Question for anyone who has both pressings of The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me (Brand New)

I'm tired of waiting around for a cheap copy to turn up, I'm just ready to pull the trigger on any buy it now listing and blow my wad all over this record.

So. There are essentially two pressings, put out by two labels. Triple Crown, and Academy Fight Song.

The AFS issue obviously wasn't a straight up repress of the TC pressing, as the label art is different for each. They weren't supplied the same artwork, and this leads me to believe that weren't supplied anything... Art files, masters, stampers/mothers, etc.

We have two products which at first glance seem identical, (although I have never seen either in person), I believe they can vary greatly in more ways than have been documented thus far. So, since I'm sure we have at least a few collectors here who have both variants, perhaps you could help out and document these things.

Are there any differences that you have noticed between the pressings?

How is the quality of the artwork and printing? Is one sharper or have better colors than the other?

How does the sound compare?

Most importantly (for me at least), what are the etchings in the deadwax for each pressing?

Thanks in advance guys, this will really help me decide which one I want. Currently I'm leaning towards the Triple Crown pressing, but my choice could change. It could also turn out that they're identical sonically, and then I personally really wouldn't give a shit which one I got.

Also, Jesse meme thread.

I don't have them both in front of me, but if I remember correctly, my fave part of the AFS press was that the texture was different--the jacket was slick/glossy, vs triple's cardboard feel.

But the Triple press includes a 12" square lyric sheet, and some of the lyrics are a bit different. I think that lyric sheet is the best part of either of the pressings, so I'd vote triple crown.

Oh, but then you'd miss out on AFS' awesome color variants...decisions, decisions. I'm no help: Buy both.

Only have the Triple Crown pressing, but I've heard that it's just a better pressing in general than the AFS one.

And it comes with a lyric sheet.

I'm at school though so I can't tell you anything about the etchings, but nothing special (if that's what you were looking for)

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Here are my thoughts on the situation.

I feel that the matte finish is a better aesthetic choice as well, based on the album art.

Can't remember if it was triple crown or AFS that replicated the sticker on the front cover like the CD, but I really like that. I think it was triple crown.

As for the deadwax, I'm really curious if they match up in terms of what is pressed, if the matrix numbers match up, handwritten or machine stamped, etc.

it would be nice if triple crown provided AFS with metalwork for the record. In this case, they would be identical. But I would be surprised if this was supplied to them.

Worst case scenario, they are both cut from the CD, even in that case, I could choose between which one used a better mastering chain or more experienced engineer, since two different approaches would produce two different sounding records. Even two cuts made by the same engineer on the same equipment would sound different. I guess eventually I'd get both and compare.

In a good case scenario, I would think that triple crown would have access to a higher quality master, since they, you know, own the record. In which case I lean towards picking that one.

Best case scenario, they're identical and then I just pick whichever one's prettiest!

The sound quality of the disc is the most important to me, otherwise I'd be content with the CD. I posted a thread in the past here about the reissue of Your Favorite Weapon, as I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the mastering on that one. (Thread started a shit-show here, it's still up if you care to read it. I think.)

Now that I think of it, Triple Crown put that out too, right? Odds are it was cut by the same set of ears and it sounded like ass, maybe the AFS is the one for me since they most likely had it cut elsewhere.

my devil & god its like youre buying a car.

the AFS packing is streets ahead of TC. and they both sound awesome.

the color choices are also much better for AFS. red, white, and marble are all kind of lame.. they do nothing for the albums aesthetic.

I get what you're saying. I personally choose to put just as much effort and research into a product whether it is a car, a 1 dollar record, or a 100 dollar record. And if I'm going to be dropping a bill or more on a record, you'd better believe I'd put a bit of effort and research into the purchase.

But not everyone has the patience to do this, or just don't care. More power to you/them.

I have the blue/black swirl by AFS and the white by Triple Crown. As stated before, the main differences between the two are as follows:

AFS:

Shiny, gloss gatefold

Inner sleeves are plain black

Copy of the cd booklet in larger format

TCR:

Matte/cardboard gatefold

Inner sleeves are cd inner cover

Lyric sheet

Plastic (if still sealed or on the record) has a white sticker with the album title

Now for some of the other information you are looking for:

Looking at both of them side by side I'd say I prefer the TCR just for the simple fact of the lyric sheet but as far as clarity/quality of artwork the AFS wins as the artwork is brighter and much clearer and the color choices (in my opinion) are much better. Both records feel and look to be the same weight but don't quote me on that.

Other differences:

The center labels on the AFS say "The Devil" (A1) "& God" (A2) "Are Raging" (B1) "Inside Me" (B2) along with the tracks that are on each side. The center labels for the TCR pressing simply show a circular timeline with the track length for the songs pressed on that side and an "A" "B" "C" or "D" to tell you which side you're listening too, however it does not tell you the song titles, though I'm sure if you're dropping the money on this you know the general album flow and which song is where.

Matrix info:

TCR says "8506-TPC 103099-1 (A) S-70526 XC" on side 1 and the only change for each side is that the "(A)" changes to a B, C and D and the serial number changes to S-70527, S-70528, S-70529.

AFS says "B001-39460-1-A", "B001-39460-1-B-RE-1", "B001-39460-1-C-RE-1" and "B001-39460-1-D-RE-1".

As for sound quality I can't help out as I currently have a crappy Crosley that I'm working on upgrading.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

I have the blue/black swirl by AFS and the white by Triple Crown. As stated before, the main differences between the two are as follows:

AFS:

Shiny, gloss gatefold

Inner sleeves are plain black

Copy of the cd booklet in larger format

TCR:

Matte/cardboard gatefold

Inner sleeves are cd inner cover

Lyric sheet

Plastic (if still sealed or on the record) has a white sticker with the album title

Now for some of the other information you are looking for:

Looking at both of them side by side I'd say I prefer the TCR just for the simple fact of the lyric sheet but as far as clarity/quality of artwork the AFS wins as the artwork is brighter and much clearer and the color choices (in my opinion) are much better. Both records feel and look to be the same weight but don't quote me on that.

Other differences:

The center labels on the AFS say "The Devil" (A1) "& God" (A2) "Are Raging" (B1) "Inside Me" (B2) along with the tracks that are on each side. The center labels for the TCR pressing simply show a circular timeline with the track length for the songs pressed on that side and an "A" "B" "C" or "D" to tell you which side you're listening too, however it does not tell you the song titles, though I'm sure if you're dropping the money on this you know the general album flow and which song is where.

Matrix info:

TCR says "8506-TPC 103099-1 (A) S-70526 XC" on side 1 and the only change for each side is that the "(A)" changes to a B, C and D and the serial number changes to S-70527, S-70528, S-70529.

AFS says "B001-39460-1-A", "B001-39460-1-B-RE-1", "B001-39460-1-C-RE-1" and "B001-39460-1-D-RE-1".

As for sound quality I can't help out as I currently have a crappy Crosley that I'm working on upgrading.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Thank. You. So. Much. This thread should be stickied just for this post, this is the perfect and definitive post on this title.

That settles it, they sound different. I have no idea in what ways (yet), but I'm willing to bet that the label that owns the recording had better access to a good master than the label who licensed it. Less compression at the very least, and possibly higher resolution.

Triple Crown for me. I'll post comparisons when I receive it (ill probably make the purchase in a week or two.)

I bought both when they came out and did some listenings for comparison. If I had to say one was better, I'd go with the Triple Crown version. Sounded more open and less compressed. It's still a loud album, but I'd say the mastering is at least equal to the CD.

The CD (while it does suffer from some heavy compression) is actually not that bad compared to alot of other recent albums. I figured they'd put even less compression on the vinyl mastering. This record must really shine when all the dynamics are intact.

well ill sell you one of my TCs

PM me with some of the details and I'll definitely consider buying one. Otherwise it's just eBay for me haha

didn't triple crown hint that a repressing might be in the works down the line? i thought i read an interview recently where at the very least they didn't flat out deny ever wanting to do another one. correct me if i'm wrong and sorry if this is totally old news.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2896402

• 1 month later...

The CD (while it does suffer from some heavy compression) is actually not that bad compared to alot of other recent albums. I figured they'd put even less compression on the vinyl mastering. This record must really shine when all the dynamics are intact.

PM me with some of the details and I'll definitely consider buying one. Otherwise it's just eBay for me haha

Did you end up getting one?

Did you end up getting one?

Nawww. We messaged back and forth and he said he had 3 of the triple crown press he could sell, and said he'd send some pictures. Never heard back from him though. So I'm still looking, unfortunately. I'd take any version of the triple crown. Heck, I'd even take the AFS with the hopes that I could trade it for the triple crown.