputation of stores as a whole. We hope these ideas below give you a little broader perspective on how what you do at your store can rebound.

*If you sell online as a regular part of your business, then you are free to list Black Friday titles on your online store (again, this does NOT INCLUDE E-BAY or AUCTION SITES). However, because these titles are limited edition, and most customers think of these pieces as available in physical stores, some stores suggest you hold off listing these things on your sites until AFTER 11/25. That way you’ll be sure to make all the folks who actually make the physical trek out to your store as happy as possible. And yes, while it’s a good thing to sell the pieces, whether online or in the store, one of the main focuses of Record Store Day is to bring attention to your physical stores, and your physical customers. We hope you’re thinking about them too, and the impression their trip to your store leaves.

*We don’t encourage pre-orders, mostly because of the limited nature of these releases, and the serious negative customer service issue that comes up if you take a pre-order you can’t fill. However, some stores have told us that pre-orders can be helpful when deciding what to order. So we understand. An idea we’ve heard is to put up a limited number of pre-orders to gauge how quickly those sell through. If there’s a box set and you get three pre-orders pretty quickly, you can feel a little more comfortable with your order and gauge how many you should bring in.

________________________________________________________________________________________

So in a nutshell, the following applies:

1) Stores sell to their customers first.

2) On Saturday, any leftover inventory is able to be sold online and that's where your pre-orders will come in

Personally, if you are overseas and want a lot of these items, I'd bookmark several websites including

Crooked Beat Records in DC

Twist & Shout in Denver

Reckless in Chicago

Dearborn Music in Michigan

Easy Street Records in Seattle

Amoeba in California

and any other store part of the CIMS or AIMS groups (Coalition of Independent Music Stores and the Association of Independent Music Stores).

So basically, for those of you pre-ordering right now, it is a crap shoot and nobody is guaranteed to get anything, considering no store has been sent any product and we don't know how allocations will happen (e.g. 1 store may get 8 copies of an item, while the next only gets one copy).

I'm really confused by the ordering system through Strictly Discs. I have an Order Number and then I can view a Request List with all of the items I selected within that list. Is there no Checkout I need to complete? All the items just have a status of Requested

No, there is no checkout.

You give them everything that they need to place the order (credit card info and address), so just make sure that you have your list as you would your order sooner than later because when they start filling orders they'll charge you.

Everything will read as "requested" until this happens as they can't assure you that you'll get your items until they receive their stock and start allotting LPs.

And I do agree with oojavaguru that it is a crapshoot, but at least they'll tell you what you're definitely not getting before you can pick these up in a brick and mortar store.

I know I'll get hate for this, but has anyone found out what (if any) color Skrillex will be on? I'm just really hoping for another glow in the dark... not only to make the 1st press unimportant for all those people charging 400 dollars for it, but mainly because I want a GITD record and I think this one would be a cool one to have.

EDIT:

I just found out they are 180 Gram Black... Oh Well.

yeah, it's kinda like one of those things where if there's something you want, you want it. and if there's not something you want, you probably don't.

holy shit.. mind blown

BTW, per http://www.strictlyd...ntheknow?id=195 the Incubus releases are:

Crow Left

Light Grenades

Make Yourself

SCIENCE (thank fucking God)

and Morning View

I recommend ordering here.

Last year I placed an order of 20+ items and was only unable to get one or two things (Sufjan Stevens & Po and Fathers)

And I got a lot of high demand low press items (Phish Pollack edition, Eddie Vedder)

Stoked. Stoked. Stoked for S.C.I.E.N.C.E.