Does anyone have/has used a 'Vinyl Flat'?

So, I received a record in the mail today and unfortunately, it was warped. Anyways. I started to look at "safe" solutions to un-warp a vinyl record. I came across the usual techniques ("glass/oven", "books/flat service", etc.) and the stumbled upon "Vinyl Flat". Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.vinylflat.com

• 1 year later...

Somewhat wavering on this one... on sale till the 31st. Will probably end up getting that hot pocket (groovy pouch, as it's called), since I don't want to mess with the oven. An abundance of warped records and just want something that works.

Anybody have one, and can testify to the validity of it?

You should send an email to Matt from Earth Analog Records (and Hum).  He used a Vinyl Flat with the leftover Hum vinyl he was/is selling.  This is what his site said about it:

* I am opening each record and making sure it will play ok on a decent turntable. Any record which does not perform well gets flattened using a device I purchased called the Vinyl Flat. It’s safe for the record and, in all cases so far, it’s worked. (Thank you to the nice folks at Vinyl Flat for loaning me a second one of these to help speed up the process!)

I bought one about a year ago. I use the bag/AC adapter combo they sell instead of attempting the oven method. It works, yes, but it takes MUCH longer than they say it does. Mild warps can be taken out in a 3-4 hours but a major warp (the kind that would make a record unplayable) takes about 8-12 hours.

Good to hear some discussion about this. I was curious about how well this thing worked myself. Still considering getting one but I do feel like there's home-made solutions that might work just as well for cheaper.

I might just go for it to try it out since they do actually offer a 30-day money back guarantee.

I also just read a "review" from pbthal, whom I assume most of you are familiar with, and he speaks very highly of his success with Vinyl Flat. Most the reviews I've read seem pretty good.

I guess my only concern would be baking unwanted crap into the record. Obviously before using Vinyl Flat, you should probably do everything you can to ensure the record is as clean and pristine as possible before starting the flattening process. Other than that, it does seem relatively straight-forward and successful.

• 5 years later...

Bump!

Ok so just received my vinyl flat today! I've purchased quite a few records that have arrived warped. Enough so that warranted me buying this contraption!

I have several types of warped records. I have the "dished" type and I have the type that kinda looks wavy as it spins. I have others but they don't appear like I can do anything about them (heat bubbles).

My main reason for purchasing this is because several years ago I purchased a original blue Soundgarden Badmotorfinger (already had a warp) at a really cheap price. But what tipped the scale was when I recently received the QOTSA Lullabies To Paralyze warped.

Wondering if anyone has tried it on really rare records and got good results.

Also any tips would be awesome!

Thx

Be careful using the pouch.

There is a guy on You Tube that ruined his red Blade Runner soundtrack by leaving it in the pouch too long. 😱

Might be better off just leaving the record in the Vinyl Flat for around 6 months at room temperature, and then just take a look at it.

Edited by Plarocks

I want one of those, or a Furutech Air Tight disc flattener. Preferably one of the later models that will fix later LP pressings with no groove guard.

VERY high priced, but I have a LOT of records, a LOT of them are sealed. And, I have a handful of very rare ones that are warped.

I will just listen to my other records until I have the cash. 🤑

Edited by Plarocks