Racist, sexist, homophobic, etc tweeters exposed

So this is becoming kind of a big deal on my campus. Basically they take racist, sexist, homophobic tweets and post them on the website in an effort to stop people from doing such things. I actually know a couple of the people with tweets featured on here. I think it's a good thing because it gets people thinking about what they say online, but is it actually going to do anything to solve the issue? Thoughts?

There's also supposedly one for Ohio State.

http://unl-haters.tumblr.com/

the internet has made it possible for every idiot to type out and post their rambling stream of consciousness for everyone to see. personally I like when people are called out for being dicks, but that’s just me.

It's something they publicly said to all their friends and followers already. They might enjoy their comments being broadcast this way, as if their message is reaching more people.

Best thing to do with racists is just refuse to acknowledge their stupid thoughts (provided they don't cross the line from bigot to criminal).

Free speech protects assholes and bigots too (to a point. I didn't see anyone on there trying to rally for a lynching). Just inappropriate jokes that would make me unfollow.

This. Free speech is protected so long as its not inciteful, although I do feel people have should call out other people for being an asshole or a bigot. Its not illegal to post dumb, ignorant, and hateful shit but it doesn't make it any less wrong.

It's a nice gesture toward those offended, but I don't think it'll do anything.

Honestly, it's twitter. If you have an account, you can control what you do and don't see.

Even if people stopped posting racist, sexist, and homophobic things, they would still be thinking it, and the main problem would still exist.

Go fuck yourself Ohio. You always have a smart ass comment but no insight.

In other words; get off my balls already dude. I appreciate the attention but it's no longer flattering.

Usually I don't have to explain irony, but sure ok. You were calling racists and ignorant "tweeters" bitches for posting ignorant shit. It's like they called someone an Arab or Jew and you called them a bitch. Fighting fire with fire (I will give you insight on this analogy as well if needed.) Enforcing Internet users to take a test for competency to use and gain Internet access is completely un-realistic and defeats the purpose of the Internet.

Also, I had no idea I've been following your posts around like you're implying. Either way I'm doing the whole "worlds smallest violin" with my fingers right now.

Good. Bitches need to be held accountable for the ignorant shit they say online.

I still advocate that internet access should be a privileged and not a right (like driving). If you can't act like a civilized adult than you shouldn't be able to use it.

This goes against the premises free speech and net neutrality. You would actually welcome the restriction of content or access to content on the internet, which has flourished because it's an open forum? Amazing.

This goes against the premises free speech and net neutrality. You would actually welcome the restriction of content or access to content on the internet, which has flourished because it's an open forum? Amazing.

Let's not get ridiculous. if there was a jump to conclusions mat you'd be crisco-twistering all over that motherfucker. I think we all understand what he meant..as if it would EVER happen.

i see nothing wrong with creating a blog/feed that calls out people for being racist, sexist, homophobic, ect. its not restricting free speech, its just showing peoples true colors. racists can say whatever they want, they'll still be racists, and everyone should know that.

i see nothing wrong with creating a blog/feed that calls out people for being racist, sexist, homophobic, ect. its not restricting free speech, its just showing peoples true colors. racists can say whatever they want, they'll still be racists, and everyone should know that.

I'm extremely racist and sexist online for the simple fact that is pisses of the over sensitive type of idiots. Yes I find it funny but I've always had a dark sense of humor

Well, of all the stupid, boring Internet personas out there, you definitely chose the stupidest, most boring one.