So here's the bottom line, I'm moving and I decided I wanted to completely get a whole new setup. My price for everything all together is probably going to be roughly $400 - $500. I'm not looking for completely high end stuff, but I am looking for decent stuff that's good. Nothing dirt cheap (though I hear good things about preamps). I'm just looking for some guidance for everything. I need a turntable, preamp, and speakers. Hit me with what you recommend. Thank you in advance!

My price for everything all together is probably going to be roughly $400 - $500. I am looking for decent stuff that's good. Nothing dirt cheap

So your statements here contradict each other. $500 for a whole setup is going dirt cheap. You're basically saying you are only going to spend $150 on each component. Now a decent turntable that's good will cost at least $300. That U-Turn table is unavailable and currently untested, except by some college dorks who created it. I would suggest updating piece by piece. Like, spend $400 on an awesome turntable. Then save up and drop a few hundred into a nice set of speakers. And do the same for a integrated amp or receiver. Bump up that budget, its worth it.

So your statements here contradict each other. $500 for a whole setup is going dirt cheap. You're basically saying you are only going to spend $150 on each component. Now a decent turntable that's good will cost at least $300. That U-Turn table is unavailable and currently untested, except by some college dorks who created it. I would suggest updating piece by piece. Like, spend $400 on an awesome turntable. Then save up and drop a few hundred into a nice set of speakers. And do the same for a integrated amp or receiver. Bump up that budget, its worth it.

In what alternate universe (besides delusion) does this exist?

I do agree with the suggested course of action.

I've been thinking of doing everything piece by piece. That's actually the route I'm most likely going to go. Once I move I'll be fine to spend whatever on a new set up. I'm really looking for recommendations (specific turntables and such). I just need everything to be pleasing to my ears. The turntable I have no is cheap and it was given to me as a gift. It sounds really muffled.

Awesome can certainly be relative.

I think the Carbon is defintely the best new TT under $400. Going up, the RP1 might be a better table and arm combo, but the fact that it comes with the OM5e could keep it from being worth the extra $50 for me. I would say that the Carbon is a good table, but not awesome.

I'm sure there are more people with $1000+ TT's but just don't post regularly or comment in this sub forum.

To stay on topic: Yes, start with a nice new TT. The worst it will do is out match your other parts and you can work up to it as you go. As long as you have the intention of upgrading everything over time, the source is the best place to start.

You mean there are 3 people with $1000 + tables? We should form a club where we sip tea and eat crumpets and scoff at these dregs of society. In all honesty you can find incredible deals on starter tables through audiogon, vinylengine, eBay, Craigslist and such. You just have to do research and look around. If you don't really want to make a big commitment just want something to play records get an at-lp60 for the table and go from there. This can be an expensive hobby just in hardware alone. Good luck.

Oh crap ... I can't join the club. My turntable only sounds like $1000.

I agree with most of the advice given here. If you're ready to make the leap, then don't try to spread $500 over several different pieces. Granted, someone (like me) who really knows what they're doing, what to look for and where to find it could probably take that budget and put together a setup that's better than average, but I'd much rather you start with a really solid foundation and sink that money into your turntable. After that, save your money, make do with what you've got in the meantime and then start investing in the other stuff in the future.

As for not being able to get an AWESOME turntable for $400 ... well, it's all relative. Get the right gear to compliment something like the Debut Carbon and I have no problem with anyone declaring its awesome-ocity. And conversely, anyone can buy a $1000+ turntable; it doesn't mean it's going to sound good, especially if you don't know what the hell you're doing.