Reusing Mailers

do people really expect the person who sells 2 or 3 records on ebay or other avenues once a year if that to buy brand new mailers? where can you even buy brand new mailers in under 10 count?

if you're selling off your entire collection of hundreds or thousands of records then yes, you probably should buy new mailers unless you somehow have the space at your home to save that many mailers. now if i got a record from a distro or label in a used mailer then i might be upset. at this point every distro or label (no matter the size) that carries records should have the proper, brand new, mailing supplies for records on hand at all times.

I've been charged 4 to 5 bucks for media mail shipping and received records in obviously recycled mailers with an actual shipping charge on the package of about 2.50 to 3.50 from time to time. You get taken for a buck or two sometimes. Sucks.

thats the shipping cost. the delivery confirmation is like 75 cents more. plus i have to drive to the post office, wait inline etc.

The avergae package to ship one record costs me about 4 bucks. Is making a dollar on the entire process wrong?

I dont think so at all

It's not even like you make any money by reusing mailers. At one point or another someone paid for that mailer and they incorporated it into the shipping price you paid to get a record. Therefore, you actually did pay for the mailer. So it is only fair to incorporate that cost when you eventually reuse said mailer since it was paid for by you in the original shipping cost when you received it.

Yes, there will be some people who get mailers from friends or for free somehow. In the end they are only getting an extra dollar like others have said, so you can't really complain.

The idea that someone is doing something wrong by charging $5 for shipping and it only cost them $4 so they sneakily made a dollar is retarded.

When you agree to a deal, on here, ebay, with a label, or a distro, you are agreeing to pay x dollars for a record shipped to your door by a certain postal mode. If $5 is too much shipping on an LP, then bid a dollar less (or don't buy the record from the store). Trying to micromanage what is for the record and what is for shipping is a waste of time (which is why smartly, 95% of prices quoted on here are ppd).

Brought this up originally because I do it fairly often when trading or selling something from my collection, and I've always made an effort to improve the mailer by peeling off prior shipping labels (so the person can reuse it themselves) or crossing out sharpie notes or whatever.

I had someone complain about it yesterday, albeit slightly sarcastically (and I used a pretty solid Rainbo Records mailer with 3 filler pads) and I wanted to make sure I wasn't being a cheap bastard.

I think it's kind of cool in a weird way. I've gotten recycled mailers from both distros and ebay/discogs/etc that have had multiple shipping addresses buried in various places on the package. Kind of cool to see how the box has shipped records to a number of places internationally.

I think it's kind of cool in a weird way. I've gotten recycled mailers from both distros and ebay/discogs/etc that have had multiple shipping addresses buried in various places on the package. Kind of cool to see how the box has shipped records to a number of places internationally.

was thinking that too. Would be cool to have a little area where you could write your state/country or something on it to see where it's been, Sort of like wheresgeorge.com