Record Bowl - Without folds or ripples?

I'm guessing you need a mold and a special press to make this...I can't even conceive of a DIY method to doing this without essentially, re-casting a record with a heated mold.

Yeah, Justin is right. You'd need a special mold. I've tried to replicate this so many times, with no avail.

My only guess would be to heat it up in the oven and then put over a bowl and then put another bowl the exact same size over that to mold it, it might be perfect but it should be better than the normal way of folding it over a bowl.

just a guess though.

The bowl on top would have to be slightly larger, otherwise they wouldn't stack.

My only guess would be to heat it up in the oven and then put over a bowl and then put another bowl the exact same size over that to mold it, it might be perfect but it should be better than the normal way of folding it over a bowl.

just a guess though.

This will still cause a ton of folds.

Further to the point that was raised that it requires a special mold, it would actually have to heated to the point where it is melted, not just malleable. You cannot reshape a flat circle into a bowl shape, it's physically impossible without folds occurring (try this with a piece of paper).

Basically, there is no point doing this with old records due to the fact that you'd loose the grooves in the process, the grooves on that bowl above are manufactured.

In theory... you could heat it up just shy of being melted and STRETCH it to form that shape, but it would seriously fuck up the grooves, it would look really odd.

Further to the point that was raised that it requires a special mold, it would actually have to heated to the point where it is melted, not just malleable. You cannot reshape a flat circle into a bowl shape, it's physically impossible without folds occurring (try this with a piece of paper).

I have tried this with paper, and, no, it doesn't work :) if you didn't mind "organized" folds, you could model the vinyl bowl after the paper condiment cups at some fast food restaurants

F050.jpg

not saying it's easy (or would work without cracking the vinyl) or looks like the bowl in your picture, but these are flat circles made into bowls